Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

17 hours ago, DAR said:

Yesterday went to the doctor to get an EKG.  Recent family events kind of prompted this.  Got the results, everything came back normal

That's great news @DAR.  

• Thanks 1

has anyone here had a time in there life where they were going to school and 'just focused on that' and then did a lot of movie marathons on the side as a time consuming hobby?  I'm wondering if keeping up with the films and the movie market is distracting when one is registered to be responsible for completing certain rigorous information/research units or classes in fixed 2-3 months time and expect to walk away from an undergrad level class with a masters level knowledge of the given material.

2 hours ago, Thematrixfilm said:

has anyone here had a time in there life where they were going to school and 'just focused on that' and then did a lot of movie marathons on the side as a time consuming hobby?  I'm wondering if keeping up with the films and the movie market is distracting when one is registered to be responsible for completing certain rigorous information/research units or classes in fixed 2-3 months time and expect to walk away from an undergrad level class with a masters level knowledge of the given material.

Actually most of my life is me having to study and doing other things instead so I am not a good advisor in that. 

2 hours ago, Thematrixfilm said:

But in all honesty yep of cource it is distracting, but you just have to ask yourself how much your studies matter for you and how willing you are to give up on things you like to get them finished.

I personally wasted a lot of potential simply because I couldn't discipline myself. I still got a degree and a masters but I was quite a good student so I didn't have to try that hard just to finish those. I used to regret for not focusing more when I was younger but I have stopped to, because I am happy in life right now even If I will not get such a good career as I could. There are other things that matter way more and people most of the time do things they do not like simply to please others.

Edited by FantasticBeasts
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Thematrixfilm said:

As someone that completed his formal studies (The Bar, Masters, etc.) over 2 decades ago I'm not sure my advice is pertinent for the modern era, but I pride myself on my autodidactism since you should never stop learning. 

My advice would be know yourself well enough to know what works best for you. 

Really, everyone is quite different in regards to how they learn, the environment etc. I for example find it much easier these days to read a book in a couple of days that would have taken me weeks in my early twenties. 

At college I used to watch a movie a day, very early in the morning before a run, I felt like it helped me to wake up for the day. During exam periods though I would forgo that ritual and instead watch a movie after the exam as a sort of cooling off exercise.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Premium George said:

hqOLcvM.png&key=4f9eac9f0d43fa19f9c9422b"This is a theater ethan, not your bedroom".

hqOLcvM.png&key=4f9eac9f0d43fa19f9c9422b"This are blurays han, not your lifeline".

hqOLcvM.png&key=4f9eac9f0d43fa19f9c9422b"This is infinity war thread lordmandeep, not tlj bashing thread".

"This is not a Jennifer Lawrence thread futurist!"