Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Whenever Disney cut back on the Touchstone label it was around the same time they renamed Pleasure Island to Disney Springs and closed all of the night clubs so it seems safe to assume they were just going through a complete image restructuring at the time (too bad it took about another decade for them to finally ban smoking from the parks). They also made that deal with DreamWorks for live-action movies as a replacement, but it ended up being a not very successful one, as four Best Picture nominees clearly weren't enough to make up for all the bombs they produced otherwise (they almost released Ghost in the Shell until the deal expired and it switched studios, and I imagine they were happy to have dodged that bullet). They also had no problem cutting their ties with Jerry Bruckheimer following a series of pricey flops as well.

The Fox deal has so far produced duds that were leftovers from the previous studio regime but Ford v Ferrari ended up being a big win for them so looking at their upcoming slate they'll likely continue producing movies with a focus on quality over quantity (few tears will be shed if the Underwaters and the Stubers of the world disappear). Although who knows if anything other than tentpoles will be produced by any studio in the post-COVID era for a while. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

(few tears will be shed if the Underwaters and the Stubers of the world disappear).

Woah woah woah there, Underwater was a great flick. Let's not say things we might regret. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Woah woah woah there, Underwater was a great flick. Let's not say things we might regret. 

I didn't see it. Although it's looking like it might go down as one of the 10 biggest movies of the year thanks to opening at the beginning of the year before the pandemic wiped everything out. Congrats to KStew for finally scoring a win (of sorts)!

Is JK Rowling like OK, at all? I have my own share of concerns about some gender issues pushed by trans activists but to push it thus far, to decide that this is the battle she will die for?

Starting a war with a deeply wounded community that her words can have severe damage on.

Seriously wtf.

Edited by FantasticBeasts

She liked a tweet that compared horomone therapy to antideppresants a day or two ago so not surprised she tweeted this garbage. Lol, does JK Rowling seriously think people can get HRT on the streets or something? Iirc, people who go throught HRT and surgery are supposed to have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria for at least several months, the process can take years, and you also get a ton of therapy throughout that time to make sure they you are ready. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

cry crying GIF

I feel terrible for his wife.  He spent 91 days in the hospital, and she's been struggling with this inevitably for like a month. And they just had a baby.

• Sad 9

I loved Morricone's work for so many great soundtracks. The haunting sound for The Thing, Sergio Leone's great films, so much he's done.

Had the pleasure of meeting him once for a short chat. Fascinating man and he will be dearly missed. 

Edited by BoxOfficeZ
  • Like 3
  • Sad 4

RIP Ennio Morricone

His music made him immortal. Imo, he ist not only among the greatest film componists of all time but also the greatest music artists in music history in general.

I will listen to many of his soundtracks today.

• Like 2

RIP maestro. Put this on to pay respects the next time you're getting some.

What a career. Given the sheer volume of his filmography, I'm looking forward to discovering more gems from him (and hearing familiar ones again) for... as long as I watch movies, really.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 5

Fucking hell, this happens on the same week I'm about watch a couple of films he has scored (The Dollars Trilogy, Once Upon a Time in America, Once Upon a Time in the West, Days of Heaven, and The Battle of Algiers). Although I haven't seen Once Upon a Time in America, Days of Heaven, and The Battle of Algiers, I've had their scores on repeat for years and are probably in my top 20 scores of all time. His score for The Thing is also top 3 for a horror film. He will be missed and I can't wait to listen to more of his work this week.

• Like 4

Devastating news to wake up to. :( Morricone was one of the first film composers I really remember paying attention to, when I first became aware of the concept of movie scores and soundtracks in general. RIP Mr. Morricone, your work will live on forever. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1