Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Bright is the most underrated film of 2017.

Fight me.

Also Max Landis' script is online and good Lord god...

Ward exits and sees an LAPD Black and White on his lawn.

WARD: Aw come on. What the actual fuck?

NICK JAKOBY, early 30s, exits from the driver’s side with a grin -- By the way -- JAKOBY’S AN ORC...

The whole thing reads like a 12 year olds fan fiction. It's fucking great

SCOTT WARD can’t sleep. He scowls in defiance at the golden midday sun scorching through the blinds. Plain but handsome, with an ‘I’m in charge here’ buzzcut. A thoughtful man, but no genius, he’s stymied by the daylight.

We note the ANGRY BRUISING on his 200-pushups-a-day chest.

Edited by AJG

On 23/12/2017 at 5:00 AM, filmlover said:

And yet it'll probably be the most talked about movie on BOT released in the first quarter of 2018 lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is different from the book. I suspect a lot of the pop culture references will be more visual than verbal.

Between Max Landis's never-ending public spectacle of self-promotion and all the Fan4stic drama circulating Josh Trank, it now seems like a miracle that Chronicle was any good.

And for anyone who's curious about Bright, watch only if that curiosity is of the morbid variety. It's fascinating to see a cocktail of fantasy cliches, hard-R dirty cop flicks, ham-fisted attempts at Zootopia-style allegory, and amplification of all the worst of Suicide Squad's tone problems. I'm pretty sure it's the only movie that juxtaposes lines about wasting mf-ers with other lines about magic wands. And hoo boy, that's all to say nothing of the unfortunate implications about the intended real life racial parallels for the elves and orcs. I know Landis's script was heavily rewritten by Ayer, but it's so bad at a simple conceptual level that I can't imagine him getting many more chances - even if his career survives the newest allegations.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Between Max Landis's never-ending public spectacle of self-promotion and all the Fan4stic drama circulating Josh Trank, it now seems like a miracle that Chronicle was any good.

And for anyone who's curious about Bright, watch only if that curiosity is of the morbid variety. It's fascinating to see a cocktail of fantasy cliches, hard-R dirty cop flicks, ham-fisted attempts at Zootopia-style allegory, and amplification of all the worst of Suicide Squad's tone problems. I'm pretty sure it's the only movie that juxtaposes lines about wasting mf-ers with other lines about magic wands. And hoo boy, that's all to say nothing of the unfortunate implications about the intended real life racial parallels for the elves and orcs. I know Landis's script was heavily rewritten by Ayer, but it's so bad at a simple conceptual level that I can't imagine him getting many more chances - even if his career survives the newest allegations.

It's fascinating for sure. You can tell Ayer is very very comfortable when it's just Smith and Edgerton bantering with each other, but once the fantastical elements come in he isn't sure whether to stick to his grounded approach or go big. 

The idea is not bad, but the actual story used really needed a relook. The 3rd act especially needed to be changed entirely. The hero moments don't land, and the "I am blooded" scene is hilarious instead of being a good character arc ending.

• Like 1