Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

If  Tele is reading this, he should check out the internet discussions about The Rings Of Power. It's 2001 all over again, with the Purist Book Fans and the Fans of the Movies going at each other full blast. And neither side really covering itself with glory.

Has anyone here preorderd a game through Amazon without that Release Date Ready thing and had it arrive on release day?

It wasn't an option when I preordered this game in May and now they're still saying "Hey, you might not get it until next week." when it comes out on the 9th.

Going to GameStop never crossed my mind, I admit.

Anyone know what's the best version of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers? Was thinking of getting it on blu-ray but it only has the cinemascope version but I see there are two different aspect ratios and I don't know if it's worth buying the blu-ray if the widescreen version is better. There is a two disc blu-ray with both versions but it costs $40 and I'm not spending that much on a blu-ray lol. @Jake Gittes @Cap @Plain Old Tele 

It's interesting to see the Lord of the Rings show being picked on by the anti-woke people when House of the Dragon is the one with a much more explicit political message and it's facing no backlash. I guess there are more nuance to the complaints (it's more about being faithful to the source material than pure hate for diversity) but still, I would never guess Rings of Power would be the one generating that kind of controversy if I was just watching them without any knowledge.

Edited by Napoleon

4 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Anyone know what's the best version of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers? Was thinking of getting it on blu-ray but it only has the cinemascope version but I see there are two different aspect ratios and I don't know if it's worth buying the blu-ray if the widescreen version is better. There is a two disc blu-ray with both versions but it costs $40 and I'm not spending that much on a blu-ray lol. @Jake Gittes @Cap @Plain Old Tele 

i would say neither cause I hate that musical 😂😂😂😂

But to answer your question, The film was actually shot in both wide screen and Cinemascope

https://ascmag.com/articles/simultaneous-production-shooting-in-cinemascope-and-widescreen

So I would say it’s what you prefer, but I would Probably take the Cinemascope because the ratio is slightly bigger. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

It's interesting to see the Lord of the Rings show being picked on by the anti-woke people when House of the Dragon is the one with a much more explicit political message and it's facing no backlash. I guess there are more nuance to the complaints (it's more about being faithful to the source material than pure hate for diversity) but still, I would never guess Rings of Power would be the one generating that kind of controversy if I was just watching them without any knowledge.

House of Dragons likely benefited from the fact that season 8 was so bad and trash...

audiences were suprised that is actually quite comparable in quality to the original GOT show.

Rings of Power I think will depend on how the show progresses...if it can get more of a general audience crowd like Game of Thrones, it will be fine, or else the fanbase will put a negative cloud over it. 

• Like 1

I think House of the Dragon is going to easily win the "war" between the two shows in what ultimately won't be much of a contest. Yes, the final season of Game of Thrones faced immense backlash for its creative choices but so far the show is doing a solid job of establishing it's going to be its own thing despite the connection. The shadow of the Peter Jackson trilogy from the early 2000s is probably far too much for the Rings series to overcome + it's probably easy to predict that awards groups will never fully embrace it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I think House of the Dragon is going to easily win the "war" between the two shows in what ultimately won't be much of a contest. Yes, the final season of Game of Thrones faced immense backlash for its creative choices but so far the show is doing a solid job of establishing it's going to be its own thing despite the connection. The shadow of the Peter Jackson trilogy from the early 2000s is probably far too much for the Rings series to overcome + it's probably easy to predict that awards groups will never fully embrace it.

People hated on season 8 not the whole concept of the show, the lore and such  is a key difference.