Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Uh oh... I just realized John Oliver is censored in China... what does that mean for TLK?

They could just recast him for the Chinese dub/version. It's not like he's dressing up as a bird.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 1

Already mentioned this in the WE thread, but cross-pollinating here for maximum exposure:

This is NOT, I repeat NOT, an April Fools' Day joke.  It can't be embedded or watched on Twitter, however, and must be seen on the YT link.  Also had some reports that it was region locked, so folks outside of the US might not be able to see it.

Regardless, the first episode of the newest version of The Twilight Zone is now up and free to see.  In the US at least.

Edited by Porthos

8 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

...dammit, I was hoping you wouldn't notice :ph34r:

On actual real news, SIC flopped baaaad on Sunday. 2nd week in a row that films have crippled SIC big time. Movies in the afternoons don't work anymore: fact or fiction?

What movies did they chose? I blame people wanting Pimbalhada in their veins. SIC is the issue tho. Movies were big players on Sunday afternoons. Then they decided to unleash their own Pimbalhada which bombed every single Sunday. People lost the habit. 

23 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i watched it and uhhh... it's bad.

I admit it starts off more than a little slow, but I got pulled into it when the 

Spoiler

Death Note

stuff started happening.

It's definitely at a deliberate pace though.  I think "bad" is overselling it by quite a bit.

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What movies did they chose? I blame people wanting Pimbalhada in their veins. SIC is the issue tho. Movies were big players on Sunday afternoons. Then they decided to unleash their own Pimbalhada which bombed every single Sunday. People lost the habit. 

Miss Congeniality 2, which is a 14 year old bomb and just a flat out Godawful choice; and Rogue One, which was a hit in theaters.... but Star Wars movies bomb in Portuguese television all the time. Poor choices, all around, but then again, Wonder Woman and Keeping Up With The Joneses both did great and The Shallows damn near beat Raid The Cage on a Saturday, so who the fuck knows how any film will perform, really.

But yeah, that's SIC's fault for brutally ripping off TVI's strategy, especially since it was more expensive than movies anyway. If that had never happened, SIC would be kicking TVI's ass on Sundays atm. Although, truth be told: seems like SIC's Sunday was weaker than usual all around. I mean, even The Farmer Wants A Wife had its worst Sunday result to date by a fair margin... although, with Stripped at 9% rating (still resilient on 20% share, though), it didn't do bad anyway.

Looking forward to seeing how much will Amor Maior bomb at 2PM and how quick will SIC cancel it.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

12 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Miss Congeniality 2, which is a 14 year old bomb and just a flat out Godawful choice; and Rogue One, which was a hit in theaters.... but Star Wars movies bomb in Portuguese television all the time. Poor choices, all around, but then again, Wonder Woman and Keeping Up With The Joneses both did great and The Shallows damn near beat Raid The Cage on a Saturday, so who the fuck knows how any film will perform, really.

But yeah, that's SIC's fault for brutally ripping off TVI's strategy, especially since it was more expensive than movies anyway. If that had never happened, SIC would be kicking TVI's ass on Sundays atm. Although, truth be told: seems like SIC's Sunday was weaker than usual all around. I mean, even The Farmer Wants A Wife had its worst Sunday result to date by a fair margin... although, with Stripped at 9% rating (still resilient on 20% share, though), it didn't do bad anyway.

Looking forward to seeing how much will Amor Maior bomb at 2PM and how quick will SIC cancel it.

I finally understood some titles!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Started today right? That and Inspector Max at 7 PM should give us some good laughs.

Rogue One doesn't seem like a bad choice really. It is a fun blockbuster with a lot of spectacle.

• Like 1

Watched the whole first episode of the new TZ.  By far the biggest problem is the five minutes of setup, as it's a cold open of a, well, bad comedian.  Sitting through those first few minutes is... Well I said earlier the word "deliberate" and that really is the best way to describe it.  It's very very Old School in its pace, which won't be for everybody.

Once that cold open is over though, it really picks up as it slowly but inexorably tells its story.  So, maybe watch the first minute or two to get an idea of the main character then if it's boring you skip ahead five minutes or so.

Probably give it 6.5/10.  It'd be 9/10 if it wasn't for the really slow beginning.  Think it shows a ton of promise though.

46 minutes ago, TMP said:

Twilight Zone reboot is just bad Black Mirror now

I think it is a little different than Black Mirror in that MAJOR SPOILERS

Spoiler

the protagonist decided to do a selfless thing at the end instead of continuing in their selfish behavior.  Peele has said that ultimately the difference between his show and Black Mirror is that BM is pessimistic about people while TZ isn't.  I can't see the protagnist making THAT choice in an episode of Black Mirror, I'll put it that way.

6 hours ago, LexJoker said:

No unbiased person who is aware of both games will say that a baseball game is more interesting than a T20.

Except Archer for RR and Chahal for RCB, both teams bowling lineup are absolutely thrash.

I've supported RR since the inaugural IPL with Warne and Shane Watson. I suppose I had the option to change to CSK after players merged to be in RPSG (which the 2017 IPL Final still breaks ny heart). SRH has always been my 2nd fav though. Do you have a team?

28 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Started today right? That and Inspector Max at 7 PM should give us some good laughs.

Rogue One doesn't seem like a bad choice really. It is a fun blockbuster with a lot of spectacle.

Yup. And on TVI's side, once Max comes to an end, they're gonna jam Raid The Cage back at 7PM. Incredible.

I thought so too, but then I remembered what The Force Awakens did not too long ago and was like "huh, is this actually going to work?". Aaaaand it didn't. Eish.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

So I take it this Twilight Zone reboot isn't worth diving into.

The first episode was okay at best. The problem is that as audiences who have seen a lot of similar genre takes, you are ahead of the show from almost the start and can predict how the episode will end. That leads to the episode being very slow before arriving at the most obvious climactic point. Also, Black Mirror has dabbled in the space a lot now which informs how most people will watch it as well.

I just watched Lords of Chaos which is about a band called Mayhem. Hadn't heard of them before the film, I was just expecting a normal biopic.

Jeeeeesus. I wanted to throw up and had to glue my eyes to the floor for several scenes.

Awesome film.