Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Watched Unforgiven today expecting it to be a critique of the western genre (and expected to be completely lost because I barely watch westerns) but it's pretty clear once you watch it's more a criticism of the glorification of violence in cinema and questions what it means to be a hero and a villain. Really powerful film.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Webslinger said:

Just checked out Portrait of a Lady on Fire on Hulu this morning. Y'all seriously need to see it if you haven't already. It's up there with Carol and Call Me by Your Name in the new LGBTQ+ classic canon.

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't like it anywhere near as much as those other two films. Sciamma's directing was way too cold for me.

7 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I feel like I'm the only one who didn't like it anywhere near as much as those other two films. Sciamma's directing was way too cold for me.

I found it mostly tepid and mediocre save for Merlant's performance and an occasional inspired image. If we're gonna compare it to Carol and CMBYN I think those are both so much richer it's not even funny.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lmao, they got Terminator 2, Total Recall, Apocalypse Now, Dead Alive, Reservoir Dogs on their library but they chose the fucking Hunger Games.

Well they have to pick movies that have cultural footprints silly goose.

• Astonished 1

The Baseball 100 concluded today over at The Athletic.

Here is the start of the project which was updated with each and every link:  https://theathletic.com/1457115/2019/12/17/the-baseball-100-a-project-celebrating-the-greatest-players-in-history/

I, of course, have no issues whatsoever with #1. 👍 :) 

Just a fantastic read and a masterpiece through and through. The sheer depth and breath of detail is breathtaking and the love of the game J Poz shines through each and every piece.  But extra love is apparent in all of the Negro League players he spotlighted.  It is clear there just how much he loves the sport and how much passion he has to bring to light the story of the folks in the Negro Leagues.

NB:  The Athletic is currently running a free three month sub program due COVID, so there really is no excuse for any baseball fan not to check this out.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

JB Hi Fi had buy two get one free Blu Rays. I got Knives Out, Jo Jo Rabbit and The Rise of Skywalker. 

I consider TROS as the free one. 

Edit:Coronatrek completed. 22km. 

Our annual charity trek is off this year unfortunately, 26 miles end-to end of the island, 20,000 people, glorious countryside.

isle-of-wight620_1877985b.jpg

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

The Baseball 100 concluded today over at The Athletic.

Here is the start of the project which was updated with each and every link:  https://theathletic.com/1457115/2019/12/17/the-baseball-100-a-project-celebrating-the-greatest-players-in-history/

I, of course, have no issues whatsoever with #1. 👍 :) 

Just a fantastic read and a masterpiece through and through. The sheer depth and breath of detail is breathtaking and the love of the game J Poz shines through each and every piece.  But extra love is apparent in all of the Negro League players he spotlighted.  It is clear there just how much he loves the sport and how much passion he has to bring to light the story of the folks in the Negro Leagues.

NB:  The Athletic is currently running a free three month sub program due COVID, so there really is no excuse for any baseball fan not to check this out.  

Some of the comment wars over Oscar Charleston were yikes

• Sad 1

So ... Would anyone be interested if I ran screenplay writing workshop? It wouldn’t be like teaching or anything. It would just be kind of like a structure timeline with deadlines where you need to write a treatment. And then we workshop and give feedback on the treatment. Idk. Just tossing out that idea

• Like 2