aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

Variety 

Blade Runner 2049” is heading for a respectable $45 million opening weekend at 4,058 North American sites, early estimates showed on Friday.

THR

Denis Villeneuve's ambitious sci-fi sequel Blade Runner 2049 is winning the Friday box-office race in North America for a projected weekend debut in the $43 million-$45 million range, according to early returns.

That would be on par with another long-gestating sequel, Mad Max: Fury Road, which debuted to $45.4 million in May 2015, but behind such October releases as record-holder Gravity ($55.8 million) and The Martian ($54.3 million).

Playing in 4,058 locations, Blade Runner's projected Friday haul of $17 million-$18 will include $4 million in Thursday evening previews. (Imax theaters turned in $800,000 of the $4 million.)

• Like 1

Just now, Alli said:

There's no reason this will go down from estimates. It's received very well, unlike Kingsman and Ninjago

Yeah it has a good chance of settling between 17-18...maybe 19.

38 minutes ago, a2knet said:

With 2.6 Friday IT is looking at 9m and not 10m imo..... 2.6 + 4.1 (+58%) + 2.3 (-44%) = 9

Probably hoping for bigger Sundays with Monday being a federal holiday in the US (although not one like Labor Day where everyone gets the day off - it's probably more like 50-60%, although it also tends to be Fall Break at a lot of colleges)...

6 minutes ago, Alli said:

There's no reason this will go down from estimates. It's received very well, unlike Kingsman and Ninjago

I wouldn't say that...the striking 70-30% male/female breakdown doesn't bode as well for upticks - you're missing the other 2 demos, and there are so many male-focused movies that are good in the theaters right now, and most of them aren't sequels...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Probably hoping for bigger Sundays with Monday being a federal holiday in the US (although not one like Labor Day where everyone gets the day off - it's probably more like 50-60%, although it also tends to be Fall Break at a lot of colleges)...

Yeah in that case could creep in higher. (35% Sun drop will give it 9.4 using a 58% Sat bump and 2.6 Fri)

Sometimes preview to OW multipliers workout differently. Dunkirk, an original did 5.5=>50.51 = 9.2x ... while a tri-quel in War of Apes did 5.0=>56.26 = 11.25x.

I think that was in part due to IMAX front-loading but the numbers still surprised me.

BR49 though is outside summer and it should not do less than 11x, or 44 ow imo. Else it's not good for much more than 2.9-3x overall multi (130 dom).

12x for 48 ow would be very healthy.

Edited by a2knet

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Sometimes preview to OW multipliers workout differently. Dunkirk, an original did 5.5=>50.51 = 9.2x ... while a tri-quel in War of Apes did 5.0=>56.26 = 11.25x.

I think that was in part due to IMAX front-loading but the numbers still surprised me.

BR49 though is outside summer and it should not do less than 11x, or 44 ow imo. Else it's not good for much more than 2.9-3x overall multi (130 dom).

12x for 48 ow would be very healthy.

Nolan's name is like a sequel. His power

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Nolan's name is like a sequel. His power

what would be really front-loaded is a film called Nolan, directed by Nolan.

And then Nolan Returns would do 1.5x.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 2

26 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot that I have Monday off. 

• Like 1

Just got out of AM. It was alright, a little long. But holy FUCK people need to shut up. I had to tell a group of seniors behind me to shut up like 10 minutes before the movie ended and they were so APPALLED that I told them to be quite. Ughhhhh 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Just got out of AM. It was alright, a little long. But holy FUCK people need to shut up. I had to tell a group of seniors behind me to shut up like 10 minutes before the movie ended and they were so APPALLED that I told them to be quite. Ughhhhh 

I hate when that happens. Insidious 2 is still one of my worst theater experiences precisely because some teenager girls standing close to me, wouldn't shut-up for the first thirty minutes. It's beyond obnoxious. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

Reading the old topic, early estimates had "The Martian" at 17m-18m as well. 

yeah it did 18.1 od and 54+ ow.

though the od split was 2.5 + 15.6.

if br49 does 18 od then the split is 4 + 14.

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I had to tell a group of seniors behind me to shut up like 10 minutes before the movie ended and they were so APPALLED that I told them to be quite. Ughhhhh 

Seniors are terrible. I hate confrontation, but I've learned the hard way it's best to shut them down right at the start. Lincoln, Side Effects and Inside Llewyn Davis were the worst ones.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

I fortunately haven't had a bad theater experience in a long time. The last time I remember is right when TDKR released and a work acquaintance was texting constantly. Didn't know him well and he was higher up, so didn't say much. But could here the click click typing noise throughout right in my ears. Add to that talking through the mask and I barely understood Bane.

edit: he was using a blackberry so no touchscreen. that's why the clicking noise. not to mention the distracting screen light in peripheral vision. no wonder I too gave it only a B+.

Edited by a2knet
  • Sad 1