DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

They're only choking the competition because the other studios haven't been putting out product worthy of those prime spots on as consistent a basis.

And spending billion buying studios that could have, Marvel, Lucas Art, Pixar.... now Fox. Most of those Disney release using those spot will come from recently acquired studio's.

Everyone keeps saying Disney will cut down the Fox releases to some small number per year.  I don't see that.  They did this for increased content.  They need to keep churning things out not only on streaming but in theater.  

I don't see them reducing their slate by that much.  The $2b in cost savings alone will fund the slate going forward.  

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Everyone keeps saying Disney will cut down the Fox releases to some small number per year.  I don't see that.  They did this for increased content.  They need to keep churning things out not only on streaming but in theater.  

Can you explain why they stopped doing movies with Disney and all stopped Dreamworks and so on partnership if they needed content ? New reality because of the streaming platform ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Can you explain why they stopped doing movies with Disney and all they had and stopped Dreamworks and so on partnership if they needed content ? New reality because of the streaming platform ?

Those things were decided nearly 2 years ago.  The shedding of subscribers on the cable/sat side and the rise of Netflix creating their own content have changed the game.  They are sick of watching customers cancel and then go to a streaming service.  They have the money and it is a big investment, but with ESPN and the brand recognition of Disney and Fox they might have a chance to compete.  

• Like 1

Yeah, everyone needs to remember that for the next year and a half or so FOX is still operating very much on it's own. Deadline has several different articles explaining some of the behind the scenes, but until things are approved, if my reading comprehension is right Disney cannot so much as ask for a release date change let it be seen as interfering.

I am curious how this will effect things that have been talked about (ala Death on the Nile) but haven't gone beyond the talk yet.

And @EmpireCity I really hope that you end up wrong about the licensing stuff - some of my favorite theater outings are the older Fox films, particularly The Sound of Music. :(

• Like 1

They have 52 billion to buy Fox but no money to finance a third TRON movie? Disney you're killing me here. ;)

From a serious point of view, I do find this kind of disturbing that a serious amount of stuff is now under Disney. Their demands to movie theaters are only going to get more ridiculous. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Darth Suburious said:

I was joking. I do not want Amazon to buy Disney. But I am guessing you would be upset 

I hope you don't bet your savings on it. I'd be a little disappointed, but I'd never act like some people in this thread. And I certainly wouldn't threaten to put someone on ignore just because they were happy over that deal.

I follow box office for fun. It's nothing more and nothing less to me. Certainly not life or death.

Now, the Yankees losing the World Series, that's serious business. You didn't want to be around me right after the 2004 ALCS.

• Haha 1