AniNate

SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge Out of Water | Paul Tibbitt | Feb. 6, 2015 | First Trailer on Page 9

At first I was like "WTF" when I saw this trailer and then I realised that it's pretty true to... well... everything about Spongebob except for the animation.  I generally really dislike when things go the "3D animated cartoon characters brought into the real world" route (ie: Smurfs) but Spongebob Squarepants is one of the few properties where I think the zany style of the show actually works well with that premise. 

I don't plan to see it in theatres myself but I might give it a watch on DVD.

• Like 2

Y'know, I'm mixed on the character designs, but I feel like the only one who enjoys the live-action sequences. I think they're just as funny as the animated segments. They both have the same wit and charm the series always had. Seems people only hate the live-action because "ZOMG CG DESTROY MOVIE!!!!1" Of course I'm the only person on the Internet who likes modern Spongebob (I know, I know), so probably take my words for a grain of salt.

• Like 1

Well looks like Paramount has gotten complacent. Since they know we all know who Spongebob is, theyre not bothering to market the movie. Im seeing no tv ads, no products or tie-ins at the store, no hype. I obviously want this to do well, but weve seen time and time again that you cant assume the audience will show up becasue of who it is, you still have to sell it to them.

They shouldve been rolling out spot after spot since Thanksgiving and got a butt losd of tie in deals, but oh well. Hoping this can mamahe $100M. Spongebob by far has the fanbase, but that doesnt mean theyll automatically show. Oh, Paramount.

• Like 2