MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates per DHD (p.15): J 19.75M, 12S 15.3M, DoT 14.7M, TP 12.1M, TGS 11.1M, P2 8.3M, TC 6.8M, TLJ 6.5M, I:TLK 5.9M, FMG 4.3M

The soundtrack for The Greatest Showman has captured the zeitgeist in a way that no film soundtrack has done since Frozen. Add to that the movie's crossover appeal to multiple demos and it's really not much of a surprise it's becoming such a smash.

• Like 5

Match the 2018 movie to its acronym.  Will like 20 posts of the first person who can name them all!!

FB:TCOG

HT3:SV

THWACIIW

FFF

MQOS

RBTI:WIR2

TGITSW

AMATW

S

BP

MM:HWGA

SITS

SSSS

S2S

DWHWGFOF

TTGTTM

RPO

TNATFR

TSWDM

12S:TUSOTHS

GND2:ALITD

W:THTGB

CRA

3 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

I care

Agree but, unfortunately, a lot of people don’t really care. I have no plans to ever watch it. 

I see what you did there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Ehhh...thats way too far for me. Im big on animal rights and im very happy that circuses are mostly a thing of the past today, but the industrial killing of 6 Million innocent people cant be compared to even the worst things circuses have ever done.

Dont want to derail the thread with this though.

Agreed that comparing animals to the holocaust is wrong, but barnum had significant human rights violations too, considering he got his start by buying a black woman as a slave after slavery had already been abolished.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sal said:

Agreed that comparing animals to the holocaust is wrong, but barnum had significant human rights violations too, considering he got his start by buying a black woman as a slave after slavery had already been abolished.

It's interesting that some are so hung up on the animal aspect, when it's Barnum's treatment of humans the film is actually romanticizing. He was extremely exploitative of the so called "freaks" of his show, and it certainly wasn't him giving them some warm, loving safe haven. I would say they should have just used fictional character names, but I honestly do think it's better this way. The characters' names change nothing about the film itself and the good messages it has, however using a fictional name would have changed the awareness the film is bringing to Barnum and who he was in real life. Making a historically accurate biopic about him would have also been the wrong way to go, because that story would have been box office poison and again there would be no awareness being brought to him. As I've said, TGS is a win all around as far as I'm concerned. The filmmakers got to make a true crowd pleaser, and the film's success has ended up bringing a ton of awareness to a less than noble historical figure. 

And I really don't care what anyone personally thinks of the film, its box office run in 2018 is exciting and impressive as all fuck. And I would be saying that even if it was a film I hated. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, New Year New Panda said:

Match the 2018 movie to its acronym.  Will like 20 posts of the first person who can name them all!!

FB:TCOG    Fantastic Beasts:The Crimes of Grindelwald

HT3:SV    Hotel Transylvania 3:Summer Vacation

THWACIIW   The House With A Clock In Its Walls

FFF      hoping you meant FSF Fifty Shades Freed or FYF Finding Your Feet

MQOS           Mary, Queen of Scots

RBTI:WIR2     Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck It Ralph 2

TGITSW     The Girl In The Spider's Web

AMATW     Ant-Man And The Wasp

S   Spiral, Skyscraper, Scarface, Smallfoot, among others

BP      Black Panther

MM:HWGA      Mamma Mia:Here We Go Again

SITS    Spiderman Into The Spider-verse

SSSS     found SSS Sanpo Suru Shinryakusha

S2S    Sicario 2: Soldado

DWHWGFOF       Don't Worry He Won't Get Far on Foot

TTGTTM      Teen Titans Go! To The Movies 

RPO     Ready Player One

TNATFR   The Nutcracker and the Four Realms

TSWDM   The Spy Who Dumped Me

12S:TUSOTHS    12 Strong ?

GND2:ALITD    God's Not Dead2:A Light In The Darkness

W:THTGB    Winchester:The House That Ghosts Built

CRA      Crazy Rich Asians

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

46 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Insidious passed $100m worldwide in 3 weeks. It cost $10m.

People wonder “why are they making Saw 9?” Eh, because Jigsaw just made 10x it’s production budget. (Despite the film not being great).

$$$

I didn't even think it was gonna make 100M worldwide at all. Maybe come close (around the 90M's range), but not make it.... nevermind pull the likely feat of actually being the 2nd highest grossing Insidious film both DOM and WW.

The powah of James Wan, w/all of the franchises he's created. Between this, Jigsaw and everything Conjuring related.... he's basically this generation's God of horror. Well, him and Jason Blum.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I didn't even think it was gonna make 100M worldwide at all. Maybe come close (around the 90M's range), but not make it.... nevermind pull the likely feat of actually being the 2nd highest grossing Insidious film both DOM and WW.

The powah of James Wan, w/all of the franchises he's created. Between this, Jigsaw and everything Conjuring related.... he's basically this generation's God of horror. Well, him and Jason Blum.

Yeh definitely Blum and Wan.

I also loved that Insidious was lead by a 74 year old actress. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

The soundtrack for The Greatest Showman has captured the zeitgeist in a way that no film soundtrack has done since Frozen. Add to that the movie's crossover appeal to multiple demos and it's really not much of a surprise it's becoming such a smash.

I never understood, why they stopped using music to promote movies. 

Adeles Skyfall was worth a couple of 100 millions of the WW Gross of the movie and still, nobody bothers to sell a movie with music today. 

Also, most movies on the All-Time-List have a soundtrack, that's part of Pop Culture now.

In my opinion,l it's a cheap way to create buzz.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I never understood, why they stopped using music to promote movies. 

Adeles Skyfall was worth a couple of 100 millions of the WW Gross of the movie and still, nobody bothers to sell a movie with music today. 

Also, most movies on the All-Time-List have a soundtrack, that's part of Pop Culture now.

In my opinion,l it's a cheap way to create buzz.

I don’t think paying for Adele to write and sing your films theme song is in anyway “cheap”. 

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Insidious passed $100m worldwide in 3 weeks. It cost $10m.

People wonder “why are they making Saw 9?” Eh, because Jigsaw just made 10x it’s production budget. (Despite the film not being great).

$$$

It's not the usual low production budget with horror in comparison to B.O. that determines if they want to make a sequel - it's how much they spend on P&A.  Domestically the avg wide release horror film has a P&A spend of $30-40m.