DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

Just now, Webslinger said:

Warner Bros rushed both Batman v. Superman and Justice League into theatres because they wanted an Avengers-sized cash cow right away. Back when they made the announcement that the Superman sequel would feature Batman in 2013, it also felt like they were desperate to ensure that their Superman sequel wouldn't drop after the divided reaction Man of Steel had.

I also get the impression that because they're dealing with such huge marquee names - whereas Marvel dealt with superheroes whom the general public either hadn't heard of, thought were lame, or didn't know nearly as well as the bigger names in the Marvel or DC universes - they wouldn't have to bother with setup films before getting to the main event. The cruel irony is that their "main event" films thus far have just felt like 2-2.5 hours of setup for something even larger.

It's what happens when you put money before proper filmmaking and storytelling. People are more than willing to see something like The Dark Knight; in other words, they never needed to bother rushing in the first place. They should've taken their time with better films. Hopefully Wonder Woman was a sign that they're getting back on track.

"Batman v Superman is where you go when you admit to yourself that you've exhausted all possibilities".

Who remembers that quote? It stuck with me.

All joking aside, i really hope WB/DC dont just panic and let all fall apart. Like some others have mentioned, get rid of Snyder and focus on solo-entrys with grounded storys, good scrips and abandon the ALL COMING TOGETHER movies.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

Here's the thing with sticking with the release date (at least once the director switch happened)...other than cleaning up a few special effects (and spending even more money), I don't think they could do much better with what they had already done.  My spouse made that point after the movie (after he said he finally had a DC movie again not named WW that he would enjoy rewatching vs carving his eyes out if he had to rewatch) - I mean pacing and plotting was the best it would be for the plot and villain they decided on...I'd get too spoilery, but some scenes couldn't be saved, but still probably needed to happen...so keeping them short and sweet and moving on was just the better idea than spending a crap ton of money trying a huge fix.  You can tell the scenes and actions in those spots probably were meant to be way longer and involved, and that would have made the movie much worse vs much better...

5 minutes ago, Orestes said:

It would be more shocking if they didn't try to get them back. I hope they don't succeed.

Yeh didn’t they have to drag Bale back for even the third batman film they did. I’m sure they’re not interested in doing it a fourth time. 

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

The shocking thing is....if we can compare blockbusters in general....Justice League’s $38M OD is lower than say.....Finding Dory’s $54M OD. Granted that was last year in summer...and it’s a Pixar film....but it  is interesting to compare Justice League with any big movie we can find.

GODZILLA (2014)
Warner Bros.

$38,410,607

-- / $9,719
$38,410,607 / 1

:redcapes:

22 minutes ago, straggler said:

What I do not get is the release strategy. BvS was last year. Wonder Woman was just a few months ago. Why rush JL into theaters? Why not do the Flash and Aquaman films first, establish the characters, then release JL next year? And if those films were well received, it may have conditioned the critics to be more receptive while creating some favorable bandwagonism that greets the MCU films.  

They were rushing to copy Marvel's success with the Avengers.

I'm in awe. I've always loved both marvel and DC with a preference for marvel, but I'd never wish DC to make bad films and for their films to do badly. If this universe was done right, JL would be making twice as much money right now. I seriously can't believe this could end up under 100m OW. I seriously can't wrap my head around that. 

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

Yeh didn’t they have to drag Bale back for even the third batman film they did. I’m sure they’re not interested in doing it a fourth time. 

No he was signed for three. There was no dragging until they tried to get him back for BvS with a 50 mil offer. 

They’ll obviously continue with Wonder Woman 2 (biggest superhero success story of 2017) and Aquaman is already finished (luckily for James Wan :rofl:)

I don’t think Flash, Cyborg, Batman and Superman will get any other movies. I think it’s finished. Maybe a WW3 if the sequel does well. 

3 hours ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Really? So if the Last Jedi opened to $95M you'd consider that a good opening? GTFO

Objectively, it's a good opening. Compared to various expectations of studios, fanboys, etc.? Maybe not. But go with the objective, not the hopes and dreams.

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

Warner Bros rushed both Batman v. Superman and Justice League into theatres because they wanted an Avengers-sized cash cow right away. Back when they made the announcement that the Superman sequel would feature Batman in 2013, it also felt like they were desperate to ensure that their Superman sequel wouldn't drop after the divided reaction Man of Steel had.

I also get the impression that because they're dealing with such huge marquee names - whereas Marvel dealt with superheroes whom the general public either hadn't heard of, thought were lame, or didn't know nearly as well as the bigger names in the Marvel or DC universes - they wouldn't have to bother with setup films before getting to the main event. The cruel irony is that their "main event" films thus far have just felt like 2-2.5 hours of setup for something even larger.

They freaked out because the cash cow of Nolan was walking out the door and they knew nobody at that point was really looking forward to Man of Steel 2, so at that ComicCon they had that last second announcement with a logo on screen and locked themselves into Snyder and a shared universe.  They were also hoping they could throw a vault of money at Bale.  It was a terrible mistake, but at least we got Wonder Woman out of it.  

• Like 1

Here's the thing, after 2012, WB was in a weird place cause they had lost both of their biggest cash cows with TDK and HP finished. On top of that, The Hobbit movies were not performing up to par either. Also in 2012, they see this big shiny thing over at Marvel - The Avengers comes out and basically obliterates everything in its path. Following that, all their individual hero franchises got a boost at the box office too. An Iron Man 3 made $1.2 billion - more than any Batman film! Insane! Who wouldn't want a piece of this action? 

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

Objectively, it's a good opening. Compared to various expectations of studios, fanboys, etc.? Maybe not. But go with the objective, not the hopes and dreams.

Why is it so hard for you guys to admit that this a bad opening OBJECTIVELY?

Just now, Rebeccas said:

Here's the thing, after 2012, WB was in a weird place cause they had lost both of their biggest cash cows with TDK and HP finished. On top of that, The Hobbit movies were not performing up to par either. Also in 2012, they see this big shiny thing over at Marvel - The Avengers comes out and basically obliterates everything in its path. Following that, all their individual hero franchises got a boost at the box office too. An Iron Man 3 made $1.2 billion - more than any Batman film! Insane! Who wouldn't want a piece of this action? 

The Hobbits did huge business overseas so I don't think they were a factor. But this is why fear is never a good way to make decisions. 

4 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

DQ3Rx.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

No he was signed for three. There was no dragging until they tried to get him back for BvS with a 50 mil offer. 

That isn't really true either.  Yes, they were signed, but they had to drag Nolan and Bale back kicking and screaming to finish it and it showed in how completely sloppy it was and how uninterested Bale was acting in that movie.