Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

19 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

These so-called studies is just something the government creates to keep us anxious, which is good for them. Don't eat this, don't eat that, use condoms, don't get too much sun exposure, etc. Then what about our ancestors who lived long lives without following these new rules? The government, the media and the big corporations are constantly manipulating us.

lol

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Funny joke but just to make it clear, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But rich people need other people to be unhappy and poor, and they will lie to the general population in order to keep making money on their backs. 

i actually AGREE with what you're saying here. but coming after cancer research ain't it chief. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

i wonder if anyone's ever tallied up how many times you've declared that you know more than the world's leading experts on a given subject, and that they are actually dumb, but you are very smart (of course with no elaboration because a smart boy doesn't need to do that). i think it would be... a lot of times.

Energy is the subject matter I studied the most in recent years, I have a mentor on Youtube who is one of the most knowledgable person on the matter, he is in contact with all the world leading experts on the subject, the Giec for example.

His name is Jean Marc Jancovici, engineer  from one of the most prestigioius fench engineer school.

During his conferences, he spends his time making this argument : people know nothing about energy, journalists, politicians, CEOs, nada, they are almost clueless, I am (was) too.

They (we) don't understand what is energy, its nature, its consumption, and he spends his time during his conferences explaining it in detail  all that it entails, which is basically EVERYTHING, we run on energy too.

He spends his time making fun of "renewable" alternatives.

I can't have that conversation in english let s be serious, way too technical.

I am having difficulties to grasp all that it entails.

But if you have to remember one thing on the energy matter, it is this :

there won't be a plan B for our current way of life, you cannot change the laws of physics, even Musk can't.

Oil, coal, gaz cannot be replaced in any shape or form.

Not gonna happen, sorry.

Physics, I know, what a bitch.

We will have to learn to live with way, way less in the future and I am not sure humanity is ready to confront this reality.

Laws of physics will change (well they always heve) our way of life, not politics, or ideologies.

Either we end up in WW III fighting for the final reserves of oil, gaz and Coal or we re-think our entire way of life, from the ground up.

There will be no middle ground I am afraid.

Which means, no more (or way less) CGI blockbuters for me.

Enjoy the freaking party while it last because we have been on a high for the last 150 years and the next 50 years won't be as pleasant.

I am not a cynic, I am a realist, only physics matter, the rest is blabber and nonsense.

The other important matter in the energy debate is also this :

stop thinking energy consumption by country, our economies are way too interconnected now.

Consequences  of what I have just said :

You want to save the planet ?

Let me give you a little tip for you or your friends and families that are "planet and green conscious" or whatever :

Throw away all of your computers, tablets, smartphones, consoles etc and everything made in China and never buy another one again.

Simple, right ?

China didn't build one coal central per week at one time for them, it was first and foremost for the west and now the world so we  could gleefully consume more and more and more ... like never before in humanity s history.

Last important idea on energy matters : numbers, ordre de grandeur (don't know how to translate), scope of consumption.

Bottome line : people have no clue how ginormous our energy consumption is today, they(we) simply  don't realize or think about it because we were all born in the land of plenty and abondance.

just one ex among millions You take a pizza in the fridge, the implications of this "simple" act are crazy energy wise.

The guy I was talking about earlier crushed the numbers : we, westerners use the energy equivalent of 600 slaves ( their arms and legs muscles) that would work for 24 hours without stops.

600 slaves for 24H for ONE person, that s the equivalent of energy we use EVERY day.

This gives you an idea about how concentrated oil, gaz and coal are as energy sources.

Bottom line : the poorest of the poor french TODAY has better living conditions than an aristocrat of the 18th century.

69f59b88-7980-47d1-b4af-a130809a85ae.png

Malthus (and Thanos), thought humanity was not gonna be able to feed itself with the data he had during  his times on agriculture.

He was right.

Fun fact : Malthus died a few years before the discovery of the first oil well.

