grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

There’s an awful lost of revisionist history going on here in regards to Jurassic World and  especially The Force Awakens. I’m not particularly wild about JW, but let’s not pretend that the vast majority of people didn’t throughly enjoy both of those movies back in 2015. Both were seen as a return to form for their respective franchises.

• Like 7

Just now, SnokesLegs said:

There’s an awful lost of revisionist history going on here in regards to Jurassic World and  especially The Force Awakens. I’m not particularly wild about JW, but let’s not pretend that the vast majority of people didn’t throughly enjoy both of those movies back in 2015. Both were seen as a return to form for their respective franchises.

Yep. TFA hype was real and practically everyone loved it. You dont gross nearly a billion DOM without people loving you as a movie. Ill never forget that 38M first Wednesday gross, it was ridiculous.

The negativity with regards to Star Wars started with The Last Jedi. And speaking for me personally, while i dont mind TFA, the Sequel Trilogy in general lost me with Rise of Skywalker. If your end stumbles so hard, the beginning suffers as well.

But back in 2015, TFA was the shit.

• Like 1

I'm the one who brought up TFA in this thread.

I didn't doubt its gargantuan resounding popularity on release one bit. Or its immense success.

If anything my point was based on it - its immediate popularity despite being such an incredibly flawed movie was, in the long run, a very bad thing. In my opinion. I would proffer Rise of Skywalker (and the divisive response to TLJ) as the evidence of that.....ultimately JJ Abrams proposed, and mainstream audiences immediately accepted.....a vision of a franchise that involved no forward momentum. Nothing new. More insulting in fact: A literal repeat presented as an evolution. A vision of Star Wars that unlike any other previous version of canon or non-canon Star Wars, good or bad, had not a scurrock of influence of anything other than itself: Star Wars. 

I said that in decades from now I suspect that we will perceive TFA (and JW) the way we perceive Jaws 2 today. Please note that Jaws 2 was also a resoundingly successful film on release. Mainstream audiences resounding accepted Jaws 2 just as they accepted The Force Awakens, and just as the former of those films marks a historic landmark in franchisification and pointless sequels that harmed the movie industry irrevocably, we see the same with that one-two whammy of TFA and, to a lesser extent, JW. In my opinion.

Neither of those films are as bad as the Lion King remake. But their success paved the way for that movie: a film that sits in the top 10 biggest selling movies of all time despite being the most artistically dead-behind-the-eyes entity that it is possible for a film to be. A film that epitomises this aspect of contemporary filmmaking.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

What is pretty remarkable about it is that it is the movie with the most dinosaur species and im pretty sure it also has the most scenes with dinosaurs in the series, but the dinosaurs dont drive the plot at all, only the characters do, which is unlike every other JP/JW movie.

Im pretty excited for my 2nd (and 3rd lol) viewing tomorrow, because now i know what this movie is and im curious if i like it more the 2nd/3rd time around.

Going for my 4th viewing tomorrow or the day after, and I want to focus on all the tiny little nods or references to TLW and JP3. Since you've seen it you'll have a fairly good idea what I'm talking about but I can't go any further into it without entering spoiler territory. 

My fifth will definitely be a drunk viewing. Idk if there will be a sixth - I'm just not as free these days as I was when the first two world movies came out. Kinda fits the trend too! I saw JW 18 times at the cinema, and FK 9 times. Therefore technically I should see JWD 4.5 times so I'll just round it off to 5 lol. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I'm the one who brought up TFA in this thread.

I didn't doubt its gargantuan resounding popularity on release one bit. Or its immense success.

If anything my point was based on it - its immediate popularity despite being such an incredibly flawed movie was, in the long run, a very bad thing. In my opinion. I would proffer Rise of Skywalker (and the divisive response to TLJ) as the evidence of that.....ultimately JJ Abrams proposed, and mainstream audiences immediately accepted.....a vision of a franchise that involved no forward momentum. Nothing new. More insulting in fact: A literal repeat presented as an evolution. A vision of Star Wars that unlike any other previous version of canon or non-canon Star Wars, good or bad, had not a scurrock of influence of anything other than itself: Star Wars. 

I said that in decades from now I suspect that we will perceive TFA (and JW) the way we perceive Jaws 2 today. Please note that Jaws 2 was also a resoundingly successful film on release. Mainstream audiences resounding accepted Jaws 2 just as they accepted The Force Awakens, and just as the former of those films marks a historic landmark in franchisification and pointless sequels that harmed the movie industry irrevocably, we see the same with that one-two whammy of TFA and, to a lesser extent, JW. In my opinion.

Neither of those films are as bad as the Lion King remake. But their success paved the way for that movie: a film that sits in the top 10 biggest selling movies of all time despite being the most artistically dead-behind-the-eyes entity that it is possible for a film to be. A film that epitomises this aspect of contemporary filmmaking.

I’d have said the prequel trilogy would have been forgotten by now if I’d predicted its legacy in 2005.  It’s now as revered by a generation as the OT was. 
Different generations take to different ways of doing things, and like it or not…we all change. 

