Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Plus i would recommend reading studies on such topics directly from the people who conducted these studies (who are in the links of most articles) and not from media articles that usually spin a study to generate clickbait or push a bias and agenda.

Edited by Lordmandeep

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

At least he admitted he's just watched some youtube videos on the subject. Sorry I mean "found a YouTube mentor". Can definitely see how the sense of intellectual superiority is justified now.

Funny I knew you were gonna throw the Youtube card.

The guy writes books, speak and deal with all the biggest ceos and politicians and elites of Europe and the world, created a site called Shift Project (finding a way to create a low carbon society and way of life) is invited to do conferences all over France in all the most prestigious engineer, business and science schools.

He s vey close with the GIEC, google them, you hear about them every once a week.

But I understnad how it bothers people that guy doesn't talk about things as petty as politics, he talks about science and ... science.

He also love to talk about physics and how energy works.

And facts too.

His videos have a few thousands views and they are quite long and detailed, with dozens of graphs and hundreds of numbers.

I used the word "mentor" because after I heard what he had to say, it changed my world view and it should change yours too, sadly all of his videos are in french so ... but I don't think there is an equivalent as thorough and complete in english.

Sorry to be the bearer of very, very bad news, feel free to dismiss physics and science until physics and science deal with you, whether you like it or not.

"Renewable energy, green energy" are the biggest load of crap ever invented by our mass media.

It s a nice and cute little story tho, if you believe in Disney live action fairy tales remakes that is.

It s dificult to talk about energy with english speakers because fucking metrics bro.

So next time you eat a pizza, or post a message on BOT (energy consumption of Internet 2018 ? goofle it too, not using lots of renewables I am afraid),

will you be able to grasp the importance of that act or will you prefer to stay in the sweet, comforting, bliss of ignorance ?

Feel free to answer to this question by a snark, when the ships are down, it will be all that you (we) have.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Salmon is like the cleanest, leanest source of protein out there meat wise.  Its also fairly alkaline for a meat so even some vegans and people that try to stay away from acidic foods on an alkaline diet eat it a lot.

And theres a lot of shitty fish oil scams out there that probably do more harm than good.  Make sure you're taking a good brand like Nordic Naturals which is what I take.  Its expensive, but I can definitely tell when I stop taking that stuff.

I take new chapter omega 3, which is considered a great brand. I take that & multi-vitamins everyday, but they end up costing a lot once they're finished :L

8 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

His videos have a few thousands views and they are quite long and detailed, with dozens of graphs and hundreds of numbers.

Econplusdal does that, but watching his videos doesn't make me the next Adam Smith 

17 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Oil, coal, gaz cannot be replaced in any shape or form.

I don't care where you got your education. This statement is flat-out wrong.

For electricity generation, the lifetime cost of nuclear power is only slightly more expensive than coal and there are jurisdictions that have nearly entirely replaced electricity generation *from coal with nuclear. The main reason why so few have done so has much more to do with politics than it does economics or for that matter, physics.

Where combustion cannot be replaced by electric engines, biofuels can replace oil, coal, and gas. Admittedly not easily, but it's simply not true to say that it cannot be done.

Edited by Jason
the *from was missing, oops
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Goffe said:

100g of beef has more protein than 100g of chicken, it also has more fat but han said nothing about that. chicken is the leaner meat true (the breast part that is)

I mean, fat totally depends on your goals. I generally don’t pay attention to non-trans fats.

I'm just glad ill be dying of old age right around the time the earth is truly fucked by irreversible climate change and overpopulation.  If only we had Thanos to clean house!

That is unless the idiots in Washington and Europe start WW3 over some backwater like Ukraine, Syria, or "election meddling" shitposters.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

You want to save the planet ?

Let me give you a little tip for you or your friends and families that are "planet and green conscious" or whatever :

Throw away all of your computers, tablets, smartphones, consoles etc and everything made in China and never buy another one again.

Simple, right ?

How relevant is the word China in that sentence ? (Specially after saying stop thinking energy use by country, something I am not sure I ever heard anyone ever do when talking about global issue).

Is it that good of a tip to help the planet to throw away my already built computer I code with and quit my field of work ?

