Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

So apparently the brand new Lions head coach Matt Patricia, in 1996, was indicted for sexual assault. It never went to trial and the case was dismissed because the victim didn't want to testify. 

I'm guessing a lot of people are going to want to burn him in effigy now but like there was an investigation at the time rather than her coming forward now. They clearly didn't have anything beyond her testimony. 

It's tough. 

The NBC investigation into workplace harassment also found the same thing. No supervisors got reports from employees because they were too afraid to go public. So while there was a lot of wrongdoing, the victims didn't feel safe enough to step forward at the time. Its an entire culture which needs to change.

• Community Manager
10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The NBC investigation into workplace harassment also found the same thing. No supervisors got reports from employees because they were too afraid to go public. So while there was a lot of wrongdoing, the victims didn't feel safe enough to step forward at the time. Its an entire culture which needs to change.

This is different than that too though. If he got indicted, that means there was a police investigation. I assume this means they looked for actual physical evidence. They clearly didn't find enough to convict without the testimony otherwise they would have gone to trial or they would have settled. 

So the charges were dropped. If they are dropped, does that mean society should still act like he's guilty and he should lose his job and career over this? 

I'm totally for changing the culture to make it easier for victims to come forward and to work to make it so that people are safe from sexual predators. But does this mean that if someone essentially got cleared years ago we decide that they are still guilty?

5 hours ago, Jandrew said:

[facepalm emoji] there's a reason why he's dancing that way...

Image result for jim crow

If you search "jim crow" on google, that's literally the 2nd picture that shows up. I'm not going to sit and tell you to "get woke" or whatever, but is that really what you took out of all of that? He dances funny? Welp.

I will admit I did not know he was dancing like Jim crow as I thought that was just what the law was name after but I thought the dancing was like an old minstrel show.

Lol I am saying at a surface level it seems strange but if you break the video down there is a lot more to it.

That is what the singer wanted to do rather then have people like you be a dick about it. You know I do need need to be awoken about these issues...your fellow countrymen do 

Edited by Lordmandeep

6 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

This is different than that too though. If he got indicted, that means there was a police investigation. I assume this means they looked for actual physical evidence. They clearly didn't find enough to convict without the testimony otherwise they would have gone to trial or they would have settled. 

So the charges were dropped. If they are dropped, does that mean society should still act like he's guilty and he should lose his job and career over this? 

I'm totally for changing the culture to make it easier for victims to come forward and to work to make it so that people are safe from sexual predators. But does this mean that if someone essentially got cleared years ago we decide that they are still guilty?

If Woody Allen's case is anything to go by, apparently yes

13 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Hot take: if you watch the singer only in this is America the music video comes off very odd and strange

However if you look at the background imagery it's rather epic.

4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I will admit I did not know he was dancing like Jim crow as I thought that was just what the law was name after but I thought the dancing was like an old minstrel show.

Lol I am saying at a surface level it seems strange but if you break the video down there is a lot more to it.

That is what the singer wanted to do rather then have people like you be a dick about it. You know I do need need to be awoken about these issues...your fellow countrymen do 

You're killing me dude. 

His name is Childish Gambino. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

You're killing me dude. 

His name is Childish Gambino. 

and he is a singer... 

Is there a rule we always refer to everything by name now? 

Are you going to point out when a person does not call directors by name on this site now? :wintf:

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

and he is a singer... 

Is there a rule we refer to everything by name now? 

I think you just proved Glover’s point. 

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i used to watch his derrick comedy skits on youtube in '06 which got me thinking... is childish gambino technically the first YouTuber to find mainstream success like this?

Depends whether you narrow it to comedy. Plenty of musicians like Bieber were YouTubers.

Edited by WrathOfHan

5 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I think you just proved Glover’s point. 

So if I say the director for Black Panther, I am a closeted racist? 

You guy are really reaching here. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

So if I say the director for Black Panther, I am a closeted racist? 

You guy are really reaching here. 

You'd say "the director for Black Panther" but not "the director for The Last Jedi" :Venom: 

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

and he is a singer... 

Is there a rule we always refer to everything by name now? 

Are you going to point out when a person does not call directors by name on this site now? :wintf:

Don't most people call directors by name on this site though?