aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

Just now, TalismanRing said:

It's not about the B.O. but as a reminder for Awards season - of which contenders for have been pretty thin on the ground so far.

I think it’s going to be nominated but not win anything. The Shape of Water, Three Billboards, Darkest Hour and perhaps Call Me By Your Name will be the front runners

I’m surprised we didn’t get an early weekend Thread for Thor, I assume we’re not getting one for Justice League 

What's interesting is we're seeing the team up movies said having diminishing returns and the solo sequels converging to the grosses of the diminishing sequels.

It shows there's a distinct fan base that's simply wants to see nearly all of Marvel's movies, and less and less of those people are casual fans willing to skip some.

Thats a sign of a larger fanbase, but also a lower ceiling (as casual fans who may have just seen Avengers and one or two others stop seeing them).

Thats really healthy for Marvel though, because it indicates most of their movies should wind up in the 300m range, unless they start to produce duds and lose fans.  The big risk is based on their shared universe structure, if they lose fans it'll be harder to gain new ones (or get old ones to comeback)

Edited by The Pumpkin Spice Panda
  • Like 4

I gotta believe Thor's weekend numbers are gonna climb.  It is even filling up RealDs around here...nothing else has done that this year.  Poor moviegoers desperate to watch it but imax, Dolby, regular sold out.  Also think it does very well Saturday (abnormally well) due to the drought in kids movies/animation, etc. Adults have had many movies the past few months, but preteens didn't even experience IT. 

• Like 1