AniNate

SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge Out of Water | Paul Tibbitt | Feb. 6, 2015 | First Trailer on Page 9

Theres apparently a couple Kubrick references in this lol. And TGTBATU, and some meta and 4th wall jokes. Should have a little something for the parents.

Yeah there's a 4th wall joke in the trailer, "All secondary characters come with me"

• Like 2

I wonder why Paramount pushed the CG Spongebob and co in the marketing when the CG/live action only takes up a small part of the film. Where they afraid that having traditional animation featured more heavily would harm the film's chances?

A $42-48 million OW would be pretty great. And unlike the first, this will have some time to develop legs/WOM. Thinking a 3x at a minimum. 3.75x at a maximum. 

I'd love it if SpongeBob got $140-160 million DOM total. 

Not to mention, the budget is only $66m so it doesn't need to do huge numbers to be successful. It'll be cool to see a mostly traditional animated film do well at the box office and would be a good start for Paramount Animation

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 2

Spongebob is now the #1 pre-seller on Movie Tickets, above 50 Shades. It's at 31.5%. JA is still at 8%. Sponge is also at 76% on RT with over 40 reviews so it should be getting certified fresh soon. It better be getting certified fresh soon. Twitter talk has also been positive since last night.

Now, we wait.

• Like 2

Spongebob is now the #1 pre-seller on Movie Tickets, above 50 Shades. It's at 31.5%. JA is still at 8%. Sponge is also at 76% on RT with over 40 reviews so it should be getting certified fresh soon. It better be getting certified fresh soon. Twitter talk has also been positive since last night.

Now, we wait.

If it's selling more tickets than 50 Shades, I think $40 million is almost certain. Especially since Shades could get an insane $130-150 million 4 day

I'd love if SpongeBob 2 did:

$13.5 million

$22 million

$15 million

$50.5 million 3 day

Not very likely, but over $50 million is a victory

$1.4M midnights. I dont what that means, but it looks good for a Feburary family film.

With that number and the fact that kids don't tend to go to midnight screenings due to school, I imagine an opening weekend around 30 and 40m is likely. 

• Like 1

LOL pages 6-12 was a complete disaster. Talk about premature.  :lol:

This will definately increase overseas no doubt. As far as domestic, its harder because Spongebobs popularity wont be certain in 2014. Right now ill just say 42M OW/ 105-130M domestic.

Always had faith.

I feel like I've typed this 10 times, but yes. Spongebob is still the #1 cartoon on cable, even though it's 16 years old. It's the #1 show on Nickelodeon, which is the #1 overall basic cable network since 1995. Yes Nickelodeon still beats AMC and TBS and TNT and MTV, etc. When you factor in primtime and daytime, Spongebob is the #1 show on cable period. In 2009, he was accounting for as much as 30 of the top 100 shows of the week. Spongebob's international popularity has also grown, which is one of the main reasons they're making this movie. Spongebob is usually the only cartoon in the top of cable, and alot of the episodes are just reruns. Spongebob still pulls double the ratings of Phineas and Ferb, Adventure Time, and even Family Guy and The Simpsons, which are on broadcast, are starting to fall to and behind Spongebob's levels. If FG and Simpsons keep falling the way they are and Spongebob stays steady, Spongebob will soon be the #1 cartoon on TV period.

A lot of older fans don't like the current episodes, but Spongebob has been able to span 2 generations and is now doing great by younger kids. I don't watch the new episodes, but I make sure to catch the old ones when theyre on. Older fans now are quick to say "nobody likes Spongebob" just because they don't like it anymore and don't think it's funny. It's that elitism, but ratings are better in 2012 than they were in 2002, so...Merchandise sales for Spongebob in 2002 were $500 million. In 2009, 5 years ago, it was $8 billion. There were 75 licenses in 2002, and 700 by 2009. That's not counting the ad revenue for Nickelodeon either. 

So yes, Spongebob has gained popularity since the first movie. He's done things like hit the bell at the NYSE, he just got his own Toyota Highlander, just got his own statue in 12 countries, has his own star on the HWoF, a Pacific mushroom was named after him, and became the first animated wax figure at Madame Tussade's worldwide, has his own Nascar, among other things. Japan has also embraced him the same way they embraced Frozen because of his cuteness. He's more popular with Japanese women than with children. And he was a defacto mascot in the 2011 Egyptian Revolution. Weird, but true. Last year, the show was ranked 12th in "top 25 animated series for adults", and the show and the character are on several top 10 all time lists made in the past few years. 

Now does this mean gangbusters BO and totals over Frozen? No, but hopefully thisll end the tired "is he still popular" questions.

And i was passionate.

• Like 2