That One Girl

5-Day Weekend Thread | Saturday #s (Asgard p.109) - Coco 17.7, Justice League 15.7, Wonder 8.3, Thor: Ragnarok 6.4, Daddy's Home 2 5.3

34 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Wouldn't you already know that with Rogue One's cast?  If there's a definition of blockbuster, that one was it...

Pure SW appeal and it dropped really really hard in comparison to TFA especially OS where Asians in the cast failed to attract, well, Asians. cause putting a superstar like Donnie Yen in a supporting role to Felicia Who is not a progress from those markets POV and they are right. Only Hollywood would feel smug and self-congratulatory for stuffing a true star in a third banana role in the movie led by virtual nobodies. It isn't that offensive if the lead were Sandra Bullock and Leo but Felicia and Diego Who is just :kitschjob:. So, no, RO wasn't nearly as progressive as  made out to be. progressive from US POV maybe but not from world POV. I have immense respect for Asians for turning away from this movie. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I see all movies and it’s very important to me that the movie is good but it’s nice to see a movie with a diverse cast to succeed.

Well as long as the movie is good, it is great. If the movie sucks, it doesn't mather what cast it has, i hope it doesn't do good buisness so they learn to make quality over quantity. (Only speaking about actual bad movies) 

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Probably dropped for the same reason Coco dropped: families usually stay away from the movies on Thanksgiving for the most part. My Coco showing last night didn't even have 20 people in it.

yeah my afternoon showing had maybe 10 people there yesterday

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

You'd think so, but it's still reasonable to doubt many Hollywood execs feel that way.

Well yeah people can be stupid, honestly people are people doesn't mather what skin color. Thats like saying a blue 8 is beter then purple 8, just stupid. 

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Pure SW appeal and it dropped really really hard in comparison to TFA especially OS where Asians in the cast failed to attract, well, Asians. cause putting a superstar like Donnie Yen in a supporting role to Felicia Who is not a progress from those markets POV and they are right. Only Hollywood would feel smug and self-congratulatory for stuffing a true star in a third banana role in the movie led by virtual nobodies. It isn't that offensive if the lead were Sandra Bullock and Leo but Felicia and Diego Who is just :kitschjob:. So, no, RO wasn't nearly as progressive as  made out to be. progressive from US POV maybe but not from world POV. I have immense respect for Asians for turning away from this movie. 

Riiiight. Haha, Asians turned away from Rogue One because they were miffed the Asian actors didn't get big ENOUGH roles in the biggest film of the year. Even though Chirrut was by far the coolest character in the movie. Not Jyn. No, sorry, but Asians turned away as you say because Star Wars has never been a big deal at all in Asian countries outside of Japan. Very simple to understand.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 75Live said:

yeah my afternoon showing had maybe 10 people there yesterday

Yeah, holiday movies are ups and down depending on whether the day is family dinner or family day out or shopping or whatever. Xmas time is going to be roller-coaster too. Family dinner = TLJ won't even hit 600M! Day out = 800M back on table! :D

@JonathanLB SW is no big deal in Asia but giving their biggest star a small stereotypical role (he's Asian so he has to do some martial arts with a stick even though that looks like he's in a different movie) didn't help either. Perhaps having an Asian star in a major SW role would attract Asians to the franchise? 

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Matrix4You said:

My predictions are terrible.  I do good when using a 'microscope' for day to day predictions.  Maybe one feels good how the day to days look and you can work out a 21 day run or something.  I don't know.  As soon as i take away that microscope my predictions suck.  I do not let my experience work towards bettering my forecasts.  Instead, I rely on bias to always favor towards the most interesting box office outcome.  Therefore I am usually 75% at best when predicting at the beginning of a season.  Even plenty of 0% for individual predictions too!  But yeah, Bad Moms 2 is difficult.  It has like plus or minus 50% going for it.  I plotted BM2 increasing on Thursday so the results would look fun.  In a way, I rigged my system against what should have been a more fair assessment.  I put BM2 at an increase, consciously knowing it would look different from the others.    If it follows Almost Christmas, it will exceed the 150% Friday jump I already have going for it.  I guess the easiest number for BM2 Thursday would be equaling the Wednesday number.  That number sucked anyways.  Daddy's Home 2 faces a similar situation.  plus or minus 50 %potential.  Staying equal to Wednesday is safest (and probably most probable) solution.  Movies like Murder on the Orient Express often increase on Thursday, so keeping it equal to Wednesday is good enough.  Basically, the Thursday numbers on my chart can be ignored for now when looking at the Weekend #'s.  When analyzing those numbers, it is best to draw comparisons from Monday and Wednesday, and also writing out a sheet from the week prior when JL opened.  Then you can compare the 3-day weekend from an admissions POV from last weekend. The Tuesday # is useless because I already fucked it up throwing in my discount multiplier.

*I will be editing my last Weekend Forecast right now to show the ratio of the PTA fro last weelk's PTA.  For Wonder and JL, I will remove the Thursday previews for those films and only use the Fri=Sat+SUN PTA ratio. 

Well the main problem is that even if you will be right that movie will have 100% or 150% gain in Friday, and your Sat and Sun percentage gain/loss also will be correct your estimations may still be f*cked because i don't think that many movies will be gaining or even staying equal to wednesay on Thanksgiving Day. Because of that imho it would have much more sense if you would gave us just  your 3 or/and 5 day weekend numbers. 

Very solid for Justice League. Seems to perform day on, day off for some reason. Doubt it's a coincidence that both big superhero movies happened to both have really good daily holds on the same frame - I guess the demographics on both aren't 100% family business after all.

Coco holding on very well, better than Moana. 200M is a done deal if 70M 5-day is achieved (which it seems very likely). DAT PIXAR POWAH.

Wonder not quite as good, but still fine. Coco probably took some business away, as did Thanksgiving. Regardless, at a 20M budget, this movie is a phenomenal success, so Lionsgate should be immensely happy with it. Never imagined this would be a 100M+ hit, but here we are.

Ragnarok also with a strong hold. If 300M was in some sort of doubt due to the JL-weekend stumble (not really imo, but some did have it), it'll probably a given after Sunday. Massive props to @slambros, the 1st person I've heard to actually correctly predict that Thor would outgross JL. Probably the only one too, that I can remember - because who the fuck thought that Thor fucking 3 would do more money than Justice League? Jesus Christ.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

OGM, Chinese audience may embrace Pixar for the time with Coco!

With it breaking out in China, I fully expect similar breakout in Japan family is very important there as well. If everything goes well, I could see it approaching 1B WW.:ohmygod:

33 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

OGM, Chinese audience may embrace Pixar for the time with Coco!

Finally!  I don't even care of it screws by Winter Game projections. :lol:

Is it China reacting well to the family and ancestors angle?

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1