grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

2 minutes ago, The Dark Rock said:

From the reviews so far it looks like better than FK. So probably around 60s at RT?

Id like to believe that but i still think it will be in the 30s. Cant see how tha majority of US critics wont trash it.

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Lower than FK and TGM??? This can risk them a 350m total. Universal hasn't been going so well throughout recovery.

I believe they are lowballing to be on the safe side and have positive headlines.

16 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Id like to believe that but i still think it will be in the 30s. Cant see how tha majority of US critics wont trash it.

That would be worse than FK's 47 score. So far whatever the reviews we have seen do not suggest it is worse than FK. Don't see it going below 50. But let's wait for few more reviews.

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I believe they are lowballing to be on the safe side and have positive headlines.

They are lifting review embargo too early, June 8 3pm EST. I wonder if mixed reception will slow down the Thursday preview and that effect carried over to the weekend.  Since pandemic recovery, We seldom see major movie opening make 10x from preview. If anything less than $15m for Thursday preview, I can't see the Universal is lowballing the figure.  

Just now, titanic2187 said:

They are lifting review embargo too early, June 8 3pm EST. I wonder if mixed reception will slow down the Thursday preview and that effect carried over to the weekend.  Since pandemic recovery, We seldom see major movie opening make 10x from preview. If anything less than $15m for Thursday preview, I can't see the Universal is lowballing the figure.  

I dont expect the bad reviews to dampen Dominions momentum too much tbh. Fallen Kingdom had its bad reviews revealed eary as well and the GA didnt care.

This franchise has appeared until now to be critic-proof. Theres no reason to expect something else for Dominion until proven otherwise in my opinion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

THIS. People always wanted to see a fully functioning Jurrasiac Park; Jurrasiac World gave it to them.

Supprising thing is it took them that long to do it. It would have been the obvious direct sequel to JP.

GIF by Vidiots

it needed this guy’s approval 

12 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Lower than FK and TGM??? This can risk them a 350m total. Universal hasn't been going so well throughout recovery.

I agree that Universal hasn't been doing well. But, if this gets to over $100 million it would probably still be okay.

They have a strong chance for the rest of the year though too. Minions, Nope, Halloween Ends, etc.

44 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Am with @Eric the Last Dinosauron this. Never heard anyone say that they went to see a Jurassic movie for the park. People want to see the dinos in cool and memorable scenes with somewhat tolerable characters. The ending of FK promised a cool movie about dinos rampaging in the world, and I'm pretty disappointed that it seems like this wasn't followed through.

I don’t think it’s about the park per se, but the broader concept of being trapped in the Dinos world, and trying to escape to freedom, and the character story told within that framework. “Normal” people getting caught up in a disaster and having to react and survive 

But once you move the story more into a more spy/thriller vein, where it’s nefarious people trying to use/sell dinos for personal gain, then it’s no longer the Dino’s world, it’s the human world with dinos as a plot device - that a different story, that doesn’t resonate as well, especially with sub-par writing and one-dimensional characters 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Why would you (or anyone else) expect this to open higher than Fallen Kingdom? Given that Fallen Kingdom's opening was coming off the well-received first film, while this is opening off the back of a film that was received very negatively by the pulic.

Opening weekend should be critic proof. Summer is just beginning. Big budget monster films have a large built in audience. Jurassic Park name, and the old crew is back. Based on early reactions of general audiences and critics, it's the second weekend Universal might want to be worried about.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

She was too good at gymnastics to make it to any other movie.

Fair enough. That seems understandable. 👩🏻‍💼

Though what if Universal did ever thought of wanting Vanessa Lee Chester (the actress who played Kelly) to return as that character in anything Jurassic-related in their franchise? Whether it be in another movie or a tv-show (if they might) or something. Just saying. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Though another question to those who m really like/are a fan & defender of Lost World: Did you really like that character?

3 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Fair enough. That seems understandable. 👩🏻‍💼

Though what if Universal did ever thought of wanting Vanessa Lee Chester (the actress who played Kelly) to return as that character in anything Jurassic-related in their franchise? Whether it be in another movie or a tv-show (if they might) or something. Just saying. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Though another question to those who m really like/are a fan & defender of Lost World: Did you really like that character?

I didn’t dislike her. The gymnastics moment sucked, but she was fine in it. Her reaction to a T-Rex in the tent when Julianne Moore wakes her up is EVERYTHING these World films are not interested in. 

24 minutes ago, motionpic05 said:

I agree that Universal hasn't been doing well. But, if this gets to over $100 million it would probably still be okay.

They have a strong chance for the rest of the year though too. Minions, Nope, Halloween Ends, etc.

Not sure the Minions is going to be that big. I think they have sort of peaked.

17 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

Opening weekend should be critic proof. Summer is just beginning. Big budget monster films have a large built in audience. Jurassic Park name, and the old crew is back. Based on early reactions of general audiences and critics, it's the second weekend Universal might want to be worried about.

I think if a film is critic proof, it is  a JP movie. People love dinosaurs.

Though it it gets a tepid FK type reaction , it will hurts it's legs a little. But Universal will still make a ton of money from this movie.

• Like 1