Eric Duncan

Jumanji: The Next Level l Sony l December 13, 2019 l 10th Most Profitable Movie of 2019

This movie's predecessor and The Greatest Showman opened on the same day two years ago and the former made more than double the latter (which itself still ended up making an insane amount of money) and yet the latter seems to have lasted in the public conscious longer (the power of a catchy soundtrack, probably). If a sequel to The Greatest Showman had been put on the fast track to a Holiday 2019 release I bet the audience retention for it would've been a whole lot better than what this is looking to see.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:00 PM, Arendelle Legion said:

I think it could go a lot lower if the reception was medium-bad.     

180 DOM  (36*5 or 40*4.5, something to that effect with current tracking, presale, and calendar should be quite possible if not even lower)

50 China  (POTUS currently saying 35-40 for OW, give it some weak PS growth and bad Maoyan for 30*1.67 or so)

220 OS-C (same DOM:OS-C ratio as you have)   

I hope this doesn’t turn out prophetic, but so far the China portion at least is very on point. Even an overestimate. And DOM still looks reasonable to me as well as the DOM:OS-C ratio 😬

1 minute ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I hope this doesn’t turn out prophetic, but so far the China portion at least is very on point. Even an overestimate. And DOM still looks reasonable to me as well as the DOM:OS-C ratio 😬

Gimme 165/490 ww

Jumanji is going to definitely make use of the 400m curse unlike Frozen and Catching Fire, proving once again that the exception is not the rule. 

Just didnt expect to go into the week before release doubting 250m. Hopefully stateside we are wrong and its still big because the Christmas season itself seems bland overall with people worried about J2 and Sw9 eating everything. 

12 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Jumanji is going to definitely make use of the 400m curse unlike Frozen and Catching Fire, proving once again that the exception is not the rule. 

Just didnt expect to go into the week before release doubting 250m. Hopefully stateside we are wrong and its still big because the Christmas season itself seems bland overall with people worried about J2 and Sw9 eating everything. 

It's actually a competitive Christmas for family dollars tbh. Not only this and Star Wars but also Spies in Disguise, Cats, Little Women (the latter two will act as family movies on some level given their PG ratings and musical/family-friendly natures), and even Frozen still hanging around. Luckily this is the time of year that can accommodate multiple movies aiming for similar audiences.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

This movie's predecessor and The Greatest Showman opened on the same day two years ago and the former made more than double the latter (which itself still ended up making an insane amount of money) and yet the latter seems to have lasted in the public conscious longer (the power of a catchy soundtrack, probably). If a sequel to The Greatest Showman had been put on the fast track to a Holiday 2019 release I bet the audience retention for it would've been a whole lot better than what this is looking to see.

Far easier to have a bette retention when you're dealing with a $175m hit instead of a $400m+ smash hit. 

33 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

What is it with some people positively drooling at the idea that J3 will bomb, and...

That's based on what?

China performance for one - its going to be lucky to get to J2's OW in total if it doesn't sprout unusual China legs, so lack of growth in the booming market and rather lack of growth / buzz and sales in every other capacity.

Still hoping it gets to 500m WW myself but unless something pops next week unlike what presales indicate (and tracking for that matter) its gonna behave more like It 2 than Guardians of the Galaxy 2

that all being said, 400m WW or less seems unfathomable, even with poor performances elsewhere.

• Like 1