FlashMaster659

Monday #s - TLJ 21.6M

Posted this in buzz thread, but look for a big COCO theater drop...somehow, my discount theater got it BEFORE Thor, Wonder, and JL (they are also getting The Star and Bad Mom's Christmas, and got MOE and DH2 last Friday), and will have it starting tomorrow...will kill my local area screens and full price dollars for the movie...not sure how and why a discount theater got this is less than 4 weeks, knowing how strict Disney is, but they did...

14 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

According to imdb, more than 31.000 users gave The Last Jedi a 10/10, which is hilarious.

According to imdb, 7900 users gave it a 1/10, which is also hilarious.

If there are bots, obviously there are more bots that gave it a 10 than bots who are downvoting it. 

Ask yourself which is more likely a trolling operation. A high quality high budget film critically acclaimed film getting 10/10 from people or that same film getting 1's.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KeithF1138 said:

Ask yourself which is more likely a trolling operation. A high quality high budget film critically acclaimed film getting 10/10 from people or that same film getting 1's.

IMDB is full of people who vote without watching. So I would say both are likely in this case. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sand-omJC said:

Not gonna lie. 21.5 feels disappointing. But it makes sense, and Tues will probably see a nice jump. I guess it's really a waiting game now till the weekend to see how TLJ fairs over Christmas Eve, and Christmas.

Agreed though a lot depends on schools and stuff. This time of the year and what days holidays fall on is not comparable to TFA's. 

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Online votings in general mean jack shit. On IMDb the cinematic masterpiece known as Suicide Squad has a 6,1. Thats like 6,1 points too high :sparta:

On the contrary That’s 1.9 points too low.

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, KeithF1138 said:

You fail to see the point that both sides have trolls, and that means bots ( if they really exist ) are from both sides. It goes both ways.

BVS was already at 9.1 during the day of its release. That means people were giving tons of 10, and obviously the movie is not a 10/10 movie. This happens to every movie. Then the score dropped a lot after the movie got released.

It's not a big deal. You can't be biased. I didn't love the movie, so I won't pretend that everyone who loved it, is a bot. The same case applies to those who loved it. Just because people hated it ( there are people who hated ), that doesn't mean they're trolls or bots.

By the way, the average critic score on RT is 8.2/10, which is far away from the 31.000 10 grades this movie got on imdb, lol. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

$24m seems like a good target for Tuesday. Anything above that would be awesome. Rogue One was flat on the first Tuesday, so $21-22m for Last Jedi would be good too. 

21-22 would not be good for Tuesday going by Mon drop (probably due to being a day or two away from 'holidays' than RO) and the increasing use of Disc Tuesdays. 4-5% bump from 21.5 gives 22.4-22.6. So around 22.5 should at least happen (am guessing a better 6-7% bump).

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Online votings in general mean jack shit. On IMDb the cinematic masterpiece known as Suicide Squad has a 6,1. Thats like 6,1 points too high :sparta:

Oscar winning Suicide Squad.

You may not like the film, but it officially has great hair. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

21-22 would not be good for Tuesday going by Mon drop (probably due to being a day or two away from 'holidays' than RO) and the increasing use of Disc Tuesdays. 4-5% bump from 21.5 gives 22.4-22.6. So around 22.5 should at least happen (am guessing a better 6-7% bump).

21-22 would be good. Everything the movie does is just icing on the cake. Only a question of how much icing. Next Tuesday wil probably be over $25m judging by Rogue One’s second Tuesday. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/nonopening.htm?page=Tue&p=.htm

15 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

21-22 would be good. Everything the movie does is just icing on the cake. Only a question of how much icing. Next Tuesday wil probably be over $25m judging by Rogue One’s second Tuesday. 

i think it goes without saying that from now on if we use the words 'good' and 'bad' it just implies if the daily drops are better than expected or worse than expected :). hardly anyone would call a 220 dec opener 'bad' in the literal sense. i guess we disagree if 0% Tuesday bump in this frame matches expectations are not.

Edited by a2knet

23 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I'd be surprised if it does less than $35m next Tuesday. The corresponding day would be RO's Monday, which did $32m.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

It has always struck me as odd people bringing the amount of 1s but never the 10s to discredit online ratings for fanboy movies. I just looked up TLJ voting distribution and 22% voted it a 10 and only 5% voted it a 1 (just a 8k out of 150k). Who's exactly rigging the average? The people who liked it or the ones who disliked it?

Not that IMDB means anything as far as real life wom is concerned.

• Like 5

Daily Domestic Chart for Monday December 18th, 2017

← Previous Chart Chart Index  

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- (8) The Disaster Artist A24 $461,756 -46% 1,010 $457   $13,474,124 18
- (10) Lady Bird A24 $328,421 -50% 947 $347   $26,297,049 46
- (-) The Florida Project A24 $7,069 -61% 66 $107   $5,138,369 74
- (-) The Killing of a Sacred Deer A24 $3,772 +1% 23 $164   $2,277,071 60

IMDB is more used if a person is wanting to a buy a film after release or watch it online (illegally) or netflix VOD.

That is where an IMDB rating has an effect on the audience. 

I see something like the Mountain between us and see it is a low 6 rating and give it a pass as a result. 

5 minutes ago, Elessar said:

I'd be surprised if it does less than $35m next Tuesday. The corresponding day would be RO's Monday, which did $32m.

Last year Christmas Day was Sunday, so Monday was effectively an observed holiday for many employees. This year Christmas Day is Monday. I would think fewer people will be off work on the 26th this year, but Discount Tuesday helps. 

• Like 2