Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: BOM || Happy Death Day: $26.5M || Blade Runner: $15.1M || The Foreigner: $12.8M || IT: $6M || Annabelle: Creation at $300m WW

2 hours ago, The Last baumer said:

That seems like a good number for Foreigner and IT looks to finally have a really good hold of about -36%.  I'd love to see Foreigner hit 40 million (doubtful) and IT make a push for 340 (also doubtful).

It's legs haven't been bad at all though, it's held consistently well, especially given the fact that it's pretty limiting who'd be interested in seeing IT (as in being an R horror movie definitely keeps a large chunk of the GA away, so it's still impressive it's pulling off the decent legs that it has)

Edited by The Pumpkin Spice Panda

5 hours ago, Firepower said:

If you ignored BR 2049, but supported HDD - you're shit and disgrace to society.

Nah, you just prefer to support premier concepts to screen over sequels to which you never saw the original...

You also support fun and entertaining adrenaline-pumping movies over slower think pieces...

I didn't see either one, so I don't have a skin in the game, but I'd probably see HDD 1st if you gave me a free ticket to either movie...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

It's legs haven't been bad at all though, it's held consistently well, especially given the fact that it's pretty limiting who'd be interested in seeing IT (as in being an R horror movie definitely keeps a large chunk of the GA away, so it's still impressive it's pulling off the decent legs that it has)

IT will gross $330M, you can be sure that it was embraced by a LARGE part of GA.

But, yeah, legs has been fine, a 2.7x for a Horror movie after a $123m OW is almost so impressive as GO’s multiple, if it were released in Summer, a 3.0x would’ve been locked. 

3 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

IT will gross $330M, you can be sure that it was embraced by a LARGE part of GA.

But, yeah, legs has been fine, a 2.7x for a Horror movie after a $123m OW is almost so impressive as GO’s multiple, if it were released in Summer, a 3.0x would’ve been locked. 

I wasn't saying it didn't appeal to a large sector of the GA.  I'm saying the nature of its genre puts a harder ceiling on it than other movies, dampening its legs when it's pulling such high numbers.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

I wasn't saying it didn't appeal to a large sector of the GA.  I'm saying the nature of its genre puts a harder ceiling on it than other movies, dampening its legs when it's pulling such high numbers.

I don’t think so. If it is appealing to GA since the OW, I see no reason to it be different now, plus, it’s going to finish with the average legs of blockbusters that opens above $100m+, it is playing like a typical blockbuster of any genre.

Edited by Mockingjay Raphael
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I wonder if it will pass SMH. There's a possibility of a Halloween bump leading to great drops over the next 2-3 weeks.

It depends on which part of summer it came out in. The film taking place over the course of summer with the third act set at the "end of summer" complimented the early September release. I think August could have been ideal, especially considering how bare the release schedule was this August. But WB had a sound strategy putting A:C, one of many in a long planned franchise/universe, in August while testing September with the first of just a two-parter (though I guess we shouldn't underestimate studio heads getting greedy and greenlighting It Ch. 3: Pennywise Heads to the Big Apple).  

40 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

I don’t think so. If it is appealing to GA since the OW, I see no reason to it be different now, plus, it’s going to finish with the average legs of blockbusters that opens above $100m+, it is playing like a typical blockbuster of any genre.

I'm not saying it's not appealing to the GA.

Im saying it's had a lower ceiling compared to a non-R, non-horror blockbuster since the beginning.  That doesn't mean it doesn't appeal to the GA or can't pull high numbers, it means it'll dampen the legs because its audience will be reached/saturated more quickly than a film that could appeal to a wider pool.

I was poining out that it's legs are fairly impressive because it's been pulling decent drops despite being a film that should a lower base pool of audience members willing to see it than other 100m+ opening blockbusters.  Part of that is it's most definitely pulled in audience members who don't usually go and see horror movies.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Blum and Wan: two Gods of contemporary horror.

Corrected. Add Andy Muschietti to the mix, and that's 3/4ths of the modern day horror Mount Rushmore right there.

Even if not all Blum produced movies are good (Paranormal Activity, Purge, and so fort), his business model is uncomparably smart and successful. And he still has a strong set of quality control - which is what defines the Blum/Wan horror renaissance: quality movies. The Split-Get Out-Happy Death Day trio alone tells me that very much.

Good for HDD, I guess. Eesh at the Blade Runner numbers. Just got to be glad it got made.

The fact that MLP apparently didn't completely collapse this weekend just makes it all the more of a missed opportunity. Could've been a much bigger hit if it had actually been what I was wanting it to be.