grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I hope the 2nd weekend drop is higher than BVS just for future discussion weapon, but I didn't see The Last Jedi yet and have no reason to hate it, I hope it does well overall.

The MOUSE isn't big enough of a reason??

The mouse cares little of quality, the mouse will add childrens humour to your favourite ip for a dollar. The mouse is coming for Avatar but Jim most stand strong. If Jim can't no one can, it's a landmark battle fir directors.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

The goalposts keep being moved though. You would think the Friday jump would have been much higher than RO to make up for the worse drops during the week, not just equal it. When do we all start admitting the word of mouth on this is mixed?

This.

WoM is very mixed, and I think Disney is looking at this very closely as well, thinking of ways to improve the next film. Like how they saved Thor.

But fans... need to wake up and stop patting each other's back and keep pretending that the numbers are good and that the WoM is great. 

• Like 6

On 12/22/2017 at 8:11 AM, MattW said:

Rogue One as a percentage of TLJ

Th: 64.44

Fri: 70.53

Sat: 72.37

Sun: 73.41

Mon: 81.59

Tue: 86.81

Wed: 88.63

Thu: 92.65 (using 18.1)

If it stabilizes at about 10% ahead of Rogue One from here on out TLJ would make another 345m for a total of 642m.  

If 15% that's another 365 for a total of 662.  

20% - $685m

25% - $710m

Getting back up to 25% ahead of Rogue One seems optimistic considering none of the weekdays have been that far ahead, but Sunday was so I suppose it's possible.  

Friday: 92.62  right in line with Thursday's ratio

The week of New Year's should be significantly better than R1, but I'm not so sure Christmas week will be.  

Edited by MattW
nvm

1 minute ago, DARth DAR said:

People are certainly allowed to be disappointed with a film that's going to finish in the top 5 all time.  Myself I don't roll that way

Top 2 was on lock a week ago, the goal posts have wheels folks!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

But fans... need to wake up and stop patting each other's back and keep pretending that the numbers are good and that the WoM is great. 

But i am still allowed to like this movie better than TFA, right ?

• Disbelief 1

Also want to say that the numbers for TLJ are huge in a vacuum. The movie is already a huge success. That's obvious. But that's a different discussion from the drops and WOM. I'm just saying this so that whenever some of us are being hard on TLJ for its drops or whatever we don't get the usual "Can't believe people are disappointed in a movie that grossed $220M in its opening weekend and will probably end as the 3rd highest grossing film domestic" type posts. It's like, I'm well aware. It's a separate discussion.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

This.

WoM is very mixed, and I think Disney is looking at this very closely as well, thinking of ways to improve the next film. Like how they saved Thor.

Disney doesn’t care what a minority of hardcore nerds on the interwebz thinks. Rave reviews and good word of mouth is what matters. 

And comparisons to Thor 2 are hilarious. TLJ’s opening weekend alone outgrossed the entirety of the domestic total for Thor 2. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sam said:

Except for its Opening Weekend, TLJ dailies numbers keep going down from estimates since Monday. Not an encouraging trend.  

When they're reading the numbers they have presales already locked in and they're guessing at what the walkups will be for the rest of the day compared to similar movies.  So I think walkups are lower relative to presales when comparing with Rogue One and TFA

IMO indicating word of mouth isn't the best

• Like 3