WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 80) | Black Panther 111.7M | Game Night 17M | Peter Rabbit 12.8M | Annihilation 11.1M | Fifty Shades Freed 7.1M | Jumanji 5.7M

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

What worries me about Black Panthers run isn't the fact people have flocked to see it in America, as far I know it's a great superhero movie. It's how well Infinity War will do that worries me... the better IW does.. the more superhero movies there will be. I'll do what I can to support original films by film-makers but I fear that business plan film-making is becoming more and more prolific.

I'm envisioning a dark world, a horrible place, where cinema only shows superhero movies and everything else is straight to netflix... please will someone save us? There's only one person who can save us... he will and can, god bless his soul.

ap_17062861620084_wide-c4f993d850e269128

MV5BNjE3NDQyOTYyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODcy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

That simply isn't true and people are going to be very very wrong about this.  Disney plans to let Fox do what they usually do but with some integrated cost savings.  

Disney needs more content, not less and they are going to let Fox and Fox Searchlight continue to operated as usual.  

I am sorry but I will only believe this when I see it. I hope you are right, tho.

37 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

No need to be so rude as usual Empire, as you know these films all would have made double without the business plan film-making in the way, without the Last Jedi in the way feeding of the nostalgia of masses like money hungry dementors (shout out to the potter gang) Jumanji would have been the one to make $600m. Imagine a world where Disney instead works with big name directors to help them get their vision onto the screens, instead we have what I call backwards film-making, the studio (heartlness) chooses the film then finds a right pieces to complete it.

Big' Jimmy (6ft2 btw) is the only man who can save us.. big budget films with big heart, class meets success, vision meets creativity, talent meets genius, the Avatar saga will revolutionise cinema just as Camerons films before it did.

I know how much it frustrates you all that Star Wars isn't number 1 or 2 so remember this post when Avatar 2 makes $3 billion, and Empire City I want you to be the one to give the latest scoop on the best box office run of all time, it would make me a very happy Jimbo.

I'm 6ft3 can I be Big' DAJK?

36 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

No need to be so rude as usual Empire, as you know these films all would have made double without the business plan film-making in the way, without the Last Jedi in the way feeding of the nostalgia of masses like money hungry dementors (shout out to the potter gang) Jumanji would have been the one to make $600m. Imagine a world where Disney instead works with big name directors to help them get their vision onto the screens, instead we have what I call backwards film-making, the studio (heartlness) chooses the film then finds a right pieces to complete it.

Big' Jimmy (6ft2 btw) is the only man who can save us.. big budget films with big heart, class meets success, vision meets creativity, talent meets genius, the Avatar saga will revolutionise cinema just as Camerons films before it did.

I know how much it frustrates you all that Star Wars isn't number 1 or 2 so remember this post when Avatar 2 makes $3 billion, and Empire City I want you to be the one to give the latest scoop on the best box office run of all time, it would make me a very happy Jimbo.

I think we’ll get plenty of interesting, experimental films from Fox once the takeover is done. 

Fox as a division won’t be under the same pressures to deliver monster blockbusters to compete in the marketplace. 

We know the move is more about content and that great back catalogue. But I wouldn’t be so sure that Disney wouldn’t want to make interesting, daring films under the Fox banner. 

They had different release dates so the numbers are racking up in different ways, but so far TDK (adjusted) and Panther are tracking very close to each other. $202m opening weekend and $400m total after 10 days. TDK adjusted is $680m, so that would be a pretty good target for Panther. Should be fun to see how it goes. Incredible performance. 

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&adjust_mo=&adjust_yr=2018&id=darkknight.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=marvel2017b.htm

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think Disney is mainly using fox to beef up their streaming service. I’m not really scared about the small films that Fox searchlight produces but the mid budget stuff that Fox usually makes are in danger. Disney is in the tent pole business. 

• Sad 1

Imagine if, in spite of all the unparaleled YT views and the deafening pre-release hype, IW opened with "only" 189-190 domestic and ended with "only" 550-560 million? :D 

I truly doubt that IW, as gigantic as it will be, outperforms BP, which, as we all know has transcended being just another superhero smash.

The stakes are higher every year, and what IW will gross will be phenomenal, but not *cultural phenomenon phenomenal.* 

Although we all know that being a pop culture phenom doesn't necessarily require that you make a billion dollars (neither Wonder Woman nor Thelma & Louise did, but nobody can deny how those two became iconic films in their own right), but BP has had the good fortune of all stars aligning for it, and of course, it has brought something new to the genre as it stands in 2018. Being somewhat of a political lightning rod (like WW and T&L were) doesn't hurt, and that's why I think IW will be *just* another gigantic smash for Marvel.

What BP is, on the other hand, is a game-changing watershed moment.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Alexiswills12 said:

He who earns more gets to claim the salute. 😁 

Black Panther salute is a raised clenched fist.

They should not steal other peoples IP.

Edited by AndyK
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

49 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

For Lady Bird to make 50m, you needed to have critics saying to you for 6 months it s one of the best movies ever made.

What an accomplishment in deed.

I am stunned.

:o:what:

Absolutely.

Meanwhile, the awful discount-store studio that gave us BP has to settle for 700 million dollars in 10 days.

Walmart is slipping... 

Edited by StevenG

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

What the fuck are you talking about?

We are right now at this moment in a domestic marketplace that has given a historic run to The Greatest Showman pushing it to nearly $175m.  Wonder made $130m+ and Pitch Perfect 3 made $100m+.  Murder on the Orient Express made $100m+ and immediately got a sequel.  Daddy's Home 2 made $100m+ and will get another sequel.  Fifty Shades Freed is about to go over $100m.  Jumanji will go $400m+

Three Billboards, Shape of Water and Darkest Hour are all going to go $60m+ on very modest budgets.  Lady Bird will go $50m+ and I, Tonya will go $30m+

Even Insidious: Shitty Sequel made nearly $70m on a $10m budget.  

The box office is alive and well and doesn't need Lil' Jimmy to save it.  

Are you seriously suggesting that the US box office is not completely dominated by sequels and "franchises" at the moment, and by historical standards compared to just 20 years ago? Just because you can list a few original films that didn't flop?

And this gets all the recs. :winomg:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1