Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Well yes but under the previous paradigm we would have heard of a much smaller price for the rights but something like 7.5% of the lifetime show revenues would have been included over time into that number without us knowing about it.

True but that is for a successful show. Of course there is a ton of money in television, something like Seinfeld becomes a gold mine over the years. But to pay that much upfront, it only makes sense if it actually becomes a new Game of Thrones.

It is true that LOTR is a great, perhaps the best, "available" franchise for a prestige drama. If you want a "GoT clone", why not use the thing that GoT is a "clone" of? Tolkien's books are classics read by tens of millions. Not to mention the success and acclaim of the movies. But still... $250M is a huge bet. It doesn't make any financial sense to pay so much before producing the pilot. A quick search indicates that GRRM makes about $15 million per year from GoT, and that was almost a best case scenario (he also wrote a few episodes and consulted, while the Tolkien family does nothing for the show).

No, Amazon is throwing money around to capture subscribers, that's all there is to it. But they can only do so because they have a gazillion dollar war chest, that has little to do with the logic of the existing television business.

So it is fair to call it:

That eye-popping figure is just for the adaptation and production rights; on top of that $250 million, Amazon will need to spend hundreds of millions more to develop a program (or programs), hire writers, producers, actors and crew, and fund the production of episodes.

The word most commonly used in entertainment industry circles to describe the deal has been “insane.” It is by orders of magnitude the biggest TV rights deal in history for a literary property.

12 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Wow. Just wow.

Words cannot express how much I hate those DC CW shows.

They're the absolute bottom of the barrel of funnybook content. Probably worse than Dark Phoenix too. Disney+ is pouring $200m into a hawkguy show and HBO just debuted Watchmen, but the CW stuff still feels like some middle schoolers short film; bad use of after effects and all. I mean they literally just cut her frame and keyframed her moving the left to simulate flying, lmfao 

24 minutes ago, TMP said:

They're the absolute bottom of the barrel of funnybook content. Probably worse than Dark Phoenix too. Disney+ is pouring $200m into a hawkguy show and HBO just debuted Watchmen, but the CW stuff still feels like some middle schoolers short film; bad use of after effects and all. I mean they literally just cut her frame and keyframed her moving the left to simulate flying, lmfao 

Embarrassing haha!

I mean, it's clear these shows are made for young teenagers and I don't know how much they care about this stuff. All they care about is smoking hot actors and actresses and juicy relationship drama. That's why I tuned out of Arrow after awhile, because it was going that route.

2 hours ago, TMP said:

What else would you expect from the network that gave us this?

• Haha 2

@CJohn Terra Brava premiered to 15.4% / 30.7%. Another behemoth for SIC. They are virtually unstoppable at this point.

Mind you, Saturday saw TVI pull a nice surprise out of their ass. Mental Samurai did wayyyy better than expected. Not good enough to come close to SIC's Árvore dos Desejos, but the 1st time in a while they saw 20%+ share on prime time. And Who Knew? (Ver P'ra Crer) has been doing okay results against the expectations as well. (Apart from that, TVI has been floptastic, as usual.)

Edited by MCKillswitch123

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@CJohn Terra Brava premiered to 15.4% / 30.7%. Another behemoth for SIC. They are virtually unstoppable at this point.

Mind you, Saturday saw TVI pull a nice surprise out of their ass. Mental Samurai did wayyyy better than expected. Not good enough to come close to SIC's Árvore dos Desejos, but the 1st time in a while they saw 20%+ share on prime time. And Who Knew? (Ver P'ra Crer) has been doing okay results against the expectations as well. (Apart from that, TVI has been floptastic, as usual.)

Terra Brava has Catarina Gouveia and Luciana Abreu playing strippers. Daniel Oliveira knows EXACTLY what he is doing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

Terra Brava has Catarina Gouveia and Luciana Abreu playing strippers. Daniel Oliveira knows EXACTLY what he is doing.

And Mariana Monteiro riding a horse in sweatpants.

It also helps that it's basically Deixa Que Te Leve and Espírito Indomável mixed into one. Yeah, he does know what he's doing.

Foot update:  I worked 12 hours on Saturday and my foot held up.  I stood for 7 out of 8 hours yesterday and I was in so much pain I considered a pain pill.  Did not take one though.  Foot is still swollen today.  Doctor told me standing wasn’t good for me yet.  She was right.  I was wearing compression socks and it still swelled after so much standing.  Ankle hurts as much as foot now.  After all it was 15 weeks of no walking.  Been doing my pt.  Will ask about the ankle pain when I go to pt on Thursday.  

It is nice to say that walking is fun, but now my goal is to be able to wear a shoe.  Swelling prevents that so far.  

• Like 2