DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

The faith people have on Aquaman, the character and the movie, astound me.

I have no idea where is it coming from.

The director ? 

He never made a tentpole work, Fast & Furious is a too well established franchise to give him that much credit for its sucess.

A bro/metal guy with a trident who need to create air bubbles in the water to talk about the fish condition  is gonna be a giant crowdpleaser ?

On what planet ?

:WHATanabe:

Edited by The Futurist
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, spaghetti! said:

WONDER is the hero of the weekend. It's hard to say how much of a boost it'll get today on account of potential frontloading, but with an A+ Cinemascore, good things are ahead. I imagine most theatres are kicking themselves for only having it in one screen. While Coco may be a struggle, I think it'll have really good legs either way and could even snag a few Globe nods. I'm ecstatic for Chbosky and co. (Not to mention my man Daveed!!)

But yikes, pretty much everything (Even the indie flicks) took a hit this weekend, except for Bad Moms Christmas. Maybe STX was smarter than we gave them credit for, releasing the film this early. It could potentially leg its way to $100m if all goes well.

Not Lady Bird. ;)

6 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

No franchise is invincible. But as long as Marvel Studios keeps realsing quality films, the superhero genre will thrive. What I want to happen now with the DC Films universe isn't a reboot, but keeping the path to the soft reboot. There are good things about this shared universe, regardless how much flawed this film is. Gadot, Cavill, Momoa, Miller and Fisher deserve to shine in these characters. I hope they keep doing it and I hope Flashpoint will get us there. 

You have point. Soft reboots do work.

Look at Fast/Furious 5(?) and Jurassic World.

• Thanks 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

He can't blend into the role.

I look at him and can't help to see Ben Affleck the actor/celebrity.

But I would put his Bruce Wayne/Batman in the top 3 easily, maybe the top 2.

Him playing himself just works for me. Idk maybe his personalty just fits the role. 

I don't buy he's one of the reasons DCEU isn't doing well.

• Like 1

Don't know how much we can glean about Marvel/the superhero genre outside the DCEU from this performance. Especially after what we've just seen Thor 3 do these past few weeks. Obviously DC plays a pretty big role in the overall health of the genre, but literally just a few weeks ago we were talking about how much SH films have carried the BO this year. Plus, I think DC can recover if they produce quality solo outings over the next few years. 

Luckily they cancelled JL Part 2, could you imagine the disaster that would have been?

Edited by Jayhawk

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

You have point. Soft reboots do work.

Look at Fast/Furious 5(?) and Jurassic World.

I don't find solace in this. All those FUCKING STUPID FLAME WARS I've fought was to avoid this. All the times I've said that Snyder shouldn't come back for BvS, BECAUSE OF THIS. All the times I've said that Snyder should be fired after BvS? BECAUSE OF THIS. This is a sad weekend for the superhero genre. It's not how it should have gone down. It's not what these characters deserve, it's not what the fans deserve. All of this is yes, WB's fault. But they aren't alone. The hardcore fans that stood by this and attack everyone like "oh but it made money", I hope that you learn something from this. Because this isn't a hard pill you are having to take alone. I am too. Fans of this genre, true fans of this genre and of superheroes are gutted. 

But there's still hope. And I keep trusting Geoff Johns, Patty Jenkins AND Joss Whedon to get us there. Hopefully James Wan knows what he is doing and I'm excited with what David Sandberg will do with Shazam!.

1 minute ago, Jayhawk said:

Don't know how much we can glean about Marvel/the superhero genre outside the DCEU from this performance. Especially after what we've just seen Thor 3 do these past few weeks. Obviously DC plays a pretty big role in the overall health of the genre, but literally just a few weeks ago we were talking about how much SH films have carried the BO this year. Plus, I think DC can recover if they produce quality solo outings over the next few years. 

Luckily they cancelled JL Part 2, could you imagine the disaster that would have been?

If they (foolishly) go forward with another Snyder DCEU movie, it will definitely go sub-$200M. Possibly even sub-$150M.

• Like 2

Some films that grossed more than Justice League opening Friday

THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS

AMERICAN SNIPER

I AM LEGEND

THE SIMPSONS MOVIE

PITCH PERFECT 2

QUANTUM OF SOLACE

MONSTERS UNIVERSITY

AUSTIN POWERS 3

378546d1453760627-the-new-top-gear-clark

:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I don't see why Flahspoint and Shazam should be in trouble. Flashpoint stars the most likable characters of DCEU while Shazam is fresh and independent of the current storyline as it is, being cast and made after the franchise is moving in direction.

As to SS2, they are not going to let Quinn's mojo die in wane, however they must be wondering if SS1's mixed reception will lead to a big drop for SS2 ala JL. Instead of Batgril, get a Quinn solo maybe.

• Like 1

Somehow I find it kind of odd that JL has a more muted opening day but still Thor 3 got murdered. Not like it held well last weekend, either, but holy shit that’s bad.

I guess I keep learning over and over again that great reviews don’t matter for comic book movies (they seem to matter elsewhere somewhat), the movies still fall like a rock after opening no matter what. The only difference is bad reviews make the rock fall even faster. It’s like great reviews = pretty bad legs (Civil War, etc.), bad reviews = epically horrible legs (BVS). Apparently only Wonder Woman is immune. I can’t figure that out either. Open a comic book movie during the summer when virtually nothing has that good of legs, watch as movie manages to look like a 1997 blockbuster with a 4x multiple. Huh. Is that really just the older woman effect? Not in a hurry to see the movie like younger moviegoers / typical comic book fans? There has to be a good reason for the legs beyond just “Wonder Woman was great” because that applies to a dozen other comic book movies with much worse legs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Oh my god that's right! I totally forgot it was supposed to be split into two parts. Well at least WB could see some of the writing on the wall

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

I don't see why Flahspoint and Shazam should be in trouble. Flashpoint stars the most likable characters of DCEU while Shazam is fresh and independent of the current storyline as it is, being cast and made after the franchise is moving in direction.

As to SS2, they are not going to let Quinn's mojo die in wane, however they must be wondering if SS1's mixed reception will lead to a big drop for SS2 ala JL. Instead of Batgril, get a Quinn solo maybe.

I can confirm that Flashpoint is in trouble. I want it to happen and I want them to move forward, but sugarcoating this isn't right. We need to see what happens after Justice League. The only films truly safe are Wonder Woman 2, Reeves Batman, Aquaman and maybe Shazam!. Everything else, INCLUDING Suicide Squad 2? No, they are not safe. And we better start to stop sugarcoating it. 

1 minute ago, JonathanLB said:

Somehow I find it kind of odd that JL has a more muted opening day but still Thor 3 got murdered. Not like it held well last weekend, either, but holy shit that’s bad.

I guess I keep learning over and over again that great reviews don’t matter for comic book movies (they seem to matter elsewhere somewhat), the movies still fall like a rock after opening no matter what. The only difference is bad reviews make the rock fall even faster. It’s like great reviews = pretty bad legs (Civil War, etc.), bad reviews = epically horrible legs (BVS). Apparently only Wonder Woman is immune. I can’t figure that out either. Open a comic book movie during the summer when virtually nothing has that good of legs, watch as movie manages to look like a 1997 blockbuster with a 4x multiple. Huh. Is that really just the older woman effect? Not in a hurry to see the movie like younger moviegoers / typical comic book fans? There has to be a good reason for the legs beyond just “Wonder Woman was great” because that applies to a dozen other comic book movies with much worse legs.

Frankly, the best time for Comic Book films is July or August

No direct competition for months

9 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

No, it's not bad