grim22

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw | August 2 2019 | 17th most profitable movie of 2019

39 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Does that then mean Godzilla KOTM was a quality film?

I would say part of the reason why the audience scores are so good is because of the IPs themselves. I don't see Aladdin and TLK getting such good audience reception if they were original films.

I liked KOTM but it had a B+ Cinemascore so it was not high quality to the audience. Yes, Disney's IPs make it easier for their films to appeal to audiences, that doesn't change the fact that to an average audience member, Disney is likely to make more films that they enjoy.

• Like 1

I watched this last night and I'm confused as to why it shouldn't be as big a hit as Fate of the Furious. All the elements are here, everything's just a little funnier... 

The thing that surprised me the most, aside from some cameos and references... was how smartly this screenplay seemed to sort of REBOOT the series? I don't mean like it starts everything over, but... this movie basically sets up a situation where there's a completely parallel "Fast and Furious" series that works in almost the exact same way as the main one, with the same character types (but with better casting all the way around) doing the same jobs all bouncing off each other in similar ways.... It's just now it's not all rooted to being street racers and petty thieves, it's firmly rooted in spy stuff... 

And family, of course. 

editing to add: Preview crowd was very receptive. I liked it, but they definitely liked it more... a lot of clapping and whooping. Very much a pro-wrestling atmosphere in the theater. But that's anecdotal evidence from a single preview screening audience... general audiences are probably not going to react that same way. But the fans sure seemed to love it. 

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Astonished 1

Just saw it. Enjoyed it a lot. It felt like a Fast & Furious movie, but with different characters. It has the crazy cool action scenes and the family theme, just more heavy on comedy. I'm not sure the critics will love it, but I think the fans and GA will. Latin America and most of Asia will eat this up.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I watched this last night and I'm confused as to why it shouldn't be as big a hit as Fate of the Furious. All the elements are here, everything's just a little funnier... 

The thing that surprised me the most, aside from some cameos and references... was how smartly this screenplay seemed to sort of REBOOT the series? I don't mean like it starts everything over, but... this movie basically sets up a situation where there's a completely parallel "Fast and Furious" series that works in almost the exact same way as the main one, with the same character types (but with better casting all the way around) doing the same jobs all bouncing off each other in similar ways.... It's just now it's not all rooted to being street racers and petty thieves, it's firmly rooted in spy stuff... 

And family, of course. 

editing to add: Preview crowd was very receptive. I liked it, but they definitely liked it more... a lot of clapping and whooping. Very much a pro-wrestling atmosphere in the theater. But that's anecdotal evidence from a single preview screening audience... general audiences are probably not going to react that same way. But the fans sure seemed to love it. 

How did you see it early? What country are you in?

I live in America. They do preview screenings for movies all the time here... Studios hire PR firms, and they rent out an auditorium in a multiplex, and they hand out passes to newspapers and radio stations... more like instagram influencers and such now.... and they show the movie a few days early to... hopefully... increase buzz in the region, I guess... 

These screenings are also usually how movie critics see the movies too. There was a whole row of the theater taped off for critics, but there were only about 5 or 6 people sitting in it... 

I've seen a bunch of movies that way... I think the first one I saw like that was one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies... Or maybe it was Watchmen... one of those. 

14 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I live in America. They do preview screenings for movies all the time here... Studios hire PR firms, and they rent out an auditorium in a multiplex, and they hand out passes to newspapers and radio stations... more like instagram influencers and such now.... and they show the movie a few days early to... hopefully... increase buzz in the region, I guess... 

These screenings are also usually how movie critics see the movies too. There was a whole row of the theater taped off for critics, but there were only about 5 or 6 people sitting in it... 

I've seen a bunch of movies that way... I think the first one I saw like that was one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies... Or maybe it was Watchmen... one of those. 

I'm aware of this, no need to be condescending. I said HOW did you see it early. Are you a critic? A radio host? What got you into the press screening.

Edited by Avatree

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I'm aware of this, no need to be condescending. I said HOW did you see it early. Are you a critic? A radio host? What got you into the press screening.

I wasn't being condescending! I legitimately didn't know if you knew about it because of the way you asked... because I figured you would have assumed it was a regular preview screening otherwise. My friend who is a very big Fast and Furious fan got passes and asked me to come with him. 

Sorry that you felt condescended to, I just didn't know if you knew....

5 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I wasn't being condescending! I legitimately didn't know if you knew about it because of the way you asked... because I figured you would have assumed it was a regular preview screening otherwise. My friend who is a very big Fast and Furious fan got passes and asked me to come with him. 

Sorry that you felt condescended to, I just didn't know if you knew....

Do you see the bit under my avatar where it says "20,000 posts", yes I have heard of press screenings before.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nova said:

I’m starting to think that Universal knew this was gonna turn out to be a stinker which is why they backed out of The Rock’s movie that ended up going to Netflix :ph34r: 

I was really excited yet for that film cus of Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot but then I realized it's from the writer/director of Skyscraper:bagoverhead:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Only three Disney movies were considered better than the bunch. Disney is winning because of the IPs they own, not the quality of the movies. 

I'm willing to bet that Disney will have a better year critically next year but will make a bit more than half the money it did this year.

Maybe by critics, but that doesn’t mean much. Looking at audience reception tells the more important story.    

Disney’s movie are regarded well in part because of the IPs, yes. That doesn’t negate the quality, it’s just a factor in it.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Vin doesn't have much to laugh at cause nobody sees his non-Fast & Furious movies unless he's playing a talking tree. February's Bloodshot sounds like another bomb for him.

I see XxX and Riddick myself of which I'd see future installments if/when they get off the ground.

I'm very, very, very curious and excited about Bloodshot. I'm waiting on trailers myself.