Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

I thought it had to do with the TV rights (they sold it for a ton to Turner) but perhaps they bought the rights back.

Now that puts the whole Fox situation interesting, since HBO has movie rights for new Fox movies up until 2022. Sound of Music and Avatar were shown, but how does something like Dark Phoenix fit into all this?

42 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Does that lower bar mean that the Asia-Pacific region doesn't get Disney+ at launch, or that it does?  If it's the latter, bad news for our Australian and New Zealand contingent.

As I've said before I'm not expecting Disney+ here in Australia in the short term.  Disney just signed a deal with Stan which I suspect is for a minimum of 2 years so December 2020 would probably be the earliest launch date for Disney+ in Australia.  Unless of course Disney buys Nine Entertainment (Stan's owner) or Stan itself.  

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/stan-inks-deal-with-disney-secures-key-animated-marvel-star-wars-titles-20181212-p50luz.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The only one they didn't have distribution rights to was A NEW HOPE. 

Wikipedia tells me this:

Prior to the Company's acquisition, Lucasfilm produced six Star Wars films (Episodes 1 through 6). Lucasfilm retained the rights to consumer products related to all of the films and the rights related to television and electronic distribution formats for all of the films, with the exception of the rights for Episode 4, which are owned by a third-party studio. All of the films are distributed by a third-party studio in the theatrical and home video markets. The theatrical and home video distribution rights for these films revert to Lucasfilm in May 2020 with the exception of Episode 4, for which these distribution rights are retained in perpetuity by the third-party studio.

3 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

As I've said before I'm not expecting Disney+ here in Australia in the short term.  Disney just signed a deal with Stan which I suspect is for a minimum of 2 years so December 2020 would probably be the earliest launch date for Disney+ in Australia.  Unless of course Disney buys Nine Entertainment (Stan's owner) or Stan itself.  

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/stan-inks-deal-with-disney-secures-key-animated-marvel-star-wars-titles-20181212-p50luz.html

I've never used Stan is it any good?

4 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Now that puts the whole Fox situation interesting, since HBO has movie rights for new Fox movies up until 2022. Sound of Music and Avatar were shown, but how does something like Dark Phoenix fit into all this?

I imagine Disney will let the HBO deal play out for all the movies that were already covered under it and then the rights will go to Disney+ starting after said deal expires.

Alan Tudyk To Reprise K-2SO Role In ‘Star Wars: Rogue One’ Disney+ Series With Diego Luna; ‘The Mandalorian’ Gets Launch Date

• Astonished 1

Jon Favreau just described THE LION KING as the first Disney film “people grew up watching in the minivan.” While my family never had a TV in our car, this was the first movie that I remember going to see in a theater.

Disney is really showing off the breadth of its content with what will be available at launch: 13 animated classics, 18 Pixar films, all Star Wars films, and many Marvel titles like BLACK PANTHER

7 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I thought it had to do with the TV rights (they sold it for a ton to Turner) but perhaps they bought the rights back.

There were rumors yes:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/08/star-wars-tv-rights-disney-turner-tbs-tnt

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-02/disney-is-said-to-seek-star-wars-rights-back-from-tbs-tnt

The world’s largest entertainment company tried to buy back TV rights to “Star Wars’’ movies from AT&T Inc.’s Turner Broadcasting so that it can offer them on a new streaming video service, according to two people familiar with the matter.

Disney made a preliminary inquiry about regaining the rights, but met resistance, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks were private.

https://www.techhive.com/article/3330499/disney-plus-streaming-service-shows-launch-pricing.html

As for movies, Disney has said to expect about 500 films from its back catalog, including Pixar and Marvel films, though the first six Star Wars films will be absent until at least 2024. (Turner bought the broadcast and streaming rights to those movies in 2016, and isn’t selling them back.)

I wonder how many people bought Star Wars on vhs, dvd, blu ray and now will pay for streaming it.

• Like 1

Just now, terrestrial said:

Alan Tudyk To Reprise K-2SO Role In ‘Star Wars: Rogue One’ Disney+ Series With Diego Luna; ‘The Mandalorian’ Gets Launch Date

Has Alan Tudyk sold his soul to Disney or what? His voice has been in all of their animated movies since the first Wreck-It Ralph in addition to Rogue One and Aladdin. He's gonna be anointed a Disney Legend within the next five years at this rate.

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I've never used Stan is it any good?

It’s the closest you’ll get to Disney+ right now. Most Pixar, MCU and the recent Star Wars are on there. 

They probably have free trials to check it out. 

• Thanks 1

Disney+ will be the exclusive SVOD home of THE SIMPSONS and no better way to announce it than with an animated clip of the whole family wearing mouse ears and featuring a sign that reads “Welcome Synergy”