That One Girl

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood | Nov 22 2019 | TriStar | Tom Hanks stars as Mr. Rogers | Marielle Heller (Can You Ever Forgive Me?) directing

Looks rally sappy.  I'm 25 and I remember watching Mr Roger neighbourhood when I was really young but I don't know if I'm as emotionally connected to it as some older people are. Will still check it out. 

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Looks good, but Hanks is a little distracting here. Didn't even try to change the cadence of his voice to actually sound like Fred.

But the body language!! The hand movements!! He was totally embodying Fred. I think that if he couldn’t nail that voice, it was better he didn’t do it.  I also it works cause Tom Hanks has such a Mr Rogers vibe anyway, that you can enjoy it as a meta piece too. 

Got emotional watching it. Between this, Knives Out, and Frozen i am gonna be dead outside a ditch beside my movie theater in November. Can’t wait 

• Like 2

As somebody who lurks AwardsWatch (I know), one of the big things they've mentioned is that the script only has Mr. Rogers as a supporting character, with the focus being Matthew Rhys' character. I mean I obviously get why Sony is positioning the entire marketing campaign around Hanks, but that could be a problem when it comes to WOM.

25 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

As somebody who lurks AwardsWatch (I know), one of the big things they've mentioned is that the script only has Mr. Rogers as a supporting character, with the focus being Matthew Rhys' character. I mean I obviously get why Sony is positioning the entire marketing campaign around Hanks, but that could be a problem when it comes to WOM.

If this is crowd-pleasing enough I don't think it'll be a big problem

6 minutes ago, DAR said:

I smiled throughout the trailer

Me too. Really liked it.

For those unfamiliar with Mr. Rogers, I think it’s worthwhile to watch Won’t You Be My Neighbor? before watching this. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but I am pretty uncomfortable with the fact that a Chinese company is financing a film about an American icon. Tencent is also producing the sequel to one of the most American films next year. Green Book last year was also produced by Ali Baba. 

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 10:07 AM, lorddemaxus said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but I am pretty uncomfortable with the fact that a Chinese company is financing a film about an American icon. Tencent is also producing the sequel to one of the most American films next year. Green Book last year was also produced by Ali Baba. 

It's a good point. I don't like it either

https://deadline.com/2019/07/a-beautiful-day-in-the-neighborhood-sharing-is-caring-for-tristars-mister-rogers-trailer-1202653824/

Sharing is caring and when it comes to the late, great Mister Rogers people care a lot.

That’s the lesson learned today from the trailer launch for the Sony TriStar Pictures release A Beautiful Day In the Neighborhood (which stars Tom Hanks and opens Nov. 22). The digital launch was a clear viral victory with 36.4 million views in the first 24 hours of release and 59.8 million after two days, but the more interesting aspect of the success is the sentimental wave that carried the trailer to that far-flung digital constituency.

Fans were engaging the trailer in a big way both by sharing and engaging in social conversations, most of which were dominated by personal tributes to the gentle pioneer of children’s television. People were talking about their feelings, and what’s more Mister Rogers than that? The trailer sparked 163,000 social conversations in its first day, in fact, which is roughly double the total posted by fan-favorite Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

The trailer’s social media share rate was on par with superhero movies like Venom and Spider-Man: Homecoming. Trailer views don’t count toward box-office receipts nor do they provably predict opening weekend performance but the launch success is a nod to. the fact that Rogers remains a much-beloved figure even 18 years after the farewell episode of his Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

This doesn't surprise me in the least.

I watched Mr. Rogers when I was little. I wouldn't say I'm nostalgic about it at all. After all, it's a young children's TV show. We're not talking about superheroes or even Disney animated classics. Yet, when the trailer came out there was that wave of nostalgia and I felt as if I did care dearly about the show the whole time.

It was weird, and yes I am seeing it!

On 7/25/2019 at 5:45 AM, filmlover said:

A startling number people in my own personal circle have brought this movie up since the trailer landed saying that they can't wait for this. It's really quite something. Thinking at least a Wonder type of run is in store.

I wonder how Sony is going to sell it OS because Mr Rogers isn't a known figure outside of the US unlike say Sully which was a major news story.