grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

4 minutes ago, REC said:

TFA rekindled that hope that SW can be a good fun adventure again, and TLJ took it away, again.  So I've developed a new rule.  I'm not seeing any more star wars movies until I've gotten a complete breakdown of the story.  And if I don't like what they've written, I won't see it.

soooo you only will like star wars if it goes the exact way you want it to? that is by far the most absurd thing I have ever read.

Edited by NoLegMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

It will be interesting to see how Han Solo is affected by this. 

It will be hard to measure.

Some will say 90 m OW and 240 m DOM is proof that TLJ killed SW but I would've said those numbers were inevitable being that Han Solo is a SW movie nobody asked for, had production issues and has some D-lister doing a Harrison Ford impersonation for 2 hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I almost have to wonder if Disney did realize TLJ was going to be divisive and just tried to divert with all the pre-release comments about how incredibly pleased and assured they were in it. Maybe that’s the real reason for Trevorrows axing and bringing back Abrams. They knew they were going to need another crowd pleaser like TFA after this movie.

Then why give Rian Johnson a trilogy?

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, NoLegMan said:

Alright, guys chill out, I know you aren't calling TLJ a flop, but some of these comments almost give that impression. It didn't perform like Disney wanted, but please stop acting like it's the end of a franchise. It's getting worse than Forbes in here. 

If people want to say that it has generally mixed WOM that’s fine but all these blanket statements about toxic/bad WOM are a little hyperbolic. Negative voices always speak louder than the positive 

Just now, NoLegMan said:

soooo you only will only like star wars if it goes the exact way you want it to? that is by far the most absurd thing I have ever read.

No that's not what I'm saying.  But I do need things to work and make sense, have good character consistency and good internal logic.  I'm all for creativity and new directions, that's what made Empire so great because it did exactly that relative to A new hope.  My hope with TLJ was that they would do that and show me something new since TFA was such a safe bet.

4 minutes ago, REC said:

No that's not what I'm saying.  But I do need things to work and make sense, have good character consistency and good internal logic.  I'm all for creativity and new directions, that's what made Empire so great because it did exactly that relative to A new hope.  My hope with TLJ was that they would do that and show me something new since TFA was such a safe bet.

It's all about execution.

How stupid and worthless would ROTJ sound on paper?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, REC said:

obviously, you don't want something new. but I've said my part, it's whatever.

Weekend Projections Including Friday Estimates for Jumanji and TLJ

Star Wars:

19.1m (-2%) / 483.8m

20.5m (+7.5%) / 504.3m

13.8m (-32.5%) / 518.1m 

17.2m (+25%) / 535.3m

$53.4m Weekend / $70.6m 4 day Weekend

---------------------------------------------------

Jumanji:

17.8m (+18%) / 137m

20m (+12.5%) / 157m

13.8m (-31%) / 170.8m

16.6m (+20%) / 187.4m

$51.6m Weekend / $68.2m 4 day Weekend

---------------------------------------------------
Just Realised there will be two movies over $50m+ in 1 weekend which hasn't happened since Jurassic World & Inside Out in 2015!:D

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I almost have to wonder if Disney did realize TLJ was going to be divisive and just tried to divert with all the pre-release comments about how incredibly pleased and assured they were in it. Maybe that’s the real reason for Trevorrows axing and bringing back Abrams. They knew they were going to need another crowd pleaser like TFA after this movie.

Trevorrow directed a huge crowd pleaser in Jurassic World. But Abrams is a safer bet since he already delivered a crowd pleasing Star Wars movie. 

13 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

why are they choosing Jumanji over Star Wars, both qualify as family films?

2 hours vs. 2 hours 30 minutes is a huge reason.  The fact that anyone can walk into Jumanji and know what is going on without having seen a single other movie is also a factor.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don't think an increase is out of the question for it either though. It will depend on marketing and if it can really please the fanbase at large like TFA did. That will be paramount after TLJ, and obviously not at all easy now. 

One thing that could help is the time and distance it’ll have from when Solo comes out. It’ll be about a year and a half after that movie so it’ll give them some time to properly market 9 to the masses. 

If it does increase I don’t think it’ll be by much. Maybe low 700s at the most. If it does drop I don’t think it’ll be by much either. 

• Like 2