Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

41 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I am seeing an advance screening of LEGO 2 tomorrow and Happy Death Day 2U on Monday, so I am looking forward to being a WOM spreader for (hopefully) good movies.

I got a YouTube ad for Lego 2 that was playing 10 seconds of the Catchy Song for 5 hours straight recently. WB is not fucking around here lol

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honey Boy is getting very good reviews at Sundance. Shia's comeback is coming!

The Michael Jackson documentary sounds like it's going to be super controversial, unsurprisingly.

The Farewell's getting great reviews too. Awkwafina's coming for the Oscah

Sundance has inspired me to consider it:

I remember how there was a Horror 2018 thread, for, well, 2018 horror films; I think making a thread that's all about the documentaries of 2019 sounds like it'd be an interesting venture. Of course, I'd be taking a gamble to suggest that documentaries would be big enough to even warrant a thread of the sort, but, of course, I'd argue that documentaries absolutely were extremely big in 2018, and that there's definitely a lot of room for growth in the genre. I'm kind of posting my wish to make the thread in here because I feel very worn out at this time and I think it'd do me well to get some rest. But if this sounds like a good idea, please let me know.

I'm not even the kind of person who cries foul for no reason at anything movies-related. But I don't care if anyone disagrees: the director of the Oscar nominated James Bulger short is a fucking piece of scumbag shit.

Not only for making that film and purposefully not asking for the Bulger family's permission (I don't care if he did it for artistic reasons or not, this is just not something you do and then submit for awards consideration without telling the people who were the most hurt by this tragedy), but also for saying that withdrawing from Oscar race would be defeating the purpose of making the film, which basically says that he made the film for Oscar attention, aka he only made the film to boost himself professionally. And honestly, partly just for the mere concept of this film itself and the fact that the reason why he dodged the Bulgers is because he wanted to make the movie the way he did, and because he feels that he's correct in that this is too black and white of a case and there should be shades of grey.... yeah, sure, let's judge and try to re-educate people for having irrational hatred of a pair of boys who, independent of their age, had full conscious notion and probably felt and still feel zero remorse about the idea and execution of literally torturing to death a 2 year old child in cold, deliberate, ruthless blood. I get that it's his point of view and he's allowed to have it, but.... he was begging for the backlash, and that's to not say he was begging for attention.

Sorry, but I cannot sympathize with this subject at all. Go fuck yourself, mate. (Asterisk: I've not seen the film itself, and for what's worth, it might actually be very good. Reviews sure seem highly positive. And I'll give him this: it is important to denote that whether or not can children be truly evil is a concept that deserves studying. Doesn't change that everything around it, including the person who made it, sucks balls.)

• Like 1

The Michael Jackson Estate has unsurprisingly released a statement slamming the documentary. This is why the man will never get a proper biopic: his life was too thorny to touch. He remains a controversial subject even a decade after his death.

Although the documentary is unlikely to change minds. Jackson superfans are beyond protective, they're even going around threatening people giving positive reviews on Twitter right now. We're talking about a group of fans who unleashed freakin' doves every time a "not guilty" verdict was read outside the trial back in 2005.

Late Night with Emma Thompson and Mindy Kaling (written by Kaling) has been picked up by Amazon for $13M after premiering to very positive reviews at Sundance. Fully expecting it to get a summer release like The Big Sick two years ago.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sundance-emma-thompson-mindy-kalings-late-night-nabbed-by-amazon-13m-1177678

• Like 1

Only just saw that Michel Legrand died. RIP. Really didn't expect it cause he just worked on The Other Side of the Wind months ago. I've basically spent the last two years listening to the Young Girls of Rochefort soundtrack and honestly I'd be fine if I could only have that for the rest of my life. 

• Thanks 1