Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

11 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

mad men had a great finale (if a little too neat for some characters) that i feel like doesn't get talked about enough as a great finale because it's not a "plot" show like all the other ones being talked about on this page.

Outside of Stan and Peggy's abrupt rush to the finish line (it was overdue, but it could have been handled better), it's pretty great. The phone calls :whosad:

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

No show since 2000 gets even close to the success or consistency of GoT. Dexter is more similar to a Breaking Bad or Mad Men, shows that ran too long and had to come up with nonsensical new twists every season for their ever more absurd antihero protagonist.

This may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read.

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

No show since 2000 gets even close to the success or consistency of GoT. Dexter is more similar to a Breaking Bad or Mad Men, shows that ran too long and had to come up with nonsensical new twists every season for their ever more absurd antihero protagonist.

Please do not lump the embarrassing lows of Dexter in with those other two shows, thank you and goodbye.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Please do not lump the embarrassing lows of Dexter in with those other two shows, thank you and goodbye.

Dexter

Spoiler

as lumberjack

made more sense and was more satisfying than Walter White

Spoiler

mowing down Nazis with his robot car.

36 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Dexter

Reveal hidden contents

made more sense and was more satisfying than Walter White

Reveal hidden contents

45 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

This may be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read.

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Speaking of finales, the Battlestar Galactica reboot series finale is certainly something @Plain Old Tele

I thought the finale of Battlestar Galactica was seen as very dumb and lacking any sense. 

About...

Breaking Bad was a pretty solid show but the last season of Breaking Bad is what the show iconic I think. 

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Success I imagine... but consistency ?

The Wire, Deadwood, Rome, Sopranos, 30 Rock, etc.... didn't go down like GoT.

It is true that Dexter stopped to make sense around season 3 or so (never at work, never at home when you have a wife at home and a sister at work got surrealist quick, the concept was for a mini series or 2-3 season max, not a long running affair), but you can still be good with absurd protagonist.

Edited by Barnack

11 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Oh so this is what the tv version of “Marvel fans argue that Captain Marvel is better than Goodfellas” looks like.

Imagine comparing a Sopranos wannabe to Goodfellas.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

GoT ended as the most successful and acclaimed show of the decade, gained viewers every year and the last season won 12 Emmys including Best Drama; that is an incredible level of consistency for a serialized drama after 8 seasons - we will probably never see its like again.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I thought the finale of Battlestar Galactica was seen as very dumb and lacking any sense. 

That's a very broad oversimplification. The reaction to it was complicated and mixed. There's some really great things in it, and some really headscratching things in it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is true that Dexter stopped to make sense around season 3 or so (never at work, never at home when you have a wife at home and a sister at work got surrealist quick, the concept was for a mini series or 2-3 season max, not a long running affair), but you can still be good with absurd protagonist.

Rome is a weird case in that it was only 2 seasons but the two seasons covered an insane amount of ground. The first season covers 7-8 years over 12 episodes, and then the second season covered 13+ years in only 10 episodes. So it covered all the ground it needed to hit but it really raced ahead to the finish.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

That's a very broad oversimplification. The reaction to it was complicated and mixed. There's some really great things in it, and some really headscratching things in it

Well yeah it was a great drama but the storyline choices at the end were just really off putting. 

22 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Rome is a weird case in that it was only 2 seasons but the two seasons covered an insane amount of ground. The first season covers 7-8 years over 12 episodes, and then the second season covered 13+ years in only 10 episodes. So it covered all the ground it needed to hit but it really raced ahead to the finish.

My issue is they made Octavian seem like some horrible guy while he was the person who really made Rome into one of the most powerful and influential empires in history. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

i was never fully on board with game of thrones anyway. i mean i enjoyed it in like a "it's fun. it's pretty good" 7/10 sort of way but i always found "it's the best show!!" hard to buy. so i was able to enjoy how goofy the last season was but that kind of totally botched ending has never really happened with a show i was totally invested in. must suck.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i was never fully on board with game of thrones anyway. i mean i enjoyed it in like a "it's fun. it's pretty good" 7/10 sort of way but i always found "it's the best show!!" hard to buy. so i was able to enjoy how goofy the last season was but that kind of totally botched ending has never really happened with a show i was totally invested in. must suck.

The novelty of seeing big, summer block-buster level set-pieces on TV was pretty neat at least

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

The final season of GOT destroyed the franchise, you can’t even rewatch knowing how underwhelming it ends. It’s gonna be quite a while until that stigma leaves .

Game of thrones was mostly about the wonder of the world and leading to some epic great events in the end. 

That is what kept people intrigued.