Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, 75Live said:

finished my Christmas shopping today, so celebrating with some Coca-cola and Barcardi.

Shame I never even got a tree yet for myself though :P 

It’s a good feeling.  I bought all but one gift online

• Like 1

Aaaaahhhh, the Eagles...there is never a lead they want to hold this year.  Thank you Rams punt returner for being unable to hold a ball, and thank you Rams receivers for being unable to go out of bounds when you had no time outs.

7-7...very streaky offense...but still in it:).  I guess as a Philly fan, I'll take it.  Not sure Houston will be pretty next week, but maybe the deep WR bombs can break Houston's defense and happen often enough to get us a win!

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Won't You Be My Neighbor just made me realize just how divided everything is right now. 

Take my roommates for example. Both are very VERY left-leaning, seemingly the most accepting people you think you could ever meet. And after the movie ended you know what they thought?

"Fred Rogers was just a hypocritical liar. You can't be a Christian without being a bigot, and clearly he was just manipulating the networks to get funding. Not to mention he was a Republican. But yes, it was a very sweet movie, and his messages were completely true."

Um, sorry, what? You acknowledge that you agree with everything he says. But just because he is Christian, suddenly he is an "other", an "evil" on the other side? Seems to me at this point it doesn't matter what people say, what people do, how much good people do for the world. But people are just going to label them as an "other" if they aren't completely 100% the exact same as then. And you know what? Yea, the movie showed that Rogers wasn't perfect, or that he was a man who had to live in an imperfect world (the bit about his co-star not being able to come out for fear of losing an audience was heartbreaking). 

You know, I myself always thought there were good people and bad people. And there are. But that there was a good "side" and a bad "side". But tonight, I heard that Rogers shoulda just preached on Fox News if he was always such a bigot from people who I thought were on the "good" side, and people who legitimately seemed hurt by the fact that Rogers was Christian. They weren't saying this like they were angry. No, they seemed deeply betrayed, which made the walk home all the more sad. 

I'm sorry about this rant, but it seems today that it's impossible for anyone to be tolerant whatsoever. There is just so much damn intolerance, and I hate saying it because ( I really dislike Trump) but on both sides! Now, one is much more prominent in their intolerance than the other I would still say, but tonight just showed me how intolerant people have really become. And it goes 100% against the movie they just saw.

WYBMN is one of my favourite movies of 2018 by the way. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6
  • ...wtf 1

33 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Won't You Be My Neighbor just made me realize just how divided everything is right now. 

Take my roommates for example. Both are very VERY left-leaning, seemingly the most accepting people you think you could ever meet. And after the movie ended you know what they thought?

"Fred Rogers was just a hypocritical liar. You can't be a Christian without being a bigot, and clearly he was just manipulating the networks to get funding. Not to mention he was a Republican. But yes, it was a very sweet movie, and his messages were completely true."

Um, sorry, what? You acknowledge that you agree with everything he says. But just because he is Christian, suddenly he is an "other", an "evil" on the other side? Seems to me at this point it doesn't matter what people say, what people do, how much good people do for the world. But people are just going to label them as an "other" if they aren't completely 100% the exact same as then. And you know what? Yea, the movie showed that Rogers wasn't perfect, or that he was a man who had to live in an imperfect world (the bit about his co-star not being able to come out for fear of losing an audience was heartbreaking). 

You know, I myself always thought there were good people and bad people. And there are. But that there was a good "side" and a bad "side". But tonight, I heard that Rogers shoulda just preached on Fox News if he was always such a bigot from people who I thought were on the "good" side, and people who legitimately seemed hurt by the fact that Rogers was Christian. They weren't saying this like they were angry. No, they seemed deeply betrayed, which made the walk home all the more sad. 

I'm sorry about this rant, but it seems today that it's impossible for anyone to be tolerant whatsoever. There is just so much damn intolerance, and I hate saying it because ( I really dislike Trump) but on both sides! Now, one is much more prominent in their intolerance than the other I would still say, but tonight just showed me how intolerant people have really become. And it goes 100% against the movie they just saw.

That really is disappointing. I’d be really upset if one my friends said that kind of shit.

Anyways, positive vibes, glad to hear you liked the film. :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

You should make them watch First Reformed.  Great movie, takes spirituality seriously and from a more left-wing perspective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Welcome to the Real World.

It s never as what was advertised.

• Sad 1

I’m annoyed that progressive politicians are willing to call themselves “Pro-Environment” but they’re not willing to endorse a revenue neutral carbon tax.

It’s the most efficient way to reduce emissions, and provides no cost to consumers.  It also should be easier to pass in progressive states if it was advertised as a bill that “Reduces the cost of public college tuition”, “Expands Medicare to more income groups” or “Reduces income taxes”, and is then funded by the Carbon Tax.

You can invest in Solar and clean energy, and that’s good.  But it isn’t going to get people off of carbon fast enough, given the effects of climate change are already starting to happen. 

I also dont think we can hold out hope for a single super genius to invent a carbon emission reversal process.  However, investing more money in climate scientists and environmental engineers couldn’t hurt.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

"clean" energy, that's a good one.

Cleaner and renewable being better word than clean true.

2 hours ago, PANDA said:

You can invest in Solar and clean energy, and that’s good.

It need to be intelligently done, it is not necessarily good not if you end up turning back/keeping a massive amount of coal to keep the cost of electricity low because of the wind/solar energy investment you made like Germany did. I am speculating, but would coal need to still be Germany number one source of Energy if they didn't spent has much in solar/wind (say in Nuclear/natural gaz instead, natural gaz being typicaly 50-60% less polluting than goal)

2 hours ago, PANDA said:

I’m annoyed that progressive politicians are willing to call themselves “Pro-Environment” but they’re not willing to endorse a revenue neutral carbon tax.

It’s the most efficient way to reduce emissions, and provides no cost to consumers.

I agree with this a lot, and the current French model of non-neutral cost tax that hurt the poorest a lot give that solution a lot of bad press, the revenue neutral turn it into a fun money making game.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Cleaner and renewable being better word than clean true.

It need to be intelligently done, it is not necessarily good not if you end up turning back/keeping a massive amount of coal to keep the cost of electricity low because of the wind/solar energy investment you made like Germany did. I am speculating, but would coal need to still be Germany number one source of Energy if they didn't spent has much in solar/wind (say in Nuclear/natural gaz instead, natural gaz being typicaly 50-60% less polluting than goal)

I agree with this a lot, and the current French model of non-neutral cost tax that hurt the poorest a lot give that solution a lot of bad press, the revenue neutral turn it into a fun money making game.

Yeah, heavy investment in Solar/Wind isn’t going to reverse or mitigate any effects from Climate Change.  We certainly need to move off of fossil fuels and into greener energy sources, and all of those sources have pros/cons.

But that alone isn’t going to stop deforestation, carbon emmissions from cattle industries, universally getting people to transition their cars from gas based to something cleaner (such as electric or a potential Hydrogen run car).

There’s lots of room to be made.  But the most effective policy is going to be policy that de-incentivizes the use of unclean energy and incentivizing conserving energy, the environment, changing lifestyles and using alternatives.

• Like 1