Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This was awesome and mixed age crowd went absolutely nuts when

Hide contents

Mav and Rooster found the classic F-14, Mav performed his infamous jet flip move and then rattled Cyclone

So much for "kids have never seen Top Gun". 

The bit where…

Spoiler

Maverick buzzed the tower near the end

Got a huge laugh at mine, the audience would only find that as funny as they did if they’d seen the original.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

The bit where…

Hide contents

Maverick buzzed the tower near the end

Got a huge laugh at mine, the audience would only find that as funny as they did if they’d seen the original.

Yep that got major laughs and cheers.

• Like 2

It was really good and so so satisfyingly crafted. While I don't think it's a masterpiece, it's one of those movies that is almost impossible to dislike. I also think it's smart they did the most to make it as apolitical as possible and they didn't went overboard with the nostalgia beats. Another huge win for Cruise and I would say an even bigger win for Kosinski. He has been on the cusp of becoming a major A-list director for a more than a decade and he's definately in after this. 

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 2

This was a ton of fun to watch, especially with an older, sellout crowd that went bananas at just about every big reference and callback. Definitely felt like “Avengers for boomers.”

I get why Paramount sat on this one as long as they did. As good as the film is in its own right, I can’t imagine it playing nearly the same way in the theatrical landscape we had a year ago. This is definitely an experience that benefits from having as big of a crowd as you can get.

9 hours ago, Cruel Summer said:

is that why Barry Seal bombed? or why Jack Reacher did mediocre? 

Go ahead and keep picking at the only negative box offices in Cruise's career.  Shitting on anything "bad" is seemingly the only thing you're here for. 

And if you want to get nitty-gritty, AMERICAN MADE cost $50-60 mil to make and grossed $135 million in theaters, that's roughly 2.5 times the budget, I would call that a base-level or under-performer, sure, but not a "bomb."  The movie was reviewed well.  And it unseated Nolan's DUNKIRK from the #1 spot in many countries when it opened across Europe.  

Jack Reacher 2 deserved to flop, it was a bad movie and wasn't designed as a "blockbuster" anyway.  I'll give you that one.  But the first movie is excellent.  

Anything positive to say about this extraordinary opening weekend and comeback for Cruise?  The highest-grossing opening weekend of Cruise's career?  The second-best opening weekend for Paramount?  Best Memorial Day weekend opening ever?

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 3

After seeing great late legs for sonic2 and TLC, I am wondering if paramount+ hit the optimal range number of subscribers base. A total number of subscribers that low enough not to cannibalise/discourage the moviegoing crowd, but still high enough to generate extra buzz and awareness back to their movie, thereby extending their theatrical run. Or, it was just total fluke because of low competition in the marketplace right now.

20 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

His screen time is a bit little for me. Wish to see him more and I seriously think he catches more attention that other members in the cast.

He certainly caught attention second/third only to Cruise and Teller. Part of the movie's bromance which is central to the plot.

saved Maverick and Rooster

Come to think of it, TGM is unquestionably first event movie since NWH. What do they have in common? Nostalgia done right and bromance that's central to the plot.  

Edited by Valonqar

It was a solid action movie and a cool throwback to the eighties. Watch it in a theater with the best possible sound to get the wow effect of a fighter jet engine. Maybe not quite the revelation that some reviews suggest, though. 7 / 10

I have to admit I did not see the pitch 

Spoiler

what if we did Top Gun + Star Wars?

coming. Works tho. It’s utterly absurd in all the right ways. My only complaint is it’s too long, but every movie feels like that today to me. 9/10.

• ...wtf 1

Great movie. Most fun I've had at the movies this year. Not quite a masterpiece as some reviews had been suggesting. By that I mean...it's much more of a sequel to the original in tone than the trailers indicated. Definitely some cheese here and there. And I was expecting better from Lady Gaga.