Reduce if not stop meat/milk products consumption, reduce if not stop long distant travel (like say taking the plane), seem like way better tips no ? And are quite simple (require for you to do nothing instead of doing something) and quite cheap (they make you even richer)

14 minutes ago, TMP said:

Are you cutting or bulking?

Currently cutting. I haven’t been exercising at the level I should be largely because I’m not a memebr of a gym. Once I get settled into school in a few weeks, I’ll start going to the on campus gym and begin another bulk. 

• Like 1

So, I switched to another channel and TLJ was on, just in time for the red throne/holdo’s hyperdrive sequence, the best scene in the star wars series probably.

But then the salt planet third act , which checks the explosiony climax box, mandatory in 200m movies, puts me to sleep.

Shame.

Edited by Goffe

10 minutes ago, Goffe said:

So, I switched to another channel and TLJ was on, just in time for the red throne/holdo’s hyperdrive sequence, the best scene in the star wars series probably.

But then the salt planet third act , which checks the explosiony climax box, mandatory in 200m movies, puts me to sleep.

Shame.

*prays LMD doesnt show up*

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I missed quite a bit in a few hours.

Regarding meat eating, and GHG emissions, it's true that beef is the worst but it's actually more to do with the grain generally required to produce beef (~7 kg grain/1 kg beef) compared to other meats. The reason is because cattle are generally eaten at a later age, which means more of the grain has been wasted as body heat rather than used to build biomass.

Also, the land use factor is a one-time pay in of carbon dioxide from deforestation, over the long term the problem is the large amounts of energy being used for agriculture. And of course right now, most of that energy is coming from fossil fuels.

Don't let anyone tell you fossil fuels can't be replaced, or that our best bet is carbon capture etc. Nuclear power only has a slightly higher lifetime cost than coal. Replacing internal combustion in vehicles is indeed trickier, but once we've made electricity generation carbon-free that will buy us some time to find solutions for vehicles, which on a global scale is more likely to involve carbon-neutral biofuels than electric vehicles (because of scarcity of lithium).

The key point is, as @PANDA has mentioned/implied, the best part of a (necessarily global) carbon tax is indeed that it will hit all activities precisely in proportion to how much carbon dioxide they generate, after which industries and individuals can find solutions for avoiding said tax.

Good post, I’m not an environmental expert by any means.  I know my economics and thus what would be efficient policy (such as a carbon tax being the most duh of them imo), so it’s good to hear everything put out in a little bit more detail than I can recite it.

Interesting to know the details on the agriculture industry.  I always figured the beef part was due to the amount of space a cow takes up rather than a chicken.

Im not an expert on energy types, but would you think developing hydrogen fuel could be a realistic, and clean, vehicle solution?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PANDA said:

Im not an expert on energy types, but would you think developing hydrogen fuel could be a realistic, and clean, vehicle solution?

The big advantage of hydrogen fuel is that it's easily made using electricity, unlike carbon-based fuels which (probably, in practice) have to be made by photosynthesis to be carbon-neutral. So as long as you have clean electricity generation, then your hydrogen fuel cell is emissions-free, and doesn't require devoting land (potentially enormous amounts of it) to producing biofuels.

The big disadvantage is that while we've figured out safe ways to transport and store hydrogen, none of them are particularly efficient on a volumetric basis - meaning that even if we had the infrastructure in place (which we don't) people would have to get used to refilling their vehicles much more frequently than they do now.

I think it's a possibility, especially since technological improvements are probably possible (I'm not an expert though, far from it).

In the long-term, I suspect the solution might be something along the lines of specially engineered algae that can be grown in large amounts in places that don't support agriculture (like deserts, which also have a lot of sunlight). But that might just be my bias from having a background in studying photosynthesis/biochemistry/genetics etc.

The other possibility is of course a chemical process that produces a carbon-based fuel using carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

I'm not sure what the solution is to internal combustion in vehicles, but again the key point is that a carbon tax that starts low and rises over time will allow the market to find the most efficient solution, whatever that ends up being.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

Shame.

Was gonna like for the Red Boys @aabattery

But then had to remove it for the 126xd795ib501.gif

• Like 3