Eric Prime

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Lol was it really just to not pay for the marvels fans seeing it 3 times the first weekend....

Perhaps backlash more than anything else, though the timing of both announcements is utterly hilarious. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 6:53 PM, YLF said:

There was legitimate fraud with people going to theaters and purchasing tickets not seeing the movie solely for the rewards points, but not letting them check in to the same movie won't really prevent that. Its dumb. I saw BP a lot of times with my movie pass and watched it every single time.

I thought the "take a picture of your ticket stub" policy was designed to prevent fraud. But taking a picture of a stub wouldn't prevent me from reselling the ticket after that or just checking in and buying tickets solely for the purpose of gaining loyalty rewards points at bigger theatres, while not seeing a movie I've either already seen or never planned on seeing. So taking a picture of a stub is useless, unless people were checking in and using the predetermined amount to charge something other than a movie ticket to the card (like concessions or something), and that is what they are actually trying to prevent (along with discouraging people from checking in for rewards points on movies they've already seen).

31 minutes ago, misterchief81 said:

I thought the "take a picture of your ticket stub" policy was designed to prevent fraud. But taking a picture of a stub wouldn't prevent me from reselling the ticket after that or just checking in and buying tickets solely for the purpose of gaining loyalty rewards points at bigger theatres, while not seeing a movie I've either already seen or never planned on seeing. So taking a picture of a stub is useless, unless people were checking in and using the predetermined amount to charge something other than a movie ticket to the card (like concessions or something), and that is what they are actually trying to prevent (along with discouraging people from checking in for rewards points on movies they've already seen).

Thats true. Also, I heard of people using MP to go to premium showings for movies. They would just pay the remaining balance with is not allowed according to MP. So it prob helps with that too. The thing is I've heard of people sending in pics... and its fine then the app asks them again for the same ticket stub a week later. So, they end up getting banned bc they didnt have the stub anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Lol was it really just to not pay for the marvels fans seeing it 3 times the first weekend....

Nope. Terms of Service still says Once per movie. I love some of their PR spin on this though. it's hilarious.

32 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

Nope. Terms of Service still says Once per movie. I love some of their PR spin on this though. it's hilarious.

Are they trying to say that it is for any other reason to not have to pay for the fanboys summers movies rewatch ? Like give you to opportunity to open your movies horizon's ?

33 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

"Any theater, any* movie, any day"

*for certain values of "any"

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Are they trying to say that it is for any other reason to not have to pay for the fanboys summers movies rewatch ? Like give you to opportunity to open your movies horizon's ?

I think they are trying to coat it that way, but it's really just deceptive advertising by using the term "Unlimited" and "Any"

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

"Any theater, any* movie, any day"

*for certain values of "any"

:ph34r: also, plenty of people in that thread pointing out that it isn't any theater either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YLF said:

Thats true. Also, I heard of people using MP to go to premium showings for movies. They would just pay the remaining balance with is not allowed according to MP. So it prob helps with that too. The thing is I've heard of people sending in pics... and its fine then the app asks them again for the same ticket stub a week later. So, they end up getting banned bc they didnt have the stub anymore.

Guess I better start hanging onto my stubs after I see a movie, just in case, haha.

Moviepass filing shows it had only 15 million dollars left on April 30th.  It has been spending ~21-22million per month (pre-summer) and now it is headed into a nightmare.  They will be selling millions of shares of their stock daily to try and stay afloat.  Not gonna work.  Stock down 30% today to $1.50. this stock hit $40 less than a year ago....death spiral well underway.  Would certainly NOT get any passes beyond one month at this point...

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 12:50 PM, YLF said:

It asks for your stub a week after the showing?

Thats kind of ridiculous lol.  MP sounds like a mess.

1 hour ago, Rumpot said:

Moviepass filing shows it had only 15 million dollars left on April 30th.  It has been spending ~21-22million per month (pre-summer) and now it is headed into a nightmare.  They will be selling millions of shares of their stock daily to try and stay afloat.  Not gonna work.  Stock down 30% today to $1.50. this stock hit $40 less than a year ago....death spiral well underway.  Would certainly NOT get any passes beyond one month at this point...

Link - https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-05-08/moviepass-owner-s-cash-runs-low-as-9-95-monthly-deal-takes-toll?__twitter_impression=true