MaxAggressor

Weekend Thread | Estimates (per DHD) ~ MR:TDC 23M, J 15.8M, H 9.8M, TGS 9.3M, TP 8.7M, 12S/DoT 7.9M, TSOW 5.7M, P2 5.5M, TLJ 4M, TBOEM 3.6M

@Poe Blankeron how about some trailer stalkers?

7:

Annihilation (Blade Runner, The Foreigner, Happy Death Day, All the Money in the World, Downsizing, Molly’s Game, The Commuter)

5:

Fifty Shades Freed (Murder on the Orient Express, Lady Bird, All the Money in the World, Molly’s Game, I, Tonya)

Red Sparrow (Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Blade Runner 2049, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Commuter, I, Tonya)

4:

Alpha (Hitman’s Bodyguard, Geostorm, Thor: Ragnarok, Downsizing)

Black Panther (Valerian, The Dark Tower, Thor: Ragnarok, All the Money in the World)

Death Wish (Detroit, It, American Assassin, The Commuter)

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blade Runner, Geostorm, Thank You for Your Service, Thor: Ragnarok)

Ready Player One (It, Blade Runner 2049, Justice League, Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

3:

The 15:17 to Paris (Molly’s Game, The Commuter, I, Tonya)

Early Man (Coco, Wonder, The Greatest Showman)

Hostiles (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Lady Bird, I, Tonya)

Sherlock Gnomes (Coco, Wonder, The Greatest Showman)

Sicario 2: Soldado (All the Money in the World, Molly’s Game, The Commuter)

Winchester (Suburbicon, Molly’s Game, The Commuter)

A Wrinkle in Time (Valerian, Murder on the Orient Express, Coco)

2:

Avengers: Infinity War (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Downsizing)

Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool (All the Money in the World, Darkest Hour)

Game Night (Downsizing, I, Tonya)

Gringo (Molly’s Game, The Commuter)

I, Tonya (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, Darkest Hour)

Incredibles 2 (Coco, Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

Isle of Dogs (Ninjago, Downsizing)

Maze Runner: The Death Cure (Happy Death Day, Geostorm)

Peter Rabbit (Coco, The Greatest Showman)

Polaroid (Wind River, mother!)

A Quiet Place (Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Downsizing)

Tomb Raider (Geostorm, Justice League)

Untitled Deadpool Sequel (Justice League, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri)

1:

Spoiler

7 Days in Entebbe (Darkest Hour)

Acrimony (The Commuter)

Alita: Battle Angel (Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

Blockers (Downsizing)

The Current War (Wind River)

Duck Duck Goose (Ninjago)

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Star Wars: The Last Jedi)

Love, Simon (The Greatest Showman)

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (The Greatest Showman)

Mortal Engines (The Commuter)

The New Mutants (Thor: Ragnarok)

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms (The Greatest Showman)

Ocean’s 8 (The Greatest Showman)

The Party (Lady Bird)

Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero (Wonder)

Smallfoot (Coco)

Super Troopers 2 (Kingsman)

- So the best pic academy nod still gives a ~32% drop to THE POST while TGS drops only 6% without the nod.

- If numbers hold Juamnji will be 52 away from GOTG2 after a 16.5 weekend.

- TGS enters top-3 weekend for the 1st time.

- If TGS adds 4-5x the weekend more it gets to 167-177 dom. Needs to add 7x the weekend more for ~200.

Spoiler

Sony’s invincible Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle takes second place with an estimated $16.5M off a projected $3.9M Friday. Weekend 6 of the Jake Kasdan film is -15% with a running total by Sunday of $338M. If these figures hold, Jumanji becomes Sony’s third highest film at the domestic B.O. of all-time overtaking Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man 3 ($336.5M). Wow.

The Greatest Showman holding like a rock in its sixth weekend with $10M (-6%) in 3rd place and a running total by Sunday of $127M 

20th has the DreamWorks/Participant Oscar nominee The Post with $8M in weekend 6 and with a running cume by Sunday of $58M

http://deadline.com/2018/01/maze-runner-death-cure-weekend-box-office-1202269925/

Edited by a2knet

26 minutes ago, a2knet said:

- So the best pic academy nod still gives a ~32% drop to THE POST while TGS drops only 6% without the nod.

- If numbers hold Juamnji will be 52 away from GOTG2 after a 16.5 weekend.

- TGS enters top-3 weekend for the 1st time.

- If TGS adds 4-5x the weekend more it gets to 167-177 dom. Needs to add 7x the weekend more for ~200.

The Post isn't gonna see any bump at all from the Oscar noms, really. It only got 2 (which it has 0% chance of winning) and has already made more than any of the other ones still in theaters. The lower-grossing movies are usually the ones that reap the benefits.

• Like 1

Hostiles doing 8M doesn't seem that bad. I mean, it won't make back a 50M budget, but considering how bad the PTA's were initially and the general laughter at going this wide, it isn't doing as poorly as it could have. may have been thinking, he was still onto something in saying that it would be higher than a lot of expectations. While not the crazy high number @WrathOfHan may have been thinking, he was still onto something in saying that it would be higher than a lot of expectations.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hostiles doing 8M doesn't seem that bad. I mean, it won't make back a 50M budget, but considering how bad the PTA's were initially and the general laughter at going this wide, it isn't doing as poorly as it could have.

And considering movie like that tend to do nothing oversea, but yeah I agree at one point it was looking like it would do something like The Assassination of Jesse James ($3.9M) and it is now looking at maybe making $20M

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Hostiles doing 8M doesn't seem that bad. I mean, it won't make back a 50M budget, but considering how bad the PTA's were initially and the general laughter at going this wide, it isn't doing as poorly as it could have. may have been thinking, he was still onto something in saying that it would be higher than a lot of expectations. While not the crazy high number @WrathOfHan may have been thinking, he was still onto something in saying that it would be higher than a lot of expectations.

The distributor though was expecting $12m.   I know they didn't pay near $50m for the U.S. rights but what have they spent in P&A?

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The distributor though was expecting $12m.   I know they didn't pay near $50m for the U.S. rights but what have they spent in P&A?

Deadline was speaking about a planned low $15m back in the days of the acquisitions:

http://deadline.com/2017/10/hostiles-christian-bale-byron-allen-entertainment-studios-scott-cooper-rosamund-pike-ken-kao-oscar-season-launch-1202181081/

This deal took time to coalesce — the film reportedly carries a budget in the $50 million range, and word is this deal comes with a P&A commitment in the $15 million range. 

• Thanks 1

So how many more of TGS's weekends will beat it's ow? If numbers hold up and this weekend falls only 6%, next one should beat 8.8 too. Maybe one after that if it continues on a crazy path.

10.0 (-6%)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

So how many more of TGS's weekends will beat it's ow? If numbers hold up and this weekend falls only 6%, next one should beat 8.8 too. Maybe one after that if it continues on a crazy path.

10.0 (-6%)

The digital release is in 2-3 weeks, so I imagine it might start dropping a bit more then. I have no clue WTF Fox is thinking releasing it on Blu-Ray 75 days after theatrical.