Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

grrrrrr.... I hate inflexible rules.

I appreciate that our school district has spent the time to map out the standard progression of classes my son needs to take to prepare him for college.

However don't blindly quote to me from the 'book'.  A month into his 1st semester I had already researched his graduation requirements as well as Colorado college admission requirements.  I have a spreadsheet were I track his required classes and likely electives for all 4 years.

Yes... Colorado colleges want 4 years of math/science.  However they accept advanced middle school classes that are considered High School level.  So unless he takes AP math/sci classes he only will need 3 years of each.

The 2nd thing they do is front load all the required classes to the freshman/sophomore years.  If he follows the 'plan' he'll only have 1 required class his senior year.  I find that ridiculous.  I want to spread out his required courses and take more electives in his sophomore/junior years.

His 'one' elective the 1st two years is theater since right now that's the career path he wants to take.  But he also has the chance to audition for the competitive choir group.  It would really help him get parts and also look good when trying to get into a college theater program.

All I asked was if he could take chem/physics his junior/senior year instead of his sophomore/junior year.  You would have thought I told the counselor he was dropping out by the reaction.  

Now I have to take time off of work to go talk to them.

Now another rant...

They really push students to take the more 'advanced classes'.  

My son got a B in 8th grade algebra but was convinced to take Honors Geometry.   1-2 hours of work a day and struggled to a 87%.  Could have gotten a more enjoyable A in regular Geometry.  Instead of taking the typical freshman science class he was talked into biology.  A bad week or 2 dropped him to a 89%.  He also jumped a level in History and French.

Over the semester I could see the degrading of his grades as he got busier and busier.  

He declined going to ThesCon because he didn't want to miss 2 days of school.

I don't like harping on GPA but if he can maintain a 3.8 he will receive $6000/year at the college he wants to go to.  

Taking honors math, science, history and french does zero for his college career.  All it does is add hours of extra work and stress for a lower GPA.  We're going to bail on the ones we can next year.  I'd rather have him spending his time on things that relate directly to what he wants to do for his career.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Join a dating site.

you can't get over someone by being on a dating site

Also related, but I put on a short play today that was so revealing and honest that I honestly would've died if she was in the audience SO THANK GOD SHE WASN'T THERE

27 minutes ago, The Last AndyLL said:

Now another rant...

They really push students to take the more 'advanced classes'.  

So... @WrathOfHan, @Ethan Hunt, @DAJK, @Rorschach and other young ones.

So I've notice all of you take a lot of advanced classes.  Why is that?  Natural progression? Trying to get college credits?  Vanity?

Unlike when I was in high school my son't school has a million electives in different industries.  Economics, marketing, graphic art, computer, writing, music instruments, and so forth.

I'm encouraging him to explore different fields so when he gets to college he has a better idea of what he enjoys and is good at.  I'd much rather have him taking a business entrepreneurial class or piano instead of Calculus.

However I seem to be in the minority in this idea.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Last AndyLL said:

So I've notice all of you take a lot of advanced classes.  Why is that?  Natural progression? Trying to get college credits?  Vanity?

Unlike when I was in high school my son't school has a million electives in different industries.  Economics, marketing, graphic art, computer, writing, music instruments, and so forth.

I'm encouraging him to explore different fields so when he gets to college he has a better idea of what he enjoys and is good at.  I'd much rather have him taking a business entrepreneurial class or piano instead of Calculus.

Throughout most of high school, I always thought that taking the most advanced classes would be most beneficial. It wasn't until second semester of grade 12 that I realized that was wrong, so I took up economics and physical geography, something that a lot of people questioned and sorta laughed at. 

I think a big issue of it is the adults in our environment pushing us this way. Teachers telling us that they only way to get into a good school was to have advanced calculus on your transcript. To an extent, sure, if you can get a good mark in advanced calculus, you're pretty much set for your first year... if you're going into calculus. That's what they don't tell you is that there are so many other options to explore.

Just this semester, I dropped calc and chem to take anthropology and archaeology in college. Everyone in my friend group is asking why the hell I did it, and the answer is because its what I wanted to do. They're still going through calc and chem and hating it, and when I ask them why they're doing it, their only answer is ''it's what I have to do''. They don't even want to go into science, but it's just been what has been drilled into them throughout high school, that it's 'advanced science or bust'. 

