Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

Ill watch the original Top Gun for the first time tomorrow. Guess if i want to see this new one, i shoud see the first beforehand lol.

I expect a lot of cheese, a lot of Tom Cruise and a lot of planes.

15 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Ill watch the original Top Gun for the first time tomorrow. Guess if i want to see this new one, i shoud see the first beforehand lol.

I rewatched it a few weeks back, honestly I felt that it held up surprisingly well. It’s undoubtedly cheesy, but if you can look past that and accept it as a product of its time, the story is actually pretty good. The flight scenes are still great too.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

It's Tony Scott so it looks fucking great. Dogfights are great. Extremely cheesy and over the top, but it's such an embodiment of the 80s that it's an enjoyable watch even if it doesn't make much sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I must admit I am not a big fan of the original. There were moments I enjoyed but the movie itself did not grip me that much. But if this is like MI kind of quality, I am super excited and I will see this in Dolby for sure. 

Craziest thing is that I'm not big on the first movie either. Tony Scott was one of our greatest directors, but that movie was never my favorite of his, it feels like a surface-level recruitment ad and the flight stuff is (dare I say this?) just okay. Maverick takes the one emotional access point the original had and makes it the entire story of this movie. It works as a far superior sequel, it works as a great standalone movie and it works as a celebration of late-era Cruise (not a coincidence that the core theme of this movie is arguably the same as MI - Fallout's). And the action is DIVINE. Shot and edited in a way that puts every tentpole to shame since... well, MI- Fallout! 

(good talking with you again man-- been a little while!)

• Like 7

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I must admit I am not a big fan of the original. There were moments I enjoyed but the movie itself did not grip me that much. But if this is like MI kind of quality, I am super excited and I will see this in Dolby for sure. 

Agreed on the original, but seems like this one steps it up from the first.

• Like 1

This movie has that certain feel to it.

I mean that in the sense that it could amount to a perfect storm. Gigantic breakouts for movies where expectations are big, but not huge, are very rare and the nature of movies like them (JW comes to mind) is that they obliterate any pre-release reasonable predictions and turn into zeitgeist events.

I get the feeling that this could fall into that category. Reviews will probably be raves judging by all the early reports we have. Top Gun also has a promise/concept that makes it completely unique compared to other big films in our current marketplace and it has an extremely bankable poster star with Tom Cruise.

I could be wrong and its certainly possible that my own hype for this movies box office run caught up with me. But i really do think that this could explode massively. To something like 150M+ 4-Day and 400M+ DOM. 

• Like 6

Hey everyone! Wonder if anyone remembers me. Been 3 years since my last post.

The social reactions for this seem to some of strongest I have seen in a while. Very interested to see its reception. Grace Randolph says reviews up on 9am EST Thursday/today.

• Like 7
  • Astonished 2

4 hours ago, eXtacy said:

Hey everyone! Wonder if anyone remembers me. Been 3 years since my last post.

The social reactions for this seem to some of strongest I have seen in a while. Very interested to see its reception. Grace Randolph says reviews up on 9am EST Thursday/today.

First @Eevin, then @Mulder and now you!

BOT community coming together again, after the dark years of Covid.

• Thanks 2