AniNate

SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge Out of Water | Paul Tibbitt | Feb. 6, 2015 | First Trailer on Page 9

Most of the advertising is rather misleading as well. Almost every movie trailer and TV commercial shows the 3D CG characters exclusively, so you think the entire movie is in this format. That’s not the case. Only the last 15 or 20 minutes of the movie features the CG animation. Even my youngest son commented on this as we left the theater. It almost feels like the footage was created for a 3D ride at Universal Studios, but that’s not the case.

Interesting.

Link for the CS review: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/reviews/405551-the-spongebob-movie-sponge-out-of-water-review#/slide/1

• Like 1

Currently at 80% on Rotten Tomatoes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_spongebob_movie_sponge_out_of_water/

The Guardian:

This is primarily an exercise in hyperactivity meant to spark glee in kids and draw chuckles from adults. The effect is admittedly ephemeral, yet while the film is running it is altogether effective.

The Wrap:

You certainly don't have to be a fan of the show to find yourself enchanted by the goofball humor.

Hollywood Reporter:

While it has plenty of zany moments, SpongeBob's second feature outing proves less absorbing than the first.

Variety:

At times there's a genuine sense of daring to the film's freewheeling anarchy, its refusal to stick to a central theme or impart any sort of lesson.

Sequel The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water is expected to soak up plenty of business in its North America debut, as well as steal the top perch from Clint Eastwood's blockbuster American Sniper.

Box office pundits expect the $66 million film, based on the wildly popular Nickelodeon TV series, to open in the $35 million to $40 million range (there's some who believe it will do more)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-preview-spongebob-set-767764

The great reviews plus my childhood memories of SpongeBob really, REALLY make me want to see this.

I'm not sure whether I want to watch this or Jupiter Ascending this weekend. If I DO end up seeing this, it'll be with my best friend, who's a big SpongeBob fan.

I have friends coming over this weekend who we've known for over 12 years and we used to be obsessed with SpongeBob. My "squad" if you will :P so there's a chance we may see this.

But my other friend is also in town this weekend, and my "in-town" friends want to get together and see Jupiter...

• Like 1