DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

4 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Cultural phenomens are almost impossible to duplicate. Batman Begins wasnt one, it was just a solid, if not underwhelming box office run at the time. Furthermore, the incredible marketing campaign for TDK and HL death made TDK an event even before it came out.

WW2 has a predecessor that was already that kind of a phenomeneon. So it makes sense to predict more like a SM1 to SM2 scenario.

I keep hearing this nonsense over and over again! You people aren't good at predicting stuff! Otherwise most of you would be abke to predict, that first JL movie would be put in danger to gross less than 100m in its openning weekend! I'd say its too early to tell anything about WW sequel and especially its marketing campaign! We don't know what patty Jenkins and the team will unleash in a year time, so stop acting like you know what future holds! For all we know they can announce Charlize Theron as the villain in WW sequel and make huge bank from it, considering Charlize Theron won her oscar working with Jenkins! Announcing her returning to work with Jenkins for something as big as WW will create enormous buzz, comparable to the one TDK created!...

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

This is an overreaction.  Avengers 2 is not Justice League and it will rebound from Avengers: Age of Ultron.  

If anything, Jurassic World 2 and Incredibles 2 have a much bigger chance of underperforming.  Same thing with Deadpool 2 and Han Solo.  

Black Panther on the other hand is going to be a monster if the reviews are good.  

0% chance IW does more than Civil War okay

And I ain't saying this because of Justice League 

Edited by Ethan Hunt

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

This is an overreaction.  Avengers 2 is not Justice League and it will rebound from Avengers: Age of Ultron.  

If anything, Jurassic World 2 and Incredibles 2 have a much bigger chance of underperforming.  Same thing with Deadpool 2 and Han Solo.  

Black Panther on the other hand is going to be a monster if the reviews are good.  

Ethan is just convinced IW will do around 300M for..... some reason. I think that reason is because CW was apparently hated by everyone, but it's hard to tell with him :lol: 

I love this movie, but I also think its failure is good because maybe WB will finally come to their senses and stop messing up with the movies.

It's good that their next DC movie is more than 1 year away. Focus on Shazam, Wonder Woman 2, Flash ( not Flashpoint yet, just give the guy a solo movie ), The Batman and MOS 2. Oh, and don't try to mess up Aquaman's editing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

It's extremely hard to top a mega break out hit.

Especially one that crosses 400 m.

I think Catching Fire is the only exception.

With Hunger Games the decline just happened to be one movie late.

Edited by cookie

4 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

The message that this opening sends is pretty clear; people are fucking tired of bats and supes. There was no novelty factor in this and people didn't really want to spend their bucks to see a Batman movie for the 100th time.

The DCU universe needs to focus on new,fresh,lesser known characters and Wonder Woman is the proof. I could see Aquaman/Flash movies being quite successful If they really are good.

I don’t think people are tired of Superman and Batman. People should be tired of James Bond movies too with that logic. Superman remains one of my favorite superheroes despite not loving how he’s protrayed in recent movies. The movies just weren’t good enough for people to care this time. I do think they should continue to introduce other characters, but it’d be nice to get a great Superman movie too. 

1 minute ago, Walt Disney said:

My reason is simple, and after seeing what people here think of WW, it may be controversial. Wonder Woman didn't make as much as it did because it was a great movie. It made so much money because Wonder Woman is a popular character that had not had her own movie yet, so there was a built up demand. Additionally, a lot of women (and some men) wanted to see a movie where a female superhero did all the things that male superheroes do. That novelty allowed it to breakout from its core audience and do well with the GA.

The novelty factor has worn off. It will be difficult to get the female GA audience to come out again in the same force for another Wonder Woman movie. Once Captain Marvel is released in 2019 (the same year that Wonder Woman 2 is scheduled to be released), there will be another female superhero film to further erode the novelty. Also, Wonder Woman is now in the present day, so it is no longer a period piece. All of these factors will mean diminishing returns for Wonder Woman.

There is something that nobody is really factoring into Wonder Woman's success, and understandably so given the focus was on the female driven aspects, but that movie did as well as it did because of Chris Pine and his chemistry with Gal Gadot.  

He was fantastic with her on screen and losing him from the series is going to hurt.  He was able to stand side by side with her and support her character but at the same time carry enough weight and charm that Wonder Woman fell in love with him and admired him.  That is a very hard thing to pull off and the writers and actors did a masterful job with it.  

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, TJHooker said:

I keep hearing this nonsense over and over again! You people aren't good at predicting stuff! Otherwise most of you would be abke to predict, that first JL movie would be put in danger to gross less than 100m in its openning weekend! I'd say its too early to tell anything about WW sequel and especially its marketing campaign! We don't know what patty Jenkins and the team will unleash in a year time, so stop acting like you know what future holds! For all we know they can announce Charlize Theron as the villain in WW sequel and make huge bank from it, considering Charlize Theron won her oscar working with Jenkins! Announcing her returning to work with Jenkins for something as big as WW will create enormous buzz, comparable to the one TDK created!...

Exclamation points!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Ethan is just convinced IW will do around 300M for..... some reason. I think that reason is because CW was apparently hated by everyone, but it's hard to tell with him :lol: 

CW isn't hated. But CW also only did 408M or whatever. CW had an incredible hook, incredible marketing, and incredible reviews and reception and it couldn't  top Ultron. I don't see why IW would do better. It just doesn't make sense. 300M is probably on the low end of what I could see it doing though. I'd put it at like 350M for now

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, TJHooker said:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

CW isn't hated. But CW also only did 408M or whatever. CW had an incredible hook, incredible marketing, and incredible reviews and reception and it couldn't  top Ultron. I don't see why IW would do better. It just doesn't make sense. 300M is probably on the low end of what I could see it doing though. I'd put it at like 350M for now

I'll bet whatever money you would like that Avengers: Infinity War makes more than Civil War.  I'll even spot you a $50m cushion.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TJHooker said:

:hahaha:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, crazydom said:

Saying people are sick of Bats/Supes isn't the right way to phrase it. People are sick of Cavill and Batfleck. They're too tied to this mess at this point and WB just needs to get new actors.

I don't think this is true at all.  

People are tired of Cavill and Affleck being put in shitty movies.  I actually hope Warner Bros. is smart and moves forward with The Batman as a solo movie with no shared universe bullshit.  Nothing about saving the world.  Simply give Batman a crime saga and detective story against a real and grounded human villain directed by Matt Reeves.  That is what the people want.  

Same thing with Man of Steel 2.  Get a movie where, yeah, Superman might have to in some way save the world, but get him a solo movie that is more grounded and not a CGI schlockfest.  

Warner Bros. needs to go smaller, not bigger.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1