Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

They’ve put out 20 minutes of footage so far and I still don’t know what this is. Who are these people? What is that baby? Why are they doing what they’re doing?

And most importantly - how does one actually play this game? Is it a shooter? A RPG?

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

They’ve put out 20 minutes of footage so far and I still don’t know what this is. Who are these people? What is that baby? Why are they doing what they’re doing?

And most importantly - how does one actually play this game? Is it a shooter? A RPG?

It's Kojima seeing how long Sony will give him money to make increasingly bizarre trailers before they realize he isn't making a game

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm not really a fan of the dine-in theater experience because 1) it's way too pricey and 2) you always have waiters going all over the place taking orders and stuff as the movie is on. Not ideal if it's a movie you really want to see for the first time.

The Flix Brewhouse I visited in Des Moines is pretty awesome. Their waiters are real discreet coming in and out since anything you want while the movie is playing you have to write down on a slip of paper and give to them and the prices are shockingly reasonable. My brother who lives there now swears by the theater.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm not really a fan of the dine-in theater experience because 1) it's way too pricey and 2) you always have waiters going all over the place taking orders and stuff as the movie is on. Not ideal if it's a movie you really want to see for the first time.

You get used to the second one. If they do their jobs correctly, it's really not too distracting. Additionally, I don't know how other places handle it, but the pub cinema in my town cuts off in-auditorium service and brings the bill to your seat an hour before the film ends.

• Like 1

big little lies was my favourite tv not named twin peaks this year, better than any movie i've watched from 2017. but gee, a second season sounds like a bad idea to me. it worked so well as its own self contained thing.

*reads andrea arnold is directing the entire second season*

tenor.gif?itemid=4104398

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

big little lies was my favourite tv not named twin peaks this year, better than any movie i've watched from 2017. but gee, a second season sounds like a bad idea to me. it worked so well as its own self contained thing.

*reads andrea arnold is directing the entire second season*

tenor.gif?itemid=4104398

Spoiler

Most of the original cast, which included Shailene Woodley, Alexander Skarsgard and Laura Dern, are expected to return, and negotiations are underway.

jtCA2hZ.gif

Edited by WrathOfHan

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/99614711/kiwi-lads-take-on-world-puzzle-champs-in-india-lose-pretty-much-everything

It's official, New Zealand is the worst in the world at puzzles, well, one Kiwi in particular that is.

Finbarr Nobel, 26, from Wellington, garnered the title of the world's worst-ranked Sudoku player, while recently competing in the week-long World Puzzle Championships in India.

He was over there with a rag-tag team of Kiwi lads - Aotearoa Puzzles Inc - who mainly entered the prestigious event because they realised New Zealand didn't have a contingent. 

So in true Kiwi fashion they gave it a try, but perhaps shouldn't have, taking an "absolute beating" on the score board. To be fair, their preparation may have been a bit on the light side.

"Most of us brought a stock standard Sudoku puzzle book on the plane as our sole form of preparation," team member George Meale said.

And from that inauspicious start it went a little downhill. 

They missed the introductory meeting after parking up in a local pub, had to borrow pencils from the Australian team on the first day, and were given "unfathomably hard" Sudoku puzzles.

The Kiwi team featured Nobel, Matt Russell, 26, Simon O'Donnell, 25, Sam Shillson, 25, and Jordan Hamel, 25, from Wellington, and George Meale, 25, and Henry Taylor, 25, from Auckland 

"There was one thing the other teams had in common," said Meale. "They had all been through a competitive domestic tournament in their home countries to qualify for the worlds. We had not. 

"Some of us had never even done a Sudoku before."

This severely disadvantaged the Kiwis as most of the of the puzzles in the competition were variations on Sudoku with ominous names such as killer Sudoku, fortified Sudoku, cross-Sudoku and jig-saw Sudoku.

The competition was held in one big room with 206 competitors, and consisted of two 10-hour days of brain teasers and number puzzles in exam conditions.

Individual competitors from Japan, Estonia and China took out first, second and third respectively, with scores in the high 4000s. New Zealand averaged just 200 each. 

"It was like being back in NCEA exams except we were getting schooled by kids," Meale said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4