If I were you I would keep encouraging your son to expand his view on education. Sure, keep him well-rounded in that he can have a good concept of mathematics and certain fields of science he finds interesting. But being able to play the guitar and piano is one of my favourite things. Having a black belt in karate is something I'm more proud of than an A in high school calculus. Branch out, try a variety of things because you're never going to learn what you really love or are good at unless you try them out. It's something I learned maybe a year too late in high school. 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, The Last AndyLL said:

Well I love math. I think it's fun. I find it mostly pretty easy (except Geometry. Fuck that shit) so I've always enjoyed taking the upper level math classes for no other reason than it's just fun for me. Now on the flip side I've stuck to not doing the highest level English classes because that's not as enjoyable for me. I am taking a college English class this year and I'm gonna be real it's far easier than any English I ever took at the high school. Instead of doing AP histories I took history electives that interested me in order to get my history credits. There was a Sports in Society class that was really fun. I am doing AP psychology and AP Stats this year for (hopefully) college credit. But both classes are of interest to me. I chose not to take physics this year because I was done with science credits and that just sounded like a way to kill my GPA.  I have done choir for all four years and yeah it's the class I've put the most work into because I love it. It's what is important to me. I've also done a couple acting classes, a peraonal finance class, Etc. 

All in all if there is a particular subject he would like to stay in the highest level in because he has a particular interest in it then I would encourage that but I think doing advanced everything is a needless waste. If there is an elective that interests that he could fill the day with instead of another "academic" class then he should go for it. Spread the love. Try new things. 

Hope you find this helpful :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Last AndyLL said:

Stick to your guns - helping your child figure out who he/she is and what he/she wants to do in life before he/she hits college is the most useful thing you can do for them.  College degrees aren't cheap, and having to redo them or being stuck in a hated industry b/c that's impossible - who wants to set their kid up for that?:)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Last AndyLL said:

I started taking college classes at my community college in my "junior" year of high school for a few reasons. The primary reason was to graduate early because each semester of English in college fulfilled a full high school credit. Political Science and Macroeconomics completed my social science credits, and I took Microeconomics as an elective. For high school classes, I was a year ahead in math, and I was able to complete chemistry and physics in one semester each. I was in a local orchestra for a few years, so that also filled up elective hours. Taking college classes let my graduate high school a year early, and I've been in CC full time since the fall. 

Initially, I was opposed to going to community college. I wanted to start college fresh at a university, but my mom wanted to save money. Plus, I had been homeschooled for nearly 7 years without a whole lot of social interaction (especially in the last 2-3 years before CC), so going to community college was necessary to build up my social skills (which are still..... a work in progress). I have mixed feelings on community college. On the one hand, I was able to graduate high school early and will be transferring to upper level courses in the fall when people my age will be freshmen. However, I am absolutely miserable at my school. I've whined enough about the lack of socialization, but the general quality of the campus isn't good. The course selection isn't diverse (it doesn't sound like your son has that problem), and I'm just never excited about school. Transferring from a CC to a university also makes admissions annoying as hell, but I don't have to submit SAT scores (mine are good but not competitive). 

Personally, I would push your son to take some upper level classes. He doesn't have to do them full time, but they can help him become acclimated to the "college environment" (depending on the school; no CC is a substitute for a university) and give him a head start.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Poe Blankeron said:

you can't get over someone by being on a dating site

Also related, but I put on a short play today that was so revealing and honest that I honestly would've died if she was in the audience SO THANK GOD SHE WASN'T THERE

Blanks, the girl who rejected me and her boyfriend literally sit right behind me in one of my classes (if you're wondering why I was whining about seeing so many people I know in classes the other week, here's the other part of the pie :lol: ). There's still a bit of awkward stigma being near her, but I ignore her as best as I can. If you see her in the audience one day or are in the same social setting, just focus on other things and R E L A X. Stop worrying so much, and you'll be in a better state of mind.

Edited by WrathOfHan