Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

True Detective Season 3 was alright. A little too glacial in the early episodes for my liking (at least Season 2 offered moments of unintentional comedy throughout) and the finale was kinda underwhelming. Mahershala and Stephen Dorff are great in it though.

7 minutes ago, carolwoodpr said:

I tried True Detective and didn’t even watch a second episode.  Does this mean I should try it again?   Or should I just skip to season two?

Definitely skip to Season 2 and bask in the hate watch.

(To any non-Portuguese person, pre-apologies for the biblic-sized post that you won't understand worth a damn. Please skip ahead and tl;dr it :ph34r:)

@CJohn SIC layed another smackdown on TVI yesterday. The mornings and afternoons are absolutely unstoppable at this point, with Cristina, Bento Rodrigues and Júlia in particular all in massive highs (so, similar to TVI circa 2009/2010 :rofl:). Today's afternoon will play like a Sunday one - Somos Portugal vs. cinema, with the only change being The Farmer Wants A Wife at 7PM - so let's see what happens.

Speaking of The Farmer, it is confirmed that it will have a 2nd season immediately after the 1st one, with the farmers introduced before the end of the 1st one even. Not something that excites me content-wise, but an expected move. However, I feel like SIC is moving the dating show genre at a way too fast paced, especially since Married Season 2 is coming in September and we may also have a Carro do Amor Season 2. I'd be surprised if people aren't burned out from dating shows pretty quick. But as for this moment, they'll continue to hit big, for sure, and SIC will be safe throughout the Summer against TVI's non-competition (Your Face Sounds Familiar, LOL).

On TVI's side of things, they officially announced a new Endemol-produced, digital-only talent show to find new social media content creators :rofl:  I mean, it's digital-only (meaning it'll probably be a TVI Player-exclusive), so it's fine, I guess.... hell, RTP are doing really well for themselves with their digital-exclusive content. But what's the point of hiring Endemol for something as much of a non-factor as that? I guess they're gonna try to push through social media to market themselves since their ratings are so low at this point? Which I imagine isn't a totally bad idea, especially since they are stronger than SIC on social media (except Cristina, obviously), but it ain't gonna work anyway. Also, a reality show about content creators and influencers? Really? That's the best you can come up with at this point? Jesus.

But I'll give them this: if you haven't seen Maria Cerqueira Gomes' work solo on Você na TV, check it out, cause she's AWESOME and way better on her own than with Goucha (she deserves her own show, even)..... worth mentioning this, cause news broke that her contract is apparently longer than one year. And also, I've been checking out Instagram pics from the cast and related profiles to A Prisioneira, and apparently, they actually built a cenographic Middle Eastern city + desert. It looks HUGE in scale, but it's all set design from Plural. It's honestly stunning. And it probably means that there's an I-N-S-A-N-E budget behind this show.... if not A Única Mulher-high, it can't be far off. The costume design is badass as fuck too. That show has colossal potential, I'm telling you.

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

(To any non-Portuguese person, pre-apologies for the biblic-sized post that you won't understand worth a damn. Please skip ahead and tl;dr it :ph34r:)

@CJohn SIC layed another smackdown on TVI yesterday. The mornings and afternoons are absolutely unstoppable at this point, with Cristina, Bento Rodrigues and Júlia in particular all in massive highs (so, similar to TVI circa 2009/2010 :rofl:). Today's afternoon will play like a Sunday one - Somos Portugal vs. cinema, with the only change being The Farmer Wants A Wife at 7PM - so let's see what happens.

Speaking of The Farmer, it is confirmed that it will have a 2nd season immediately after the 1st one, with the farmers introduced before the end of the 1st one even. Not something that excites me content-wise, but an expected move. However, I feel like SIC is moving the dating show genre at a way too fast paced, especially since Married Season 2 is coming in September and we may also have a Carro do Amor Season 2. I'd be surprised if people aren't burned out from dating shows pretty quick. But as for this moment, they'll continue to hit big, for sure, and SIC will be safe throughout the Summer against TVI's non-competition (Your Face Sounds Familiar, LOL).

On TVI's side of things, they officially announced a new Endemol-produced, digital-only talent show to find new social media content creators :rofl:  I mean, it's digital-only (meaning it'll probably be a TVI Player-exclusive), so it's fine, I guess.... hell, RTP are doing really well for themselves with their digital-exclusive content. But what's the point of hiring Endemol for something as much of a non-factor as that? I guess they're gonna try to push through social media to market themselves since their ratings are so low at this point? Which I imagine isn't a totally bad idea, especially since they are stronger than SIC on social media (except Cristina, obviously), but it ain't gonna work anyway. Also, a reality show about content creators and influencers? Really? That's the best you can come up with at this point? Jesus.

But I'll give them this: if you haven't seen Maria Cerqueira Gomes' work solo on Você na TV, check it out, cause she's AWESOME and way better on her own than with Goucha (she deserves her own show, even)..... worth mentioning this, cause news broke that her contract is apparently longer than one year. And also, I've been checking out Instagram pics from the cast and related profiles to A Prisioneira, and apparently, they actually built a cenographic Middle Eastern city + desert. It looks HUGE in scale, but it's all set design from Plural. It's honestly stunning. And it probably means that there's an I-N-S-A-N-E budget behind this show.... if not A Única Mulher-high, it can't be far off. The costume design is badass as fuck too. That show has colossal potential, I'm telling you.

giphy.gif

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

TVI is gonna spend all the cash they have in A Prisioneira. If that doesn't work, they lose primetime, and that would be the final nail in the coffin, since Cristina and Júlia are in beast mode right now. Summer seems like it is gonna be a bore on Sundays, with burned out shows airing on both SIC and TVI. SIC should still win tho.

28 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

giphy.gif

That's a start!

22 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

i feel like the two should just get a thread :P 

Nah, the Classic Conversation thread is nothing without Portuguese TV talk: the treat y'all never knew you wanted until you saw it.

27 minutes ago, CJohn said:

TVI is gonna spend all the cash they have in A Prisioneira. If that doesn't work, they lose primetime, and that would be the final nail in the coffin, since Cristina and Júlia are in beast mode right now. Summer seems like it is gonna be a bore on Sundays, with burned out shows airing on both SIC and TVI. SIC should still win tho.

The Farmer isn't burned out yet, but by the end of Married At First Sight Season 2, everyone will be tired of these dating shows foh suh. And yeah, no way it doesn't beat Your Face Sounds Familiar. As for A Prisioneira, it might be the only thing saving TVI's ass until September at least :rofl:

14 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

The Farmer isn't burned out yet, but by the end of Married At First Sight Season 2, everyone will be tired of these dating shows foh suh. And yeah, no way it doesn't beat Your Face Sounds Familiar. As for A Prisioneira, it might be the only thing saving TVI's ass until September at least :rofl:

You really think people are gonna stay for a season 2 right after season 1? It feels like they will kill the format with this. They should have saved a 2nd season for January of 2020.

Got Chas’s preseason game down. Have blocked all forms of internet or social media but the tracking thread. Got phantom of the opera tickets because we thought that was the only safe place in NYC for the afternoon. Now just need to figure out if I should wear my cute avengers skirt or my causal Carol cosplay for tonight’s showing. 🤔 the real questions. 

7 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Got Chas’s preseason game down. Have blocked all forms of internet or social media but the tracking thread. Got phantom of the opera tickets because we thought that was the only safe place in NYC for the afternoon. Now just need to figure out if I should wear my cute avengers skirt or my causal Carol cosplay for tonight’s showing. 🤔 the real questions. 

It's called Avengers: Endgame, not Captain Marvel: Endgame 🤔

Spoiler

Go with God.