DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

3 minutes ago, Harley said:

Outside of Star Wars is there anything upcoming that can oust Beauty and the Beast from the #1 opening of the year ($174.8 million?) Star Wars will beat that which still means Disney has the top 2 biggest openers of the year.

Nope. Coco is the only other "big" release remaining this year.

Heading to JL in an hour...for its 1st shows, my local theater already has a total sell out of Wonder, a virtual sellout of JL, and 2/3 sold for The Star - it's a sign of a good box office morning:).  (PS - Wonder has already gotten itself an extra showing today - and people said you couldn't sell family movies like this anymore - now just to cheer on The Star getting double digits, since it went up in Deadline's new report - hopefully, it keeps going!)

PS - Although what an interesting weekend - I get to now have a supers movie opening call rivaling my blown call on Baywatch, while The Star actually blows through most everyone's $5M or less predicts and has a chance to hit my predict still with families flocking to theaters this weekend (even with Wonder's rise, which I called despite stupid tracking)...wouldn't have thought that was the way this weekend would go last week:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

6 minutes ago, Harley said:

Outside of Star Wars is there anything upcoming that can oust Beauty and the Beast from the #1 opening of the year ($174.8 million?) Star Wars will beat that which still means Disney has the top 2 biggest openers of the year.

Top 3 actually since they have Guardians.

34 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

This likely kills any plans for a JL sequel for like the next 6 years.

Aquaman is done filming and is coming out next year no matter what.

Shazam is getting ready to film. They even cast the lead actor and all that.

Wonder Woman 2 is a go absolutely.

CGI in the atlantis fight scene was poor...would be interesting to see if there will be any improvement in the solo movie

I think WB saw the trainwreck coming domestically. I mean the marketing for what was supposed to be their biggest event movie of the year seemed surprisingly muted. And everyone knows WB is great in marketing their movies especially in the last few weeks. But for this there was hardly any press junkets in US or magazine covers and shoots or talk shows or youtube interviews. 

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nova said:

Deadline brought JL down to $93M. How much lower do you think this can go? Right now, I would not be shocked if it misses $90M. 

I can’t believe I am saying that right now. Like there was a time when $90-93M would have been numbers we’d be talking about in regards to Justice League’s opening day not opening weekend. 

I think JL wasn’t great, but it was fun and in a vacuum could have had a solid OW. But instead of a vacuum it opened in a world where it had to pay MoS and BvS’s karmic box office debt. I think it’ll have decent legs, and it’ll generate enough goodwill that Aquaman, if its good, might actually do well. Then WW2 will crush it again and JL2 will seem doable again.

Maybe its the optimist in me talking, but if Marvel is Coca Cola, things work better if it has a Pepsi to compete against. JL was the first movie (WW was so different and kinda doesn’t count, which is part of the problem) that said to me DCEU wants to be Pepsi instead of Mr Pibb. 

• Like 1

These numbers are of epic disaster proportions.I'm very dissapointed.It's baffling to think that JL would be the film to break DC's streak of 100M openers.Ridiculous to say the least.The only good thing that will come out of this that on Monda head will roll at WB and maybe these asshats will learn not to butcher their movies.

I mean those who didn't like the previous DC entries were already not gonna show up.Those who liked previous DC entries turned their back because WB tried to pander to critics.All that,and Thor Ragnarok breaking out in a big way,i think resulted to JL's hugely underwhelming performance.The movie itself does not deserve it but the execs can go fuck themselves.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

I think WB saw the trainwreck coming domestically. I mean the marketing for what was supposed to be their biggest event movie of the year seemed surprisingly muted. And everyone knows WB is great in marketing their movies especially in the last few weeks. But for this there was hardly any press junkets in US or magazine covers and shoots or talk shows or youtube interviews. 

Maybe Whedon and Affleck said they wanted out early. And of course neither Whedon nor Snyder would be all that excited about promoting something that wasn't really "their's".

Most of the solo movies will happen.If they want DCEU to keep going,annd i'm sure they do,the only way is to get the audiences to warm up to the characters.

Aquaman  willl obviously happen.Wonder Woman will happen even if JL would have a 10M opening.Shazam is too far into production.Flash and Superman  had great response for WB to just overllok them...in the case of the latter he is too big of a character as well.Batman has a great filmmaker attached to it and he is Batman.The only character in danger right now is sadly Cyborg.

1 minute ago, syntaxerror said:

Soo... did the RT score debacle help our hurt? Conventional wisdom would say that keeping the negative score under wraps would have helped the film in order to minimize negative WOM.

they made an event out of this.Lots of talk surrounded the score only for a rotten one to be revealed.Also,people were saying that WB was afraid of something that's why they were hiding it.

2 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Most of the solo movies will happen.If they want DCEU to keep going,annd i'm sure they do,the only way is to get the audiences to warm up to the characters.

Aquaman  willl obviously happen.Wonder Woman will happen even if JL would have a 10M opening.Shazam is too far into production.Flash and Superman  had great response for WB to just overllok them...in the case of the latter he is too big of a character as well.Batman has a great filmmaker attached to it and he is Batman.The only character in danger right now is sadly Cyborg.

If any of these happen  - okay, yes Aquaman and WW2 are probably definites - but, I think anything else can be canceled - heck, Disney just this summer canceled an animated movie Gigantic that they spent 2 1/2 years developing...Sometimes, it's worth not putting any more money into a doomed to fail product.

If you think BvS tainted the GA, you need to 1st replace Bats and Supes in costume...and anyone related to them (Lois, Lex, etc)...You need to go as far away from Bats and Supes as possible...b/c if you don't, the GA will still say "ugh, Affleck/Cavill again - did you see how awful their BvS movie was?  How will this be any different?"  Doesn't matter how great they were in costume - Clooney wasn't terrible as Bats, but he never put the suit on again...sometimes you gotta break from even good actors if movies taint them...

The good news is that WW doesn't age...so you can have her on a team or in a universe at any time...no problem for any future team ups with her...so, she's the one element you can save from the BvS core, b/c she also really isn't associated with the movie in a negative light...

• Like 1

JL doing under $250M isn’t good. It’s pitiful. WB not only dropped the ball on marketing but they made the mistake on bringing Snyder back. This was supposed to be their Avengers, this might not do more than Logan. This fall is not good for WB, outside of IT. The LCU is fucked and WAG isn’t looking hot, BR2049 flopped, and the League fell, like all the others.

I am impressed with Wonder. I think it can possibly make a run to $150M, maybe $170M depending on the bold next week.

The Star is doing solid. It’ll probably be around $20M by the end of Thanksgiving and finish around $40M-$50M which is good for that small budget. Probably would’ve done way better in that December 8th spot. Then again Ferdinand and Jumanji.

Also Lady Bird is doing well.

Edited by YourMother

10 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Only Aquaman, Shazam and WW2 are set in stone! Others are in danger of either heavily altered or scrapped altogether from the current slate! (Yes, including Flash, Superman and Batman!). If i ran WB i would seriously reconsider at this point changing Flashpoint into The Flash and concentrating heavily on Flash's origin story, effectively introducing to his rogue gallery! It occurs to me WB doesn't know how to handle big event movies like these...Besides i am not sure average moviegoer (especially women!) will be happy to see Wonder Woman the way, she is shown in Flashpoint story arc!...One of the reasons her solo worked so well and was praised so much is the fact, that she embodies everything classic Superman does, effectively replacing him as hope and peace bringer of DCEU for the time being! WB will be stupid to make her evil! Besides i am not sure Gal Gadot can pull off convincing evil character...she looks too innocent for that kind of stuff!...