I find people finding the PT to be superior to the new trilogy to be absolutely staggering. But that kind of proves my point.  The PT literally is Star Wars to people in their late 20’s/early 30’s. 

I can accept that my Jurassic Park is not what a new generation’s Jurassic Park is. Same goes for Star Wars. 

I might agree that the new SW trilogy suffered from a lack of a proper plan, but that won’t stop a new generation utterly adoring it - just like they will the new Jurassic World trilogy. 
I also think as we get older we have considerable rose-tinted glasses when it comes to what we hold up as perfect, but then criticise newer versions for things those originals were guilty of. 
I mean ROTJ (which I unabashedly worship by the way) had stuff in it that’s just as ropey as some of TROS). 

I’ve watched on in amazement as tons of ‘fans’ this week have criticised the new episode of Obi-Wan for flaws that are there for all to see in their beloved original film! Lol. 

like you said though…it’s all opinions. As @Brainbug the Dinosaur said earlier, I try to just see the best in stuff that I am already emotionally attached to. Appreciating that others are going to love stuff that might turn me off in what I perceive to me my movie. 

We see eye to eye on Lion King 2019 though. It might undermine what I’ve said above, but I’ll stand by you until the end on that one! 

Good discourse. We’re in that quiet moment before the storm tomorrow as the numbers begin to roll in. 
My gut feeling is that JWD’s weekend is going to be better than some are expecting after the mixed reviews. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yep. TFA hype was real and practically everyone loved it. You dont gross nearly a billion DOM without people loving you as a movie. Ill never forget that 38M first Wednesday gross, it was ridiculous.

The negativity with regards to Star Wars started with The Last Jedi. And speaking for me personally, while i dont mind TFA, the Sequel Trilogy in general lost me with Rise of Skywalker. If your end stumbles so hard, the beginning suffers as well.

But back in 2015, TFA was the shit.

TFA was the shit. As was TLJ. 

As for TROS  :whosad:

I blame the ‘fans’ for what we got with that third one. But that’s another story. 

Hopefully i’ll be pleasantly surprised with Dominion tomorrow. I’m not going to lie…I’m really excited to see it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’d have said the prequel trilogy would have been forgotten by now if I’d predicted its legacy in 2005.  It’s now as revered by a generation as the OT was. 
Different generations take to different ways of doing things, and like it or not…we all change. 

I find people finding the PT to be superior to the new trilogy to be absolutely staggering. But that kind of proves my point.  The PT literally is Star Wars to people in their late 20’s/early 30’s. 

I can accept that my Jurassic Park is not what a new generation’s Jurassic Park is. Same goes for Star Wars. 

I might agree that the new SW trilogy suffered from a lack of a proper plan, but that won’t stop a new generation utterly adoring it - just like they will the new Jurassic World trilogy. 
I also think as we get older we have considerable rose-tinted glasses when it comes to what we hold up as perfect, but then criticise newer versions for things those originals were guilty of. 
I mean ROTJ (which I unabashedly worship by the way) had stuff in it that’s just as ropey as some of TROS). 

I’ve watched on in amazement as tons of ‘fans’ this week have criticised the new episode of Obi-Wan for flaws that are there for all to see in their beloved original film! Lol. 

like you said though…it’s all opinions. As @Brainbug the Dinosaur said earlier, I try to just see the best in stuff that I am already emotionally attached to. Appreciating that others are going to love stuff that might turn me off in what I perceive to me my movie. 

We see eye to eye on Lion King 2019 though. It might undermine what I’ve said above, but I’ll stand by you until the end on that one! 

Good discourse. We’re in that quiet moment before the storm tomorrow as the numbers begin to roll in. 
My gut feeling is that JWD’s weekend is going to be better than some are expecting after the mixed reviews. 

As much as I agree and acknowledge that the PT is much more popular within a younger generation, not way it has ever reached nor it will ever reach the same level of popularity, cultural impact and artistic influence on subsequent generations filmmakers the same way the Original Trilogy did. It's not even comparable. The prequels are a popular trilogy, to be certain, but side by side by other contemporary film series that have had a similar or even greater cultural impact. The OT really stands on its own as a colossus.

The same goes for the first Jurassic Park when compared to any sequel

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Merkel said:

As much as I agree and acknowledge that the PT is much more popular within a younger generation, not way it has ever reached nor it will ever reach the same level of popularity, cultural impact and artistic influence on subsequent generations filmmakers the same way the Original Trilogy did. It's not even comparable. The prequels are a popular trilogy, to be certain, but side by side by other contemporary film series that have had a similar or even greater cultural impact. The OT really stands on its own as a colossus.

The same goes for the first Jurassic Park when compared to any sequel

I’m not saying it will, but considering the fact that less than 20 years ago much of fandom was pretending the PT never happened, it sure is a big deal these days. 

As for Jurassic Park - it was so good not even any sequel to it, or blockbuster in general has really touched it in 30 years. 

One of the exceptions being you know what….. Talk to me Goose

52 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

The only negative rating were 1 two star rating that felt the movie was woke and sponsored by PETA and the second was a 1 star that didn't even see the film because they were late and wasn't refunded on Fandango.

PETA 😂😂 WTF