Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

You ve never noticed ?

Who are the people we call philantropists and humanitarians ?

The average Walmart employee ?

The chinese worker who assembled the computers and smartphones that alllow us to have our little convos on BOT ?

I wonder ...

“Generosity” goes far beyond all that, though. You’re using terms that have specific, charitable definitions (often financial) and then broadening that definition to include generosity — which seems a very, very narrow view to me. 

• Like 2

I've read the last few pages...and, ummm, this has been an interesting couple of days on this thread...

I could make pages and pages of posts...but that seems counter-productive to the chain...

Maybe my most useful contribution relates to scope...so many of you have these wide-ranging plans that require national, and even international approval, and large public by-in for sacrifice...but as any good football coach will tell you, "you do your job".  You don't do someone else's, you don't skip yours and try to do the work of 3 other players, you don't try to be a hero every play.  You do what you know you are supposed to.

For so many of these issues, you know what you should do and what's right...so before getting others to join in, do yours 1st.  No one will flock to you or your idea when they see you don't live it anyway.  Instead, it becomes a "do as I say, not what I do" situation.  And you immediately turn off the audience to which you are speaking...every single time.

Think of it like when conservative Christians who cheat on their wife forever after get blown off when they claim to speak for family values...if you are gonna preach it, you have to live it 1st...b/c if you don't, why would anyone else want to do so?

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Maybe my most useful contribution relates to scope...so many of you have these wide-ranging plans that require national, and even international approval, and large public by-in for sacrifice...but as any good football coach will tell you, "you do your job".  You don't do someone else's, you don't skip yours and try to do the work of 3 other players, you don't try to be a hero every play.  You do what you know you are supposed to.

For so many of these issues, you know what you should do and what's right...so before getting others to join in, do yours 1st.  No one will flock to you or your idea when they see you don't live it anyway.  Instead, it becomes a "do as I say, not what I do" situation.  And you immediately turn off the audience to which you are speaking...every single time.

Think of it like when conservative Christians who cheat on their wife forever after get blown off when they claim to speak for family values...if you are gonna preach it, you have to live it 1st...b/c if you don't, why would anyone else want to do so?

For what it's worth, I sincerely believe I'm doing nearly as much as I can on a personal basis. I don't eat red meat anymore except when it's being served to me at a social gathering. I still eat eggs and poultry, and drink a bit of milk, but maintaining body weight has always been hard for me, so I'm pretty anxious about giving up on easily digestible protein (also a problem for me, but the details would be TMI).

I take public transit everywhere, or walk. Admittedly, I'd rather not have a car right now for financial reasons as well, but when I do get a car it will be the most fuel efficient one I can afford. That probably means a tiny subcompact, because I definitely won't be able to buy electric.

I generally try to minimize my electricity usage, probably more for financial reasons if truth be told. Ontario gets most of its electricity from nuclear and hydroelectric already, so this isn't a very impactful thing for me to do most of the time.

But none of this enough. Not even close to it, and everyone following my example on a personal basis still wouldn't be, because the decisions on what energy sources to use for electricity, and industry, aren't made by individuals.

I don't think I should have to share all this every time I talk about climate change, because I'm not asking for sacrifice. I want innovation. I want a revenue-neutral carbon tax (and a global system of tariffs on countries that refuse to oblige) because I believe that will encourage industry to innovate, and industry and governments alike to seek carbon-free (or nearly so) sources of energy. I want the revenue from that carbon-tax to be used as tax relief for the individuals, so that the impact on working class people is minimal, and even of net benefit for those who can reduce their fuel consumption. I don't think such a revenue-neutral carbon tax, properly implemented and raised gradually, will demand sacrifice, except from the fossil fuel industry.

It doesn't have to be a carbon tax, but I don't know of a more efficient way of encouraging industry to find new energy sources other than fossil fuels. Nothing else will suffice. If everyone in the world did everything they could to conserve energy on a personal basis and reduce fuel use while still eating and going to work etc., it still wouldn't avert the catastrophic climate change that awaits humanity if we continue to burn fossil fuels.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, PANDA said:

Who remembers this old viral video that definitely inspired The Shape of Water?

the guy who directed this directed the paddington movies btw. he directed every episode of this show and this isn't even the weirdest shit they did.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the guy who directed this directed the paddington movies btw. he directed every episode of this show and this isn't even the weirdest shit they did.

ICE. FLOE. NOWHERE TO GO. LOST IN THE BLINDING WHITENESS OF THE TUNDRAAAA

Still got that song stuck in my head all these years on.

I have no problem with waiting in general.

But I do not like it if i do not know how long I have to wait (as in days...), especially if there is a reason its needed early.

Since last week I wait for more than 1 thing, not one has to do with X-Mas

incl medicaments for the dog that should have arrived last Friday at the vet - atypical for my region, but we had e.g. twice black ice since then, and...

No one has even an idea when.... yadda yadda

Buying as much of the groceries,... today instead of Friday?

Might be better as I guess Friday/Saturday the shops will be nuts for all the X-Mas grocery shoppers (here at Sunday, public holidays all shops are closed and at 24 Dec open only till 12°° o'clock, as far as they even open, based on Sunday closed and Tuesday and Wednesday being public holidays, a lot of companies and non-grocery stores do not open this year at Monday (1/2 holiday anyway) at all).

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Generosity can simply mean helping someone out in a tough spot with good advice really.

Its not always about money. 

People are generous for themselves, not for the person they are helping, they don't care for her/him.

it is just a social ego boost & transaction.

Generosity either allows you

-to look good among your group of reference family, friends, co-workers, that girl you want to pork.

- so you can expect something in return from those groups of reference.

Selfless generosity doesn't exist. 

Edited by The Futurist

46 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

People are generous for themselves, not for the person they are helping, they don't care for her/him.

it is just a social ego boost & transaction.

Generosity either allows you

-to look good among your group of reference family, friends, co-workers, that girl you want to pork.

- so you can expect something in return from those groups of reference.

Selfless generosity doesn't exist. 

Frankly I could care less if one gives money to build an entire hospital wing and wants it named after themselves.

Whether the person donates out of selfless or wants to create a positive image for themselves, the end result is the same. 

Andrew Carnegie and Rockefeller are likely the greatest robber Barrons of all time but their philanthropy still had a ton of positive effects on the USA as well. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

So nobody from the mod team of BOT can find a solution to my problem ?

I am banned for life in all Aquaman related threads because who knows.

Help ?

Anyone ?

Pretty pretty Please ?

:sadno:

Can't share my enthusiasm for our favourite bro'.

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So nobody from the mod team of BOT can find a solution to my problem ?

I am banned for life in all Aquaman related threads because who knows.

Help ?

Anyone ?

Pretty pretty Please ?

:sadno:

Can't share my enthusiasm for our favourite bro'.

Soon the weekend thread will be created and you'll be able to discuss the movie there