the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

Just now, TheForceuser707 said:

First of all Miss, I'm a lot older than you and clearly better mannered. You don't address a stranger with such impertinence. But I'll allow it since the moderators here are slack.

You say TLJ had $200M production costs. Please offer a figure for its marketing and distribution costs. As you know those are separate and additional expenses.

In some cases these expenses are double the production costs, especially on globally distributed movies like this one. I've heard TLJ had total costs as high as $800M+. I've also heard that as a rule of thumb movies aim to make three times their production costs in order to break even.

So. Assuming that figure is correct: $800M, TLJ hasn't broken even yet. This of course based upon the studios recouping in this case 65% of the North American gross and far less of the overseas revenues.

Please take your time before you attempt to respond.

Thanks.

First of all Child, I'm actually a dude (I don't blame you for thinking otherwise due to my avatar, I get it, but you think wrong), and I address you however I so want to, Child. I don't care if you're better mannered than me, cause you're certainly a lot less truthful.

Second, the estimated figure for production budget is, as reported here, 200 million. And a movie's marketing campaign normally costs the same or more as its production budget; for a film with as much awareness as Star Wars, Disney probably did just 2x; so 400M would be the final P&A-included budget for The Last Jedi. The film passed the velvet rope of being successful by doubling the P&A-fueled budget already. It would've done that even if the marketing cost 250M rather than 200. And if the break even point is to triple your production budget, Star Wars is gonna do just that... from America alone.

IF the budget is adjusted to, say, 250M, it would still be 500-550M in total costs. And even if we up TLJ's budget to the absolute max possible - using The Force Awakens' 300M production and a scenario of 350M marketing for 650M combined costs, TLJ would still make a theatrical profit by doubling the P&A-fueled cost when it makes 1.3B WW. Nevermind the fact that it did triple that "worst case scenario" number of 300M when it made 900M WW. TLJ is a success, no matter how you spin it.

Please take your time before you pretend like you know what you're talking about.

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, narniadis said:

Technically speaking the phrase is "from a turnip"..... 

But since it is apparently hollow up there for you i wouldn't expect anything else from you.... 

My friend could you cease these silly barbs of yours? 

I happen to be British. That's how we say it. Look it up.

And you don't know me so stop making silly comments as if you do. 

Fucking remarkable... the level of self delusion on display in this place.

Couple stray thoughts:

1. Why would anyone ignore anyone? You’d miss so much Drama. :popcorn:  

2. I think someone needs to migrate over to tumblr. They’re salty AF about TLJ. Or, to quote another Disney Classic, maybe:

tumblr_okvttkfxi81qk8j8do1_500.gif

3. @IronJimbo made a great point I can’t find (sorry) about success v disappointment. The Last Jedi is a box office success, even if people find it creatively disappointing, or think it should make more money.  Disney is also more than a Movie Studio. Here we want to focus just on box office. With BIG franchise IPs, it is often more than just the box office run. How much are they making off of merchandise and toys is undoubtably just as important to them as how many tickets they’re selling. 

3. The storm majorly effed up my predictions, darn. I underestimated everything, because I thought folks would still be shoveling out. 

4. We are off to either Molly’s Game or Three Billboards, but can’t decide. Any perference for those who have seen them?

5. Yes to Hamilton being the best show of the 21st Century. 

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Technically speaking the phrase is "from a turnip"..... 

But since it is apparently hollow up there for you i wouldn't expect anything else from you.... 

Forget it he’s rolling

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

First of all Child, I'm actually a dude (I don't blame you for thinking otherwise due to my avatar, I get it, but you think wrong), and I address you however I so want to, Child. I don't care if you're better mannered than me, cause you're certainly a lot less truthful.

Second, the estimated figure for production budget is, as reported here, 200 million. And a movie's marketing campaign normally costs the same or more as its production budget; for a film with as much awareness as Star Wars, Disney probably did just 2x; so 400M would be the final P&A-included budget for The Last Jedi. The film passed the velvet rope of being successful by doubling the P&A-fueled budget already. It would've done that even if the marketing cost 250M rather than 200. And if the break even point is to triple your production budget, Star Wars is gonna do just that... from America alone.

IF the budget is adjusted to, say, 250M, it would still be 500-550M in total costs. And even if we up TLJ's budget to the absolute max possible - using The Force Awakens' 300M production and a scenario of 350M marketing for 650M combined costs, TLJ would still make a theatrical profit by doubling the P&A-fueled cost when it makes 1.3B WW. Nevermind the fact that it did triple that "worst case scenario" number of 300M when it made 900M WW. TLJ is a success, no matter how you spin it.

Please take your time before you pretend like you know what you're talking about.

Thanks.

That's even worse.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

just like there are different types of costs, aren't there different types of revenue streams. have you even considered non theatrical revenue? that is why people use 2.5-3x the production costs, not 2.5-3x the 800+ 'i have heard' number.

Yeah, deadline estimated TFA's total costs at 775m and total revenues at 1560m, rogue one 515 and 835 respectively. That's including all post theatrical costs and revenues as well.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/star-wars-the-force-awakens-movie-profit-2015-lucasfilm-disney-1201726142/

http://deadline.com/2017/04/rogue-one-box-office-profit-2016-1202054697/

(Though I think they're underestimating theatrical revenues given what we know about Disney taking 65% of domestic box office)

• Like 1