Where ? In America.

150 years on, we can feed 6B+ people and have hundreds of millions of obese people.

How do you think America became the most powerful empire of the 20th century ?

topics_signalhill_600.jpg

Lucky-Jim-Oil-Co-stock-derricks-AOGHS.jp

97f15ecd6f4c771fc26df29641365167.jpg

Edited by The Futurist
  • Knock It Off 1

32 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

These so-called studies is just something the government creates to keep us anxious, which is good for them. Don't eat this, don't eat that, use condoms, don't get too much sun exposure, etc. Then what about our ancestors who lived long lives without following these new rules? The government, the media and the big corporations are constantly manipulating us.

i don't like them putting chemicals in the water that turn the freaking frogs gay

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Energy is the subject matter I studied the most in recent years, I have a mentor on Youtube who is one of the most knowledgable person on the matter, he is in contact with all the world leading experts on the subject, the Giec for example.

His name is Jean Marc Jancovici, engineer  from one of the most prestigioius fench engineer school.

During his conferences, he spends his time making this argument : people know nothing about energy, journalists, politicians, CEOs, nada, they are almost clueless, I am (was) too.

They (we) don't understand what is energy, its nature, its consumption, and he spends his time during his conferences explaining it in detail  all that it entails, which is basically EVERYTHING, we run on energy too.

He spends his time making fun of "renewable" alternatives.

I can't have that conversation in english let s be serious, way too technical.

I am having difficulties to grasp all that it entails.

But if you have to remember one thing on the energy matter, it is this :

there won't be a plan B for our current way of life, you cannot change the laws of physics, even Musk can't.

Oil, coal, gaz cannot be replaced in any shape or form.

Not gonna happen, sorry.

Physics, I know, what a bitch.

We will have to learn to live with way, way less in the future and I am not sure humanity is ready to confront this reality.

Laws of physics will change (well they always heve) our way of life, not politics, or ideologies.

Either we end up in WW III fighting for the final reserves of oil, gaz and Coal or we re-think our entire way of life, from the ground up.

There will be no middle ground I am afraid.

Which means, no more (or way less) CGI blockbuters for me.

Enjoy the freaking party while it last because we have been on a high for the last 150 years and the next 50 years won't be as pleasant.

I am not a cynic, I am a realist, only physics matter, the rest is blabber and nonsense.

The other important matter in the energy debate is also this :

stop thinking energy consumption by country, our economies are way too interconnected now.

Consequences  of what I have just said :

You want to save the planet ?

Let me give you a little tip for you or your friends and families that are "planet and green conscious" or whatever :

Throw away all of your computers, tablets, smartphones, consoles etc and everything made in China and never buy another one again.

Simple, right ?

China didn't build one coal central per week at one time for them, it was first and foremost for the west and now the world so we  could gleefully consume more and more and more ... like never before in humanity s history.

Last important idea on energy matters : numbers, ordre de grandeur (don't know how to translate), scope of consumption.

Bottome line : people have no clue how ginormous our energy consumption is today, they(we) simply  don't realize or think about it because we were all born in the land of plenty and abondance.

just one ex among millions You take a pizza in the fridge, the implications of this "simple" act are crazy energy wise.

The guy I was talking about earlier crushed the numbers : we, westerners use the energy equivalent of 600 slaves ( their arms and legs muscles) that would work for 24 hours without stops.

600 slaves for 24H for ONE person, that s the equivalent of energy we use EVERY day.

This gives you an idea about how concentrated oil, gaz and coal are as energy sources.

Bottom line : the poorest of the poor french TODAY has better living conditions than an aristocrat of the 18th century.

69f59b88-7980-47d1-b4af-a130809a85ae.png

Malthus (and Thanos), thought humanity was not gonna be able to feed itself with the data he had during  his times on agriculture.

He was right.

Fun fact : Malthus died a few years before the discovery of the first oil well.

Where ? In America.

150 years on, we can feed 6B+ people and have hundreds of millions of obese people.

How do you think America became the most powerful empire of the 20th century ?

topics_signalhill_600.jpg

Lucky-Jim-Oil-Co-stock-derricks-AOGHS.jp

97f15ecd6f4c771fc26df29641365167.jpg

ijack's got competition in the field of "most superfluous essays" it seems.

7 minutes ago, Goffe said:

actually it doesn’t 

it does??

Salmon provides more lean protein than both, but salmon's also a lot more expensive/harder to cook, so I don't really put that into my meal planning lmao

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

ijack's got competition in the field of "most superfluous essays" it seems.

At least he admitted he's just watched some youtube videos on the subject. Sorry I mean "found a YouTube mentor". Can definitely see how the sense of intellectual superiority is justified now.

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

it does??

Salmon provides more lean protein than both, but salmon's also a lot more expensive/harder to cook, so I don't really put that into my meal planning lmao

100g of beef has more protein than 100g of chicken, it also has more fat but han said nothing about that. chicken is the leaner meat true (the breast part that is)

Edited by Goffe

Just now, Goffe said:

100g of beef has more protein than 100g of chicken, it also has more fat but han said nothing about that. chicken is the leaner meat true.

Sorry, I thought we meant in terms of lean protein. I've been trying to eat as lean as possible recently since I'm trying to be on clean a bulk as I can for the winter, so I've been seeing "protein" exclusively as "lean protein".

Just now, Ozymandias said:

eat fish, preferably salmon

way healthier than chicken or beef

gots them omega 3s

Salmon's the best for sure, but idk, it's always been super hard for me to cook compared to just boiling chicken & broccoli in my dorm. I take Omega 3 fish oil everyday though, so I can get them in my diet without too much hassle. 

• Like 1

I missed quite a bit in a few hours.

Regarding meat eating, and GHG emissions, it's true that beef is the worst but it's actually more to do with the grain generally required to produce beef (~7 kg grain/1 kg beef) compared to other meats. The reason is because cattle are generally eaten at a later age, which means more of the grain has been wasted as body heat rather than used to build biomass.

Also, the land use factor is a one-time pay in of carbon dioxide from deforestation, over the long term the problem is the large amounts of energy being used for agriculture. And of course right now, most of that energy is coming from fossil fuels.

Don't let anyone tell you fossil fuels can't be replaced, or that our best bet is carbon capture etc. Nuclear power only has a slightly higher lifetime cost than coal. Replacing internal combustion in vehicles is indeed trickier, but once we've made electricity generation carbon-free that will buy us some time to find solutions for vehicles, which on a global scale is more likely to involve carbon-neutral biofuels than electric vehicles (because of scarcity of lithium).

The key point is, as @PANDA has mentioned/implied, the best part of a (necessarily global) carbon tax is indeed that it will hit all activities precisely in proportion to how much carbon dioxide they generate, after which industries and individuals can find solutions for avoiding said tax.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Salmon's the best for sure, but idk, it's always been super hard for me to cook compared to just boiling chicken & broccoli in my dorm. I take Omega 3 fish oil everyday though, so I can get them in my diet without too much hassle. 

Salmon is like the cleanest, leanest source of protein out there meat wise.  Its also fairly alkaline for a meat so even some vegans and people that try to stay away from acidic foods on an alkaline diet eat it a lot.

And theres a lot of shitty fish oil scams out there that probably do more harm than good.  Make sure you're taking a good brand like Nordic Naturals which is what I take.  Its expensive, but I can definitely tell when I stop taking that stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

I mean, our ancestors had like half our lifespans. :lol: 

Um it is a myth that people just died at 30.

Avg lifespans were low due to high infant mortality rates that were reduced by scientific breakthroughs.

So you are right and likely know this but i think people get this idea people just all died at 30 2000 years ago.

Edited by Lordmandeep