grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

Scientifically inaccurate? Sure. Mildly infuriating, sure. But it's not without precedent. Jurassic Park gave us 6 ft tall velociraptors that existed in Montana USA. A giganotosaurus and others wouldn't be that far a stretch in terms of in-universe science and paleontology.

I'm not a huge fan of what Trevorrow has done with the franchise post JW (including some parts of JW1) but the prologue would've been a neat addition to JWD from a story based perspective, not to mention that it was beautifully shot.

Fwiw Trevorrow is STILL tweeting about the whole 'Revenge of the Rex' plot he had in mind, and as ridiculous as it sounds, it makes little sense without the prologue - because then it looks like the Giga deserved its fate for something far more trivial. Point is I'm not a fan of what he was intending to do, but with the scene in the final movie at least we would've got the full story he was trying to tell, regardless of how it makes us feel. 

But as some others have said, I at least expected them to add the T Rex drive in scene to the final cut. 

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: accidental spoilers 

Edited by scoobysaurus
  • Like 2

Just now, scoobysaurus said:

Scientifically inaccurate? Sure. Mildly infuriating, sure. But it's not without precedent. Jurassic Park gave us 6 ft tall velociraptors that existed in Montana USA. A giganotosaurus and others wouldn't be that far a stretch in terms of in-universe science and paleontology.

I'm not a huge fan of what Trevorrow has done with the franchise post JW (including some parts of JW1) but the prologue would've been a neat addition to JWD from a story based perspective, not to mention that it was beautifully shot.

Fwiw Trevorrow is STILL tweeting about the whole 'Revenge of the Rex' plot he had in mind, and as ridiculous as it sounds, it makes little sense without the prologue - because then it looks like deserved to Giga get impaled for stealing a dead deer. Point is I'm not a fan of what he was intending to do, but with the scene in the final movie at least we would've got the full story he was trying to tell, regardless of how it makes us feel. 

But as some others have said, I at least expected them to add the T Rex drive in scene to the final cut. 

Just my 2 cents.

You're not wrong there but I guess what I think makes the prologue a bit more frustrating Cretaceous wise is the "This is scientifically accurate" thing Trevorrow said when its maybe the most inaccurate thing in the franchise. Though it doesn't help that I'm not big at all on the Giganotosaurus rivalry with the Rex plotline.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

You're not wrong there but I guess what I think makes the prologue a bit more frustrating Cretaceous wise is the "This is scientifically accurate" thing Trevorrow said when its maybe the most inaccurate thing in the franchise. Though it doesn't help that I'm not big at all on the Giganotosaurus rivalry with the Rex plotline.

+1 on the rivalry part. I was soured on this idea before the film even released due to his exposition on this generational rivalry where the rex is a hero, the giga a Joker-esque supervillain and their meeting 65 million years later is supposed to symbolise karma being served on a silver platter by a reincarnated hero to her (also reincarnated) arch nemesis. 

And yeah, it doesn't help when you're going for scientific accuracy on the one hand and throwing it out the window with the other. It might have helped with the "character arc" Trevorrow had in mind for Rexy but yeah you're right I cannot defend his choices with a straight face lol. Fwiw I thought it was an entertaining film and I'll leave it at that. Sigh 

• Like 1

Btw this is just my personal opinion and everyone probably knows that im totally biased, but i truly think this movie gets bashed way too hard. After seeing it multiple times, it becomes clear what Trevorrow was trying to achieve with it and the story themes and while the execution is lacking in many areas, its not terrible at all. This movie doesnt deserve a rating of 30% or under at RT. It is FAR from beeing a disaster and its box office numbers show that as well so far.

I really appreciate the film for what it is.

• Like 2

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Btw this is just my personal opinion and everyone probably knows that im totally biased, but i truly think this movie gets bashed way too hard. After seeing it multiple times, it becomes clear what Trevorrow was trying to achieve with it and the story themes and while the execution is lacking in many areas, its not terrible at all. This movie doesnt deserve a rating of 30% or under at RT. It is FAR from beeing a disaster and its box office numbers show that as well so far.

I really appreciate the film for what it is.

I totally get you. I too don't think it deserves 30% on RT. And I'm far from being a hater of the movie, on the contrary I want every bit of Jurassic content to do well because I'm a self admitted blind fanboy of the franchise. But then again I too am clear on what Trevorrow was trying to achieve and that's where we disagree because I'm not a huge fan of his vision post JW1, but that still hasn't stopped me from seeing JWD multiple times to support our beloved franchise, and even put in a positive word to all my family and friends, because at the end of the day JWD is thoroughly entertaining IMHO and although it's flawed, doesn't really deserve the hate it gets. I hope it crawls past $1b WW. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scoobysaurus said:

I totally get you. I too don't think it deserves 30% on RT. And I'm far from being a hater of the movie, on the contrary I want every bit of Jurassic content to do well because I'm a self admitted blind fanboy of the franchise. But then again I too am clear on what Trevorrow was trying to achieve and that's where we disagree because I'm not a huge fan of his vision post JW1, but that still hasn't stopped me from seeing JWD multiple times to support our beloved franchise, and even put in a positive word to all my family and friends, because at the end of the day JWD is thoroughly entertaining IMHO and although it's flawed, doesn't really deserve the hate it gets. I hope it crawls past $1b WW. 

1 Billion will be very very tough. What gave me a little more hope yesterday/today was its relatively good hold in the OS marekts. -54% was good considering Europe was likely deflated because of the heat wave, so ill bet we will see quite a nice hold next weekend in those markets. And China overperforms imo for it, 110M+ is safe from there. At the moment, i think its going in the 870 - 930M range WW, but a few more good holds DOM and OS could maybeee put 1 Billion back on the menu.

• Like 1

Just did a full series rewatch, including 3 and JWFK which I hadn’t seen in years.

and I’m going to amend previous statements. My ranking is still JP > JW > JWD > TLW > JWFK > JP3, however, JWFK and JP3 weren’t nearly as bad as I remembered them being.

So yeah, I like all of them to varying degrees. I don’t love all of them, but I like them all.

• Like 1

Finally saw Dominion. I'll say this about it, I don't think the script was actually that bad. I think if Bayona or someone else directed this it would have resulted in a better received film. The visuals are just kind of bland overall with a few exceptions like when we see Howard underwater. But I thought it was generally pretty fun.

• Like 2

Most people seem to have written off $1 billion, but Deadline for some reason still thinks it is a likelihood. 

https://deadline.com/2022/06/top-gun-maverick-jurassic-world-dominion-elvis-global-china-international-box-office-1235052205/

Meanwhile Universal/Amblin’s third Jurassic pic is doing dino-mite business with a $43M international box office weekend propelling it to $747M global. JWD crossing $700M makes it only the 7th film to do so during the pandemic. The offshore total through Sunday is estimated at $443.8M. And that’s with a drop of just 45%. Will it cross $1B? Signs point to yes.

So what is the realistic ending point for Dominion?

Edited by Nublar7

25 minutes ago, Nublar7 said:

Most people seem to have written off $1 billion, but Deadline for some reason still thinks it is a likelihood. 

https://deadline.com/2022/06/top-gun-maverick-jurassic-world-dominion-elvis-global-china-international-box-office-1235052205/

So what is the realistic ending point for Dominion?

Deadline gonna Deadline…

Earlier i was pissed at Top Gun Maverick eating into Dominion's business.

Now after watching it twice in IMAX, o see why, not only it is deserving of every money it is generating, but it also makes it look much worse what Colin Treverow did.

I mean chances that you would've made a movie on par TGM were extremely low, but Atleast give audience what you promised and don't lie to us.

Leaked online and has FINALLY given us a full understanding of the new post-pandemic studio windows:

• Paramount = Officially 45 Days - Unofficially 28 days after Korean Release
  • WB = Officially 45 Days - Unofficially 28 days after Korean Release
  • Disney = Officially between 30 - 50 days after release
  • Fox = Officially 45 Days after release
  • Universal = Officially between 17 and 19 days for movies with OW under $50m AND 45 days for everything else - Unonficially 36 days from Korean release
  • Sony = Officially 45 days from release

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

I think this will end up around $900 million when it's all said and done.

I think higher, it’s only $70m away from $900m just now and just had a $42m+ worldwide weekend. Plus I think it still has Japan to open. 

• Like 1

Yeah id say 950M is looking close to a lock at this point with 970-980M beeing my prediction for its final range. An overperformance in Japan (60M+) could lead it to 1 Billion when all is said and counted.

Well, let's see. Without Japan, I'm expecting JW3 to end it's international run with around $545-555 million max. As far as domestic box office, this would be a potential rest of it's box office run:

July 8-10: $9 million / $351 million

July 15-17: $ 6 million / $361 million

July 22-24: $3.5 million / 367 million

July 29-31: $1.8 million / 370 million

August 5-7: $0.9 million / 371.5 million

With a Labor Day stretch and possible bringing back to more screens, I think $373 million are the most optimistic chances for this one.

Let's say I use both international and domestic numbers at their higher ends, that would give JW3 $928 million, and I can hardly see it pulling $72 million in Japan. Not at this point.

11 hours ago, ViktorLosAngeles said:

Well, let's see. Without Japan, I'm expecting JW3 to end it's international run with around $545-555 million max. As far as domestic box office, this would be a potential rest of it's box office run:

July 8-10: $9 million / $351 million

July 15-17: $ 6 million / $361 million

July 22-24: $3.5 million / 367 million

July 29-31: $1.8 million / 370 million

August 5-7: $0.9 million / 371.5 million

With a Labor Day stretch and possible bringing back to more screens, I think $373 million are the most optimistic chances for this one.

Let's say I use both international and domestic numbers at their higher ends, that would give JW3 $928 million, and I can hardly see it pulling $72 million in Japan. Not at this point.

So yeh. Closer to $1b than $900m then.