aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals ~ BR2049 32.753M :((, TMBU 10.551M, It 9.972M, MLP:TM 8.885M, K:TGC 8.675M, AM 8.446M, TLNM 7.002 M, V&A 4.171M | All those posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

That's gonna be a bit of a problem for me. Still, I've watched plenty of 3hrs movies at the cinema before, it's not a big issue even for those of us with a tiny bladder who are used to having to take a bathroom break during those long movies.

That is why until the 1980's Three hour movies had a breaking point for an intermission built in.  I am a strong advocate for bringing back intermissions for really long movies.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That is why until the 1980's Three hour movies had a breaking point for an intermission built in.  I am a strong advocate for bringing back intermissions for really long movies.

In my experience plenty of European places still do that for even shorter movies and specially kids' movies.

3rd Update, 12:05PM: Alcon Entertainment/Sony’s Blade Runner 2049 is currently looking at an opening day between $17M-$18M, which is in the range that Gravity and The Martian opened at, however, industry estimates at this minute don’t figure that the sequel to Ridley Scott’s 1982 opus will crack $50M. Still TBD. Currently, Blade Runner 2049‘s tracking is between $44M-$46M, right where tracking saw this film all along. A rival distribution chief calls the result “respectable” for this very pricey pic which carries a reported production cost north of $155M net before P&A. Again, Blade Runner 2049‘s three-day is also close to what Mad Max: Fury Road debuted to – $45M- and that was another redux of a cult sci-fi classic. Whether this film legs out, and isn’t frontloaded will be determined by its CinemaScore and further ticket sales tonight.

(link)

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

With 18 OD, could top out at

4 + 14 + 18.2 (+30%) + 11.3 (-38%) = 47.5 OW

That 30% bump from True Friday is suspect though for a sequel to a cult classic cause the preview to OD ratio is not that good.

4 + 14 + 16.8 (+20%) + 10.2 (-39%) = 45 OW seems more realistic.

Edited by a2knet

Lionsgate’s My Little Pony is trotting into second with $3M-$3.5M today and a $10M-$13M opening.

New Line/Warner Bros’ It is unstoppable, and will stick in third place with a $2.6M fifth Friday and $10M weekend, a 41% ease, as the Stephen King movie moves to $305.3M by Sunday.

20th Century Fox/Chernin’s The Mountain Between Us is currently at $3M for today and $8M-$10M for the weekend.

With 2.6 Friday IT is looking at 9m and not 10m imo..... 2.6 + 4.1 (+58%) + 2.3 (-44%) = 9

Edited by a2knet

Very good early numbers for Blade Runner! Considering that the first film really found a following after theaters. And the first film was released at a bad time with having way too many Science Fiction films coming out too close against each other such as ET, The Thing, and Star Trek II:The Wrath Of Kahn all out at the same time. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

$17-18M this early seems like a great sign. Let's see if it can reach $20M with late night sell-outs.

Early numbers are not incomplete numbers. They project the whole day and the numbers don't go up always. KINGSMAN Friday number came down from 17.5 to 15.3. Not that BR49 can't increase, just that "early numbers equals smaller numbers that grow as day progresses" is not true.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

Early numbers are not incomplete numbers. They project the whole day and the numbers don't go up always. KINGSMAN Friday number came down from 17.5 to 15.3.

Not that BR49 can't increase, just that "early numbers equals smaller numbers that grow as day progresses" is not true.

But that is an exception. Most movies increase from early estimates from DHD

fanboys heavy, but deadline seem to show early very good word of mouth:

ComScore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak showed glowing audience reactions: 21% of last night’s crowd said they’d watch the 163-minute movie again in theater, and the sequel hooked an 85% overall positive score. Guys under 25 who attended at 14% responded the best with an 89% overall positive. Men over 25, natch, were the dominant crowd at 56% and a 87% total positive score. Then there were females over 25 (20%, 80% positive) and females under 25 (10% of the crowd, 77% overall positive). Last night’s ticket buyers gave Blade Runner 2049 a shiny 66% overall definite recommend. Sixty-seven percent of Blade Runner 2049‘s crowd last night was walk-up business, while 16% bought their tickets in advance over the last week.

I say seem because I am not use to look at those number much for comparable, but they use the word shiny to influence me.

6 minutes ago, the beast said:

But that is an exception. Most movies increase from early estimates from DHD

Last weekend Ninjago OD came down while AM OD went up. Before that K2's OD came down while IT's OD had gone up a couple weekends earlier.

I would debate 'most' and think it's kinda up in the air.

Again, BR can very well go up, just that I don't think that's the case majority of the times.

Edited by a2knet