That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

With back to back A+ CS for Wonder and Coco, it seems like the audience are really in the mood for feel good movies. Maybe a reaction to the toxic political atmosphere 

Edited by forg

11 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I have not seen it, but people are sounding a bit like an exaggeration, you are talking about MTV movie of the year winner that opened like that on home media:

The film debuted at No. 1 on the NPD VideoScan overall disc sales chart, with all other titles in the top 20, collectively, selling only 40% as many units as Beauty and the Beast.[77] The movie regained the top spot on the national home video sales charts during its third week of release.

According to google trend it maintained a much bigger online presence over a movie like Wonder Woman except for a small windows of that movie release:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fg%2F11b71vdd3r,%2Fm%2F08fpjj

I am really unsure we are a good group to judge a movie like that place in people memory.

It is even beating a Star wars movie on home video sales according to this (that sold for a significantly longer period of 2017 than Beauty and the beast):

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/packaged-media-sales/2017

Chance are not 0 that it will be a top 3 least forgotten/most rewatched movie of 2017 worldwide in the next 25 year's.

You may be right. I always forget how fucking stupid the general public is. 

24 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

You may be right. I always forget how fucking stupid the general public is. 

What a stupid comment for someone who is not a stupid member of the general public

• Like 1

It looks like Justice League will be loosing this weekend.  I cannot believe it!

Here is the last updated MT rankings from around 5 this afternoon

25.5% - Coco

20.1% - JL

18.9% - Wonder

7.7% - Thor

5.6% - Express

I hope JL goes up.  Maybe GOTG2 went lower when Alien Covenant opened but then went back to #1 the next day

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I am really surprised everytime I hear the phrase "Trump's America".

Obama's America two years ago consisted of different people?

It's a reference to the changing attitude, not the changing people.  People feel way more bolstered in expressing support for racist/sexist/etc opinions in an open way, which includes verbal harassment and physical violence.  Most of what's changed is that people now think it's perfectly fine to do things because the people in power support those opinions.  Two years ago, they might have been a bit more wary about being open in their bigotry.

• Like 6

TS3 is my fav Pixar. I didn't even love TS1/TS2.

TS3, Incredibles and don't ban me, Cars1 are my top 3.

Ratatouille and Nemo (on re-watches kinda drags a tad for me, once you get over the breathtaking animation especially for it's time) rounding the top 5.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

7 minutes ago, Sal said:

It's a reference to the changing attitude, not the changing people.  People feel way more bolstered in expressing support for racist/sexist/etc opinions in an open way, which includes verbal harassment and physical violence.  Most of what's changed is that people now think it's perfectly fine to do things because the people in power support those opinions.  Two years ago, they might have been a bit more wary about being open in their bigotry.

So in other words, America has always been a racist country that just isn't ashamed to show it anymore.

10 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

It looks like Justice League will be loosing this weekend.  I cannot believe it!

25.5% - Coco

20.1% - JL

18.9% - Wonder

7.7% - Thor

5.6% - Express

I hope JL goes up.  Maybe GOTG2 went lower when Alien Covenant opened but then went back to #1 the next day

I too think COCO will finish #1. Gonna use 12m Wed for JL and 13.3 for Coco (2.3 + 11). Early Deadline seems conservative for Coco and hokum for JL.

JL

Wed 12 (+13.75%)

Thu 9.5 (-21%)

Fri 18 (+90%)

Sat 17 (-6%)

Sun 9 (-47%)

= 44 2nd weekend (-53.0%)

COCO: 

2.3 preview + 11 true Wed = 13.3 Wed. Moana's 3-day was 4.39x the True Friday (12.9). That would give Coco 48.3 FSS (70 5-day). But even accounting for some front-loading from Pixar fan-base (which Moana did not have), I think 45+ FSS (65+ 5-day) at least is on the cards.

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I too think COCO will finish #1. Gonna use 12m Wed for JL and 13.3 for Coco (2.3 + 11). Early Deadline seems conservative for Coco and hokum for JL.

COCO: 

2.3 preview + 11 true Wed = 13.3 Wed. Moana's 3-day was 4.39x the True Friday (12.9). That would give Coco 48.3 FSS (70 5-day). But even accounting for some front-loading from Pixar fan-base (which Moana did not have), I think 45+ FSS (65+ 5-day) at least is on the cards.

I am going with Moana multiplier for this.  I think any borderline numbers should be rounded down due to slighter front-loading from Moana.  I know Moana was front-loaded from comparisons, and I think Coco will continue this trend. Coco's reach might be able to grow further on Saturday and then Sunday.  Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

I have not seen it, but people are sounding a bit like an exaggeration, you are talking about MTV movie of the year winner that opened like that on home media:

I am really unsure we are a good group to judge a movie like that place in people memory.

Chance are not 0 that it will be a top 3 least forgotten/most rewatched movie of 2017 worldwide in the next 25 year's.

If people on this board were an actual representation of the GA audience then a movie like BR2049 would have been one of the biggest movies of the year. Safe to say we are far from a good representation of what the GA likes and remembers. 

25 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I think they’re expecting closer to $10.3m Wednesday according to THR

Even a marginal drop on Thanksgiving Wed is wtf-worthy. FB too faced comp from Moana but increased 17%. MJ1/2 jumped 20% on the same Wed. Accounting for bigger Tue bump than those films, a 10-15% Wed bump was in order imo.

edit: I think you meant Variety

“Coco” was taking in about $12 million on Wednesday at 3,948 venues, which included $2.3 million in Tuesday night previews. “Justice League” is pegged to gross around $10.3 million on Wednesday, bringing its six-day total to about $122 million.

Edited by a2knet

1 hour ago, Matrix4You said:

25.5% - Coco

20.1% - JL

18.9% - Wonder

7.7% - Thor

5.6% - Express

I think Coco will hand it a loss but look at how close Wonder is to it. That's even crazier to me.