That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

5 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

There are no comps. Just through Saturday Black Panther is the TOP grossing movie alltime at 80 AMC theaters!  That is insane.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/black-panther-top-grossing-film-history-at-33-amc-theaters-1085844

-Im sticking with 700M. I know that seems silly for a Feb movie and that it's well above even Avengers...but this is not gonna follow established patterns.  

I think 200 for the weekend is in play, but I'll go with 197 for now. 700 would be a 3.55 multiplier from a 197 opening. Very similar to Spidey 1's multiplier in 2002. Very difficult to do in the modern era of frontloading, but not impossible considering Wonder Woman's insane multiplier. 

I think it's interesting to see Peter Rabbit pull ahead of Fifty Shades Freed for the weekend; Peter Rabbit will likely be the modest success it deserves to be in the States, and it'll use overseas as a platform for profit.

Both Jumanji and Greatest Showman are holding better than I ever thought they would.

I hope Pure Flix learns from the fact that 15:17 to Paris grossed 4x Samson's amount this weekend. If Pure Flix wants to make a better statement in the film industry, they need to try harder.

I still think Early Man's gross is disheartening. Very undeserved disappointment. They should've chosen a better date.

I'm rooting for Maze Runner to make as much as it can, but it seems like it is sputtering out. Maybe it can reach $60 million domestic. We'll see.

Interestingly, the people behind Den of Thieves have yet to announce their box office numbers.

And all of the 2017 prestige / Oscar-candidate films are losing theaters like crazy; I don't know what the deal is, but this year just isn't the year for them for them to strike it big with audiences. (Though Hostiles losing over 1,000 theaters is the one that makes sense to me.)

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Well, I doubt it'll have audiences storming out of the theater in disgust well before it's over like mother! did, for starters. Also, Arrival was a "brainy" sci-fi movie that ended up legging it out to over $100M despite just a B CS grade. Of course, I'm not expecting Annihilation to be another Arrival but I imagine most of the people who go in not expecting a full-on sci-fi action picture will appreciate it.

There’ll be a niche who really like it: Horror buffs will like a few moments, arty SF fans, and so forth. But yeah, there’s gonna be a fair amount of “I don’t get it” reactions too. 

Over EX MACHINA would be a win. 

5 minutes ago, Alexiswills12 said:

Its the bestselling movie in history at 80 AMC locations..

Has an A+ Cinemascore..

I really think it will have a multiplier close to WW.

I really don't see that happening, no chance.

The reason WW could get a 4x multiplier is because it only made a $100m in it's opening weekend AND was released in the summer holidays.

Just like every other Marvel film, it will be forgotten in under a month.

Edited by IronJimbo

1 minute ago, Alexiswills12 said:

Its the bestselling movie in history at 80 AMC locations..

Has an A+ Cinemascore..

I really think it will have a multiplier close to WW.

I can’t see it making THAT much. I’m feeling a final DOM total just over Rogue One. Wonder Woman played for months upon months with people discovering it over time, BP has hit the zeitgeist in such a way that there’s bound to be an element of frontloading despite the high CS and WOM.

Plus, IW will undoubtedly cut its late legs out from under it in 10 weeks.

16 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Get a life. Stop posting on this board all the time. Life exists outside it. Lmao 

Oh gosh another is damned by KJsooner to stop posting on these boards.. who is next?!!

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I really don't see that happening, no chance.

The reason WW could get a 4x multiplier is because it only made a $100m in it's opening weekend AND was released in the summer holidays.

Just like every other Marvel film, it will be forgotten in under a month.

Forgotten in a month?

Lmao 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1