Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

16 minutes ago, TMP said:

Joaquin Phoenix's Narnia next.

Also we'll see how it goes, isn't Witcher meant to be a big IP? The trailer was quite bad so I'm not expecting something great

edit: James McAvoy's been in 3 different funny book franchises and his Golden Compass show is apparently good, so maybe there is some hope 

Has sizable established fanbase due to the game (which was adapted from a book), the latest installment selling like 20 million copies. I'm not hugely optimistic about the quality but basically I'll check it out since I liked the game

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

Has sizable established fanbase due to the game (which was adapted from a book), the latest installment selling like 20 million copies. I'm not hugely optimistic about the quality but basically I'll check it out since I liked the game

Yeah, I loved The Witcher 3 (haven't played the other two), so this was always on my radar but I didn't know how far reaching the fan-base was

42 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Amazon paying $250 million for the right to make a LOTR TV show is still insane, it makes the Apple series look cash-strapped.

Not sure that it is that insane,, with how those show financial structure work they cannot get an usual 8 figures + % of the revenues gross (it is around 7.5% I think they usually get), I can imagine it must be pretty much all upfront.

250M in tv, that a season of NCIS before people get their bonus in.

A TV show like Lucifer spent 125M in qualified for tax credit expenditure in California alone for it's season 5, there is a lot of money in American TV right now.

Edited by Barnack

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This felt inevitable. Too bad they're sticking to The CW and not going over to HBO Max where the production values would be higher.

It'd still have the same terrible CW writing staff, maybe it's for the best it gets less money to burn

Just finished The Politician on Netflix and it's probably the most fun I've had watching a TV show in a long time. It's flawed and messy but it doesn't take itself too seriously, is geniunely endearing at times (espescially the relationship between Ben Platt's and Gwyneth Paltrow's character's relationship), and the plot twists are hilariously absurd. I went in expecting a normal high school dramedy but it ended up being so much better. Are the other Ryan Murphy shows similar? I've only heard of Glee and American Horror Story but I don't know if they are anything close to as absurd and unique as The Politician.

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

lol I had forgotten he's in that. But it's a supporting role, unlike these projects.

That Henry Cavill Netflix fantasy show is probably gonna be a no1curr too. All these funny book guys finding themselves on Game of Thrones wannabes. Ah well. If we survived that period a decade ago when everyone was looking for the next Lost as it was ending and didn't find it (remember Flash Forward? Or The Event? Or V?), we can survive the failed quest to find the next Game of Thrones.

What do you mean? We get those shows every year. We’ve had Salvation, Manifest, Emergence(it actually has John Locke) etc. 

38 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

What do you mean? We get those shows every year. We’ve had Salvation, Manifest, Emergence(it actually has John Locke) etc. 

I guess but we only get one or two of them now, it's not like a decade ago when we were being bombarded with mystery types of shows that were clearly aiming to become the next Lost (and none of them succeeded).

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just finished The Politician on Netflix and it's probably the most fun I've had watching a TV show in a long time. It's flawed and messy but it doesn't take itself too seriously, is geniunely endearing at times (espescially the relationship between Ben Platt's and Gwyneth Paltrow's character's relationship), and the plot twists are hilariously absurd. I went in expecting a normal high school dramedy but it ended up being so much better. Are the other Ryan Murphy shows similar? I've only heard of Glee and American Horror Story but I don't know if they are anything close to as absurd and unique as The Politician.

Basically there are two types of Ryan Murphy shows: the prestigious, extremely well-acted ones (both seasons of American Crime Story, Feud: Bette & Joan), and then there are the really messy/trashy ones (Glee after its first season, most seasons of American Horror Story, Scream Queens). The Politician is definitely much closer to the latter group than to the former.

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Not sure that it is that insane,, with how those show financial structure work they cannot get an usual 8 figures + % of the revenues gross (it is around 7.5% I think they usually get), I can imagine it must be pretty much all upfront.

250M in tv, that a season of NCIS before people get their bonus in.

Well sure but NCIS is one of the most successful shows in network TV history, with 20+ episodes for a season.

And more importantly, that is $250 million just for the rights to LOTR, before one script is written. It is up to Amazon to spend everything after that to make the actual show.

Edited by MrGlass2

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

And more importantly, that is $250 million just for the rights to LOTR, before one script is written. It is up to Amazon to spend everything after that to make the actual show.

Well yes but under the previous paradigm we would have heard of a much smaller price for the rights but something like 7.5% of the lifetime show revenues would have been included over time into that number without us knowing about it.

They bought a minimum of 5 seasons apparently and I imagine with the possibility of doing more, that at max 50M a season (2.5M an episode for S1 less than having some pair of big actor appearing on some big tv show type of deal and arguably the franchise is bigger than any pair of actor that would accept to be on tv), if they would have bought it 5M + 7.5% instead, that is them estimating being able to generate 600M of revenues by a season of 20 episodes, considering how much they are spending outside the rights and I imagine that is something that could be a value number they have in mind for such a flagship affair.

If it end up a billion dollar affair for 100 episode of a flag ship Lord of the Rings series, with the international reach that something like would have, 10M an episode would not be bad at all for a big production large scale series, now if it fail it would be an enormously costly failure, but the hail Mary sound at an price that make sense